Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rivalries Never Die Faptastrophe's Avatar

Default Re: Drazen Petrovic appreciation thread!

He was a truly great player and he opened the door for Europeans in the NBA.

Greatest European shooter of the 90's.

College star

Top 10 GOAT SG.

Good college starter Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar

Doesnt surprise ke about the showering. dirk has routinely said that a lot of Euro basketball players dont shower. Makes it easier for yhem to play defense.

This is the first sports death I actually remember feeling upset over. Even my Dad, both of us die-hard Celtics fans, was at a loss. What you saw when he played was just undeniable, one-of-a-kind talent.

He didn't open the door for Europeans so much as he kicked it the hell open and made a big noise while doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax17
    Some great info here, thanks :)

For me the best international player ever.
    No question about it, Drazen was
    I loved watching him play.

Petro je peder

National High School Star Mrofir's Avatar

respect

Drazen was one of the players who had no fear of Jordan and went right at him, his fearless nature as well as his great talent are reasons why people have so much respect for him.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by julizaver
    Two years ago I have made a H2H of D. Petrovic against other SG (Jordan, Drexler, Dumars, Miller, Starks and so on) from early 90s. I took his final two seasons with NETS, because in his first two he was part time player with Blazers (after his 91 midseason move to NETS his playing time increase to 20 mpg, but still not sufficient and he did not started in any of the games till the end of the season).

So in his last two seasons he has better numbers than everybody except Jordan and Drexler in his H2H meetings. He generally outplayed Reggie Miller also, who is the closest one to him. In fact he kicked his ass in some games.
    I have also read an old article in which Reggie said of Drazen at the time and called him bad trash talker with an accent. And there was an info about how Drazen said to Reggie that he will make 3 consecutive shots over him and saying how exactly it will happen and he did it. Thats why Reggie consider him his all time nemezis and better shooter than him. Vary sad Drazen career was cut short by that terible incident in Germany. He was in his prime years and my personal view is that he could eclipse his numbers (had he stay alive or in NBA, since there were rumors of him moving to Greece dutring the summer he died).

About duels with Jordan (Bulls games, not Olympics) I noticed in youtube video that Drazen was guarded more often by Pippen, not Jordan and he scored a lot of his points outplaying Pippen and going for a lay up rather than scoring from outisde.
    Drazen was a hard cover because he was always moving (like Reggie and Hornaceck) and like them was very elusive and smart. You had to respect his shot, and he knew that. He used every inch to get an open look and could hit shots off balance, on the run, floaters, you name it. But he was just deceiving with his quickness. Even when you watch footage of him playing, he doesn't look quick per se, yet he got the step on people once they closed on him. It's the type of player you hate to guard because he's efficient in his play. To me he reminded me of that guy that shows up half drunk, smoking a cigarette while playing, looks out of shape, is strong as an ox, can't jump, can't move, but yet manages to drop 30 points with ease with everybody screaming "switch switch!!!" with every touch.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Drazen was a hard cover because he was always moving (like Reggie and Hornaceck) and like them was very elusive and smart. You had to respect his shot, and he knew that. He used every inch to get an open look and could hit shots off balance, on the run, floaters, you name it. But he was just deceiving with his quickness. Even when you watch footage of him playing, he doesn't look quick per se, yet he got the step on people once they closed on him. It's the type of player you hate to guard because he's efficient in his play. To me he reminded me of that guy that shows up half drunk, smoking a cigarette while playing, looks out of shape, is strong as an ox, can't jump, can't move, but yet manages to drop 30 points with ease with everybody screaming "switch switch!!!" with every touch.
    Unlike Reggie and such Drazen had also fantastic handles/ballcontrol and was a very flashy passer, he was used as a point-guard alot back in Europe and Olympics (even against the dream team if you noticed). In his prime / at his best i like to compare his game/style to Jerry West.
    Last edited by pauk; 01-05-2013 at 05:47 AM.

Dunking on everybody in the park Djahjaga's Avatar

I'm from Kosovo. My dad still talks about Petrovic all the time. It's a bit hard to take him seriously at times because he refuses to admit Drazen's faults. Any takers? What were the deficiencies in his game?

Edit: I never saw him play, so everything I know about him is from YouTube and stories. From watching videos, I've seen that: A. he's obviously a ridiculously good shooter and B. he had good, but unspectacular handles.

His last season he was playing 38 mpg and still only got 2.7 boards (3.1 being his career high). I realize he was out on the perimeter a lot (because he was damn good: 45% on 3 attempts from the arc over his last two years), but this is just horrendous rebounding any way you cut it. His playmaking was alright for a SG. I'm not sure if his role allowed him to assist much. He looked like he could run the break well in the Olympics games I've watched of him, so I'll assume he could average 5 assists if he had to, but the turnovers worry me; he had almost a 1:1 ratio for his career and you can see the turnovers trending upward as his assists did at almost an identical rate.

Again, I can't really make any claims for sure because I'm not qualified, having not watched him play, but I can't see him being a 30-5-5 player in the NBA. Not unless he played the whole 48 minutes. And even then.
    Last edited by Djahjaga; 01-05-2013 at 02:20 PM.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by Djahjaga
    I'm from Kosovo. My dad still talks about Petrovic all the time. It's a bit hard to take him seriously at times because he refuses to admit Drazen's faults. Any takers? What were the deficiencies in his game?.
    He was an amazingly efficient scorer (60.5 TS% in his last season), but he got rather few rebounds, not that many assists and comparatively many turnovers.

And for my taste he took too few 3 pointers for the kind of accuracy he had. His two last seasons were 3.4 and 2.4 3pa, shooting 44% of them.
    Ray Allen for example has 5.9 3pa as his career average.

On top of that, his efficiency dropped badly in the playoffs and his last playoff run was really horrible.
    Last edited by brain drain; 01-05-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Dunking on everybody in the park Djahjaga's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brain drain
    He was an amazingly efficient scorer (60.5 TS% in his last season), but he got rather few rebounds, not that many assists and comparatively many turnovers.

And for my taste he took too few 3 pointers for the kind of accuracy he had. His two last seasons were 3.4 and 2.4 3pa, shooting 44% of them.
    Ray Allen for example has 5.9 3pa as his career average.
    All things considered, the three wasn't considered a huge weapon until the line was shortened in '95, after which the NBA fell in love with it, even when the line was unshortened.

Europe discovered the use of the three before teams in the States, though. But overall, players took fewer threes then. Today, he would almost definitely take closer to 5 threes a game.

Edit: And if he played for the Nets today? Can you imagine having him in one corner and Joe Johnson on the wing (or vice versa) while D-will runs a PnR with Brook? Who do you help off of?
    Last edited by Djahjaga; 01-05-2013 at 02:55 PM.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by Djahjaga
    All things considered, the three wasn't considered a huge weapon until the line was shortened in '95, after which the NBA fell in love with it, even when the line was unshortened.

Europe discovered the use of the three before teams in the States, though. But overall, players took fewer threes then. Today, he would almost definitely take closer to 5 threes a game.
    True to a degree, but Reggie Miller for instance was already averaging around 4.5 3pa between 89/90 and 92/93, while never making 44% of them.