Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Real Signature Moves: Michael Jordan's Mid Air reverse layup

In Honor of MJ's 50th....we break down his most Iconic move.

OK First off......many people think MJ's sig move was the fallaway/Fadeaway Jumper...or a "slam"..( buzzer sounds)...WROOOONNNGG!

- I take you back to what made his AIRNESS.....

- MJ would get past 1 defender and take it right into the lane.....acting like he would go straight up...only to hang in the air and proceed to under 1 , 2 sometimes 3 defenders and lay it up softly off the glass.

- Before the pretty jumpers or fancy foot work.....AIR JORDAN would just jump....hang......twist......and find a way to make a shot over/around /behind you.....

- You couldn't do anything about it.

In Basketball it's not always just the "flashy" moves that make a player great...it's the small details...the little things that seperate great players from thier peers.

1) Attack your defender off the dribble ( MJ used a baseline attack more often then not for this move)

2) Lower your shoulder and get past his inside arm......when you get close enough to the RIM....take off using a 2 foot launch.

3) Act like you are going straight up.....when your defender jumps ( also when help defenders arrive) Float under/between them and switch hands and lay it up on the opposite side of the Rim.

( Warning) only those with top shelf quikness/athleticism/Body control should attempt.!!

VS Atlanta...When I first saw this play in 85'...I knew it was over for the League.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYaH...ailpage#t=139s

The reason I think this move is so important....because it showed that no one could takeaway a part of MJ's game.

example: You force a player baseline.....you are still on his hip....help defense comes and he rises/ splits the double team in mid air and gets a easy layup ( not easy , but for him it was)

it was heartbreaking for teams....

again....just ungaurdable...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYaH...ailpage#t=131s

obviously Doctor J used to do similair moves before MJ....But Jordan took it to a whole nother level.....

he used it not only on the break but in half court sets......and once his game evolved into a more allaround game......he could attack anyhwere...it was over again!(bowdown)

using it again in the Finals.....switches hands....from middle...

On Fire my AZZ!!!........you were always so damn COLD!

Last edited by AlphaWolf24; 02-06-2013 at 02:58 PM.

The ? to All Answers TheAesirsFinest's Avatar

Default Re: Real Signature Moves: Michael Jordan's Mid Air reverse layup

Another excellent Signature Moves post bro.

This is probably my favorite element to his game. Forcing players to drive baseline was/is almost a universally smart defensive principle. Then Jordan came along

NBA sixth man of the year

lol, this is great *cues* haters...

Quote Originally Posted by TheAesirsFinest
    Another excellent Signature Moves post bro.

This is probably my favorite element to his game. Forcing players to drive baseline was/is almost a universally smart defensive principle. Then Jordan came along

(Fist bump)

so true....

couldn't force him baseline......when you did he would get a EZ layup...

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Here's the other angle for the Nets one:

Ok I love MJ...but what you are describing is a simple up and under move. I could pull them off in my sleep during my playing days. Obviously not with near the style of MJ, but lets not make this out to be some otherworldly, god like move that is impossible for mere mortals to pull off.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe
    Ok I love MJ...but what you are describing is a simple up and under move. I could pull them off in my sleep during my playing days. Obviously not with near the style of MJ, but lets not make this out to be some otherworldly, god like move that is impossible for mere mortals to pull off.

Serious or Troll?

- If serious then....

- anyone could do any Kind of Moves.....8 year olds can no look pass....does that mean Magic Johnson was doing basic moves...

an average Highschool player can do a step back or Fade away...does that mean Dirk or Bird just do average moves?

- If you watched MJ in his first 6 seasons.....his combined ability of Creating in mid air was IMO the arguably the single greatest showmanship in sports history...and definatley the main catalayst in MJ's ability to become sponsored by Nike....then the most famous Athlete ever.

- is it an average move?...hell no.....it's a pretty hard move to do...especially against pro players...IN THE NBA......when you are the main scorer.

- Yes just because I could dunk in the 8th grade....I guess Dominique wilkins is doing average moves

PS:...not a up and under.....Up and under Move is a post Move....

Turn and shot fake.....as your defender jumps for the fake ......step past him ( usually under his weak side) for a easy layup/dunk.
    Last edited by AlphaWolf24; 02-06-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Here's the other angle for the Nets one:

- Look at sam bowie on the end of the bench....

Nice post, great move

The ? to All Answers TheAesirsFinest's Avatar

Are you serious? In what world is shot-faking in mid-air, gliding past the help defender's reach, and reversing the ball a "simple up and under"?

couldn't find a Tru up and under move from MJ.....found a step through ( wich incorporates similar idea/foortwork)

In a reverse layup...you end up shooting it on the oposite side of the hoop as you started....

and MJ was leaping from a 2 foot gather off of the dribble!!!.....

2 completley different moves....2 completley diffrent set ups ( off the dribble vs Posting up)

NOW U KNOW!....and KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!

wtf? isn't this poster the biggest kobe homer/MJ hater on ISH? what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Derivative
    wtf? isn't this poster the biggest kobe homer/MJ hater on ISH? what happened?
    He's finally come to his senses All kidding aside, Alpha has given MJ his props in the past but he does love trolling MJ fans in Kobe vs MJ threads.

Banned

Its so Sad how Hang Time is Lost in this Weak asss New Era.

MJ Hang Time was UNSTOPPABLE.

Kobe,Vince, and T-Mac was 3 players who actually had Hang Time with Skills to finish around the rim and D-Rose being the only new Generation to use it.

Good Post.

Banned

LOL

Its about how you execute the move

You sure can get up like MJ to pull of those moves in ur sleep