Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 09-05-2006, 10:01 PM   #1
final.wrath
Banned

Default Rashard Lewis

Hi guys, I'm a piston fan first but raptors fan second. That's because I'm really excited to see this team develop into the next fast paced suns style club.

anyways, on to the point. rashard lewis says he will opt out of his contract next year with the sonics. i think he would be a PERFECT fit for your team with the excellent shooting and great length. how much cap room will the raptors have by then? i think enough, right? I hope you can snag him. maybe a sign and trade with mo-pete and graham for lewis? imagine having almost 3 seven footers on the court at the same time. that'd be badass. is this possible? also, can you use the MLE plus your cap space to sign a player or just either or?
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:45 PM   #2
the truth
...since 95

Did he really say that? Iíve only heard him say he wants to be a Sonic for life (after his draft day nightmare).

I've always liked what Rashard has brought to the game but with our roster I donít know if he is the best fit. We need a defensive minded player with a decent offensive game, not an offensive minded player with a non-existent defensive game. Well not quite non-existent but not what we would need. I wouldnít be opposed to it as long as the price wasnít insane like recent contracts.

If I could pick a player to fill the void at SF it would be Gerald Wallace. He would be a perfect fit, as long as he stayed healthy. I have no idea what his contract situation is, I think he just re-upped on a multi with Charlotte so Rashard would be a decent consolation prize.

As far as the cap situation goes, assuming we resign Ford and Mo-Pete, we should have enough space to bring in a player like Rashard.
the truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:28 PM   #3
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth

As far as the cap situation goes, assuming we resign Ford and Mo-Pete, we should have enough space to bring in a player like Rashard.

Not sure if you meant to say we 'should not' have enough space because we definitely won't have the space. You also can't combine the MLE with other cap space. Once we re-sign TJ, we need to deal with Mo Pete. The only way we may have some space is if we let him walk and even then, it's not until he actually signs with another team that it comes off our cap figure. The NBA has it set up that way so teams can't spend all their money on free agents, and THEN re-sign their own guys. Can't double dip. The only way we could get Rashard would be through a sign and trade or if he takes the MLE.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:11 AM   #4
final.wrath
Banned

apparently gerald wallace can opt out in 07 if he wants. i dont know what his plans are though.

for contract info: http://www.dfw.net/~patricia/contracts

rashard lewis statement (from 2005): http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports...-4845743c.html

now i must admit i havent watched all that much of lewis except for when he plays the pistons, but I know he can shoot and hes 6'11. TJ Ford's not a great shooter, and with Mike James gone I feel the Raps will need one. I mean, Garbajosa won't start over Peterson will he? Even if he does the three point line is closer in Europe and we'll wait and see how the psychological change from being a star in Europe to the new challenge of being a rookie effects his game.

are the raptors going to play zone defense this year? i know Lewis is weaker defending the perimieter but he still isnt completely without defense. though nothing compared to wallace. but i think the bobcats would be crazy to not match every offer for wallace. i guess it depends on what happens with the cats this year. if morrison can lift this team into possible playoff contension (assuming okafor stays injury-free) maybe wallace would stay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KZTU...ld%20W allace

yeah theres no way he would take the MLE. and yeah im assuming mo pete would be dealt in that situation. but who would have the cap space then to sign him outright? The magic? Scary....
Old 09-06-2006, 04:59 PM   #5
brwnman

I been rooting for Rashard to come here since he started having second thoughts about staying in Seattle... it's interesting though, I am a Raptors fan first then a Pistons fan second...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:06 PM   #6
Rapsfan4life
Great young streetballer

I would love to see Rashard in a Raps uni. I have been a fan of him and his size and talent is something to the Raps could use. He will probably ask for a hefty salary.
Rapsfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:42 PM   #7
Too_Cool
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth
If I could pick a player to fill the void at SF it would be Gerald Wallace. He would be a perfect fit, as long as he stayed healthy. I have no idea what his contract situation is, I think he just re-upped on a multi with Charlotte so Rashard would be a decent consolation prize.

Lewis a consolation prize to Gerald Wallace?
Too_Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:36 PM   #8
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too_Cool
Lewis a consolation prize to Gerald Wallace?

I'd rather have Gerald Wallace over Rashard Lewis too. Not that he is the more talented player but I think he would be better suited for the Raps.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:46 PM   #9
final.wrath
Banned

i'd say theres a better chance to get lewis than wallace though.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:26 PM   #10
the truth
...since 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
I'd rather have Gerald Wallace over Rashard Lewis too. Not that he is the more talented player but I think he would be better suited for the Raps.

Exactly my point. BTW consolation prize does not imply extreme inferiority. Just that he would be the second choice out of the two players IMO.
I think you (too cool) were just looking for an excuse to use the
the truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:08 AM   #11
Nhui
I brick open layups

I have a gut feeling Colangelo is going to pull another blockbuster sometime during the season which will include one or more of the following; Peterson, Graham, and one of his euro signings for someone like Rashard Lewis or a player of his calibre.. I think we are a star SF away from being a top playoff team and don't think MoPete is a solid starter for us to make that happen (a very solid role player though). Would love to have a guy like Marion but what would we have to give up? I wonder if Colangelo has an untouchables list.. I only see Bosh and maybe Bargnani, but I don't really see Bargs as completely untouchable either.. Bargs for Marion? who knows.. I kind like that deal but dont know if I would have the guts to pull it.. that is why I'm not Colangelo
Nhui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:25 PM   #12
final.wrath
Banned

they wouldnt take barn for marion anyway. and the raptors wouldnt trade him either. (why do people say bargs if you dont pronounce the g? i propose we call him barn or barns forthwith)

but heres the thing, what do the sonics have to gain from a trade for lewis unless they know they won't pay for what he's asking next season. do mo pete and joey graham and maybe a pick outdo any other possible offers? what other teams would realistically be able to get him? I'm thinking magic. They'll have a hell of a lot of cap space next season and with everyone improving they'll look atractive. but...if jj reddick provides the shooting they need maybe not. any other ideas?
Old 09-07-2006, 10:22 PM   #13
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

That is a good point you made. If the Sonics were looking to trade Rashard there are many teams that could probably give a lot more than we could.
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: