Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Default Re: Rubio Doesn't Want To Go To Memphis or OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    I was referring to an everyday 9-5 job.
    Which is why you lack understanding. You are comparing a regular joe in a 9-5 situation to a desired professional athlete. They aren't the same, nor are their occupational situations the same.

Which is why he said:

"then either you're not in very high demand or you dont know the first thing about negotiating."

Your situation isn't the same as his situation. You can't walk into McDonalds looking for work and demand a manager position.

Magic Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    Which is why you lack understanding. You are comparing a regular joe in a 9-5 situation to a desired professional athlete. They aren't the same, nor are their occupational situations the same.

Which is why he said:

"then either you're not in very high demand or you dont know the first thing about negotiating."
    Of course they aren't the same.

I was just commenting because I was bored, get over it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror
    There is no team in the NBA that is going to start him right now coming in, being 18 years old. If he doesnt want to earn his way up, he should stay in Spain until he is well into his 20s.
    To name a few:
    Grizzlies
    Thunder
    Kings
    T'Wolves
    Warriors
    Knicks
    76ers
    Hawks
    Blazers
    Rockets
    Lakers

And those are the teams I am 100% sure he would start for from Day 1 if they could draft him, there are other teams who I am not 100% sure he would start for though.

Quote Originally Posted by Interminator
    To name a few:
    Grizzlies
    Thunder
    Kings
    T'Wolves
    Warriors
    Knicks
    76ers
    Hawks
    Blazers
    Rockets
    Lakers

And those are the teams I am 100% sure he would start for from Day 1 if they could draft him, there are other teams who I am not 100% sure he would start for though.
    Not so sure about teams in bold.

To name a few:
    Grizzlies
    Thunder
    Kings
    T'Wolves
    Warriors
    Knicks
    76ers
    Hawks

Blazers
    Rockets
    Lakers

I think the bold ones aren't accurate.

Reports I've heard out of Memphis is that they are high on Conley and were pleased with his progress. I don't think they would give RR his job from day 1 with no questions asked.

Same with Westbrook in OKC, unless they think he can play the SG position and move him over to play alongside RR.

As for the 76ers and Hawks, that depends on if they plan to sign any PG's on the market. If their plan is to use RR right away to replace Miller and Bibby, then he would probably start.

As far as Houston goes, Brooks has really shown something in the Laker series, and I don't think Adelman would brush that aside.

The Lakers and Jackson don't play young PG's if they have a veteran. Ron Harper and Brian Shaw played over a young Fisher his first couple years. We see now Fisher is playing over Brown and Farmar. I highly doubt RR would impress Jackson enough to take over that team right away.

To name a few:
    Grizzlies
    Thunder
    Kings
    T'Wolves
    Warriors
    Knicks
    76ers
    Hawks
    Blazers
    Rockets
    Lakers

Youre telling me, an 18 year old fresh out of the euro league, is going to start on some of those, from day one, over the players they have there? Sorry, but i dont think so.

Rubio is good, but hes far too young to be THAT good on most of those teams.

To name a few:
    Grizzlies
    Thunder
    Kings
    T'Wolves
    Warriors
    Knicks
    76ers
    Hawks
    Blazers
    Rockets
    Lakers

You're an idiot if you really believe that.
    I'm huge Ricky fan, but as a rookie he'd probably only start for the Wolves, Kings and Grizzlies (considering they traded Conley).

Bucks fan

Rubio already has an endorsement deal with Nike including his own shoe in Spain.

Obviously the deal increases when he comes to the United States, Nike will cover it for it to happen.
    Not obvious to me - I have no access to the Nike contract, and can imagine it containing a million different provsions (or not).

I think Memphis holds all the cards here. Draft him, and let him decide whether or not to come over this year. As long as he plays professional basketball anywhere in the world, Memphis holds his rights forever. If he ever wants to come over to the NBA, he has to spend his first five years in Memphis.

Is there really a risk that he'll just decide to never enter the NBA... ever?

Memphis is not in championship contention mode right now, and in the scheme of things it doesn't really matter whether Rubio develops under their watchful eye next year, or over in Spain. In fact, the more of his formative years he spends in Spain, the more of his prime years he will be contractually obligated to play in Memphis.

That's assuming they view him as a franchise player. If they don't think he's all that special, then just trade him to Sacramento or wherever for the best return you can get.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    I think the bold ones aren't accurate.

Reports I've heard out of Memphis is that they are high on Conley and were pleased with his progress. I don't think they would give RR his job from day 1 with no questions asked.
    If we draft Rubio #2 are you telling me we're going to bring him off the bench?
    We're not using 2 PG's anymore, we learned under Lowry/Conley and it took Lowry being traded for Conley to begin to emerge and become more confident.

If Rubio goes to Memphis, we trade Conley. No questions.

Same with Westbrook in OKC, unless they think he can play the SG position and move him over to play alongside RR.
    Westbrook slides over to the 2, hes an undersized slasher and could excel off the ball with Rubio throwing lobs.

As for the 76ers and Hawks, that depends on if they plan to sign any PG's on the market. If their plan is to use RR right away to replace Miller and Bibby, then he would probably start.
    Thats why they are on the list, if they could draft Rubio they wouldn't have to resign either.

As far as Houston goes, Brooks has really shown something in the Laker series, and I don't think Adelman would brush that aside.
    Brooks is a solid scorer but he can be more effective coming off the bench changing the pace with his speed and ability to get to the basket.
    Rubio fits perfectly as a defensive minded pass first PG who could flow their offense.

The Lakers and Jackson don't play young PG's if they have a veteran. Ron Harper and Brian Shaw played over a young Fisher his first couple years. We see now Fisher is playing over Brown and Farmar. I highly doubt RR would impress Jackson enough to take over that team right away.
    Brown is an undersized SG, not a PG.
    Farmar is a scoring guard, nothing about him suggests he can lead a team at PG.
    Fisher is an interesting case because he did play some 2 with Utah,and could come off the bench in a 6th Man role which would be better considering his age.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chains5000
    You're an idiot if you really believe that.
    I'm huge Ricky fan, but as a rookie he'd probably only start for the Wolves, Kings and Grizzlies (considering they traded Conley).
    You're an idiot for believing that.

You're an idiot for believing that.
    It's people like you that create Rubio haters.
    Wait till he plays his first NBA game before considering him starting material for teams like LA, you idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    Can you name one job where you can go into the interview demanding what you want/need? If so, sign me up.
    A NBA/High Level College Coach going to a Middle School?

Quote Originally Posted by Foster5k
    Yeah... I think it's over in 2011-2012..

The thing with Rubio is.. he would, in my opinion, be stupid, to stay in the draft, if he doesn't get what he wants.

Hell.. his buy-out is what 6 million euros? He will have to pay most of that out of pocket.. and in the economy... I doubt he will get a big time marketing contract..with nike or addias..

I doubt he may never come to the NBA.. but if he does.. I think it will be most likely be in 2012... if not then.. then never

I thought it was 8 mil? Regardless, the NBA team can only give $500,000 of the buyout, and I doubt Rubio puts up the rest to come over. Next year, his buy out goes up to $11 mil, making it more unlikely that he'll come over next season, so I think its possible not to see him in the NBA until the 2011-12 season.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by adamcz
    Not obvious to me - I have no access to the Nike contract, and can imagine it containing a million different provsions (or not).

I think Memphis holds all the cards here. Draft him, and let him decide whether or not to come over this year. As long as he plays professional basketball anywhere in the world, Memphis holds his rights forever. If he ever wants to come over to the NBA, he has to spend his first five years in Memphis.
    Memphis doesn't hold his draft rights forever, because once his Euro contract is up he is able to avoid the rookie contracts because technically hes a free agent.If it gets to that point he can come over in 2012 where he can negotiate his own deal like as a FA.

That is why guys like Scola & JCN had their rights traded 1 year before their Euro contract expired.

But we run the risk of his value dropping by holding onto him for too long and we would end up wasting a #2 pick in the process.

It makes sense by sticking a point to Rubio & his advisors, but it makes zero sense if we want to improve our team and wasting a #2 pick and in the process keep a player out of the NBA.

Memphis doesn't hold his draft rights forever, because once his Euro contract is up he is able to avoid the rookie contracts because technically hes a free agent.If it gets to that point he can come over in 2012 where he can negotiate his own deal like as a FA.

That is why guys like Scola & JCN had their rights traded 1 year before their Euro contract expired.
    Another ignorant post.

Memphis holds his rights until they trade it, which is possible, or simply decide to renounce it, which is highly unlikely.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chains5000
    It's people like you that create Rubio haters.
    Wait till he plays his first NBA game before considering him starting material for teams like LA, you idiot.
    Actually I didn't believe the hype at first with YungGrease hypinh him, and this goes as far back as 2007.

He made me pay attention to the Euroleague games he played in and to watch Spain in the 2008 olympics.

Rubio at his age is advanced and he could start for the Lakers from day 1 at PG, unless something happens such as an injury which limits his effectiveness in training camp and allows Fisher to keep the starting job with Rubio as the back-up.

But the Lakers aren't getting Rubio, so I'm done discussing it.