Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Who's the most disrespected great here on ISH?

I saw jlauber post about Wilt in the "Rondo's performance best in a playoff loss?" a day or two back. He's definitely still a permanent fixture on that guys skeet sack.

As far as disrespected greats, I can agree with Allen Iverson. The latter part of his career, still fresh in the minds of many, seems to defer attention away from the truly spectacular individual strides he made in establishing his legacy.

College star

Larry Bird
    Bill Russell

An Icon Forever

Bill Russell

Bill Russell PERIOD!

Bill Russell won 11 titles in 13 years. This includes the last title in 1969 when he beat a Lakers team with Prime Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and Wilt Chamberlin (who was just outside of his prime.) Oh yea... did I mention he did this as PLAYER/COACH of the team?

Imagine Doc Rivers coaching the Celtics and running point guard at the same time? That's basically what Russell did while defeating West, Baylor and Chamberlin for his 11th title in 13 seasons!

That's how great Bill Russell was!

I have never seen any remotely knowledgeable NBA fan have Bill Russell outside of their top 5 or 6 greatest players in the history of the game untill I discovered this message board.

The heck with Jordan's 6 rings or Kobe's 5 championships, this is the greatest winner ever in the NBA and American team sports history.

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex
    Bill Russell PERIOD!

Bill Russell won 11 titles in 13 years. This includes the last title in 1969 when he beat a Lakers team with Prime Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and Wilt Chamberlin (who was just outside of his prime.) Oh yea... did I mention he did this as PLAYER/COACH of the team?

Imagine Doc Rivers coaching the Celtics and running point guard at the same time? That's basically what Russell did while defeating West, Baylor and Chamberlin for his 11th title in 13 seasons!

That's how great Bill Russell was!

I have never seen any remotely knowledgeable NBA fan have Bill Russell outside of their top 5 or 6 greatest players in the history of the game untill I discovered this message board.

The heck with Jordan's 6 rings or Kobe's 5 championships, this is the greatest winner ever in the NBA and American team sports history.
    This is true I have to agree with this, it's certainly Bill Russell

There's so many. AI is the most recent "past" great, before him I think Webber is pretty disrespected in terms of he never gets talked about.

From the years I can think of

Russell
    Wilt
    West
    Baylor!!!!!!!
    Oscar
    Stockton (over shadowed by Malone)
    Rodman
    Pip
    Webber
    AI

just off of the top of my head.

Those players are either over rated, played in weak eras, or are second options.

The future generation will start with KG when he retires, Kobe when he retires, Wade when he retires, and LeBron when he retires.

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA

That Russell Signature is worth $, he didn't hand that sh*t out like other athletes do

kidachi
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Who's the most disrespected former great NBA player on InsideHoops?

BULLS was the only one I remember who kept on bashing Bill Russell..

Quote Originally Posted by kidachi
    BULLS was the only one I remember who kept on bashing Bill Russell..
    Take a poll and see how many posters on IH think he's still *in the discussion* as the GOAT and you'll see why he's the most disrespected former great. It's not that he's bashed so much as written off or forgotten. He gets ranked behind guys who didn't accomplish jack in comparison, and most people are completely oblivious to his freak athleticism and impressive versatility/size
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 05-31-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Iverson.
    according to ISH: iverson=cancer

Yeah it's definitely IVO and I bet people would even say LOL IVO NOT A FORMER GREAT.

-Smak

To an extent...

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Allen Iverson.

Current: Kobe, LeBron, Iverson. Kobe and LeBron are more like hated rather than disrespected, but I'd say both.

Retired: Russell, Wilt. "They're overrated cause they played in a weak era" and such