Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2013 US Open Thread

Eugenie Bouchard is extremely cute

Isner trying to finish off Monfils in a great 2nd round matchup.

Monfils could be so much better than what he is usually is. He can put on the best show in Tennis but he has no serious attitude about winning. He justs cares about getting the most applause or cheers from a crowd. I am amazed on how he won over the US crowd playing against the US #1 player. But he will never live up to his talent because he just loves to clown around.

Gael Clownfils always a clown

Truth is Monfils plays great defense because of his athleticism, but is very average in every other aspect of the game. You're right though that he lacks the mental toughness of the top players. He also tends to be injury prone, because he exerts so much energy on defense.

If Monfils was going to become a legitimate top 10 player, he would need to develop a killer groundstroke (forehand or backhand), and vastly improve his serve. Towards the end up of the match he wasn't even breaking 100mph on his serve. That won't get it done against any of the top players.

My girl Sloan through to the 4th round to probably face Serena Williams, whom she beat last time they played.

dammit the dream QF is dead. Fed shit the bed today

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    dammit the dream QF is dead. Fed shit the bed today
    nadals about to do the same

Nadal wins. Systematically broke down Kohli, which wasnt very easy. Hes a solid player.

Oh Fed. Now i have to wonder if you really tanked the match to avoid playing Rafa the beast.

I honestly think Fed lost on purpose because he didn't want to lose again to Rafa in the QF. It's hard for me to say that, but I've never seen Fed fail to convert on so many break chances, especially against a guy he's handled so easily in the past. It's like he wanted to show that he could win the match if he really wanted to.

Truth is, he would have lost to Rafa in QF barring some kind of injury. Fed has officially begun the decline, and although he claims he wants to play for 2-3 more years, I'm not sure his ego can withstand losses to guys he would have cruised through in the past... and maybe even drops out of the top#10. Fed is one of my fav athletes off all-time, in any sport, and it's hard for me to watch his decline. I can only imagine how hard it must be mentally to fall from the top of the mountain.

That said, I think he could still win a major or two if he does play 2-3 more years. He will need some stars to align though, which will mean somehow dodging Rafa and Djoker, or perhaps an injury to one of those players. I'm not convinced Rafa's body will hold-up through the long hardcourt season.

Switzerland has a new #1 player. His name is Stan Wawrinka. Stan is the man!

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

i think stan can beat murray... ;)

i dont know if gasquet can beat nadal but who knows...

we maybe looking at nadal djoker again.. i want djoker to win to put and end to the streak of nadal..

lets go nadal! nadal got revenge on robredo for disrupting the FEDAL matchup. although he would have beat Fed pretty easily too. BUT not as badly as he did him. Nadals in top form, and should beat Gasquet, and then hopefully he'll face a worn out Djokavic or Murray. GET IT DONE NADAL!

viva espana im not even spanish

This Murray vs. Wawrinka match is going to be a good one.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    Monfils could be so much better than what he is usually is. He can put on the best show in Tennis but he has no serious attitude about winning. He justs cares about getting the most applause or cheers from a crowd. I am amazed on how he won over the US crowd playing against the US #1 player. But he will never live up to his talent because he just loves to clown around.

Gael Clownfils always a clown
    The same problem to a lesser degree with Tsonga and Gasquet and French athletes in almost every sport. The French public values pinache more than winning. Gasquet and Monfils don't seek metronomic perfection they like to be loose and look good. There is practically no "science" to sport in France like other countries. This is a generalization but their cyclists just practice going up and down hills no methodology to it, and in races have no discipline just attack attack and create dramatic footage for TV. Monfils drinks freaking coca-cola on changeovers, which is pretty commonly accepted for sports in France

Wawrinka finally wins the set on Set point #6.
    Andy Murray is a mess when he is messing up, looks hilarious screaming at himself