Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
    Local High School Star DirtySanchez's Avatar

Default Re: Shaq Responds To Kobe's Diss From A Few Weeks Ago

Quote Originally Posted by Rnbizzle
    I agree, Shaq with Kobe's work ethic could quite possibly have become the GOAT.
    THIS right here.

IMO Shaq should of been better then Wilt, Kareem, Russell....and dare I say...Jordan.

Lot of younger kids on the boards now a days but everyone who remembers Shaq's 99 to 02 run.......nobody could stop him period.
    It was almost unfair having Shaq on the team and Hack a Shaq did not work.
    Imagine if Shaq worked out etc. Lakers could of won a couple in more titles...sh*t could of won 5 or 6 in a row.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore csklmf's Avatar

Free throw can be practiced. Shaq said he couldnt do that. Cause he never practiced. We all knew that.

7-time NBA All-Star

When it comes to Shaq's work ethic, I particularly wonder what he could've done with a better attitude and work ethic in years like 1999, 2003 and especially his last 2 years in Miami.

At the same time, it's a miracle that his body held up that long considering his size and playing style. Especially looking at Oden, Yao, Walton, Sampson and numerous other big men who've had injury problems.

He definitely worked in 2000. Even Phil said that Shaq realized that season that the only way to win a title was going to be to work his ass off. Phil told him to take it easy over the summer prior to the 2000-2001 season and he started slower than 2000, but was back in his 2000 form after the first couple of months.

Putting on extra weight after the 2nd title definitely didn't help, but not pushing himself through certain nagging injuries was probably better for him in the long run when it came to the playoffs. With that being said, delaying the surgery prior to '02-'03 was the most childish, selfish, inexcusable thing he did during his career and played a huge part in ending that Laker team's run for a variety of reasons.

But it's hard to tell how much better he could've been, or if his longevity could've been much better. Don't forget that during his first season in Miami, he was his lightest weight since the 90's, played a career low in minutes per game and then broke down by the playoffs and missed playoff games for the first time in his career.

I also have to add that those who claim he never worked on his free throw shooting didn't follow Shaq's career. He was hiring shooting coaches and at several points saw big jumps in percentages. He also did add to his game over the years. He was nowhere near the passer or low post player he became when he entered the league.

His work ethic definitely could've been better, but to portray him as a guy who just coasted on natural ability throughout his entire career, never worked or added to his game ect. shows that you didn't follow his career. Any who watched him season to season could see the improvements in his post game until about '98, maybe slight improvements after that, and his passing game until about '00-'02 range.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    Shaq won with Kobe and Wade, who were elite of the elite
    Kobe won without Shaq 2 times, Gasol is elite, but he isnt in Kobe/Wade's league
    although Shaq's 2000 run was the only ring with an elite of the elite superstar (Kobe was a 21/4/5 guy in 00, made all d team, but wasnt to the top yet)
    Right, because the 2nd best player on a team makes up the entire cast.

Kobe was clearly better in 2001 and 2002 than Gasol was in 2009 and 2010, but even that doesn't tell you the story. The Lakers have as little chance of winning in '09 and '10 without Gasol as the '01 and '02 Lakers do without Kobe.

Gasol joined a Bynum-less Laker team in 2008, and the Lakers without Gasol or Bynum were 11-10, but they were 22-4 with Gasol excluding a game he left after 2-3 minutes. And keep in mind that Gasol played much better in '09 and '10 than he did in '08.

Quote Originally Posted by Allstar24
    KB was making a general statement...he doesn't like players who don't work out because that's his thing. Not sure why Shaq got his panties in a bunch...maybe because it hit close to home? At the end of the day, KB is already a bigger legend than Shaq and his career is far from over. Shaq should thank KB for always getting us through the difficult 3 rounds in the west so he could beat up on the weak teams in the finals and get his finals mvps. Dumbass.
    Kobe was the MVP of 2 total series during that 3 year run which were the 2001 and 2002 Spurs series. 2 out of 12 series.....and neither was the toughest series they played in either year.

I'm surprised to see such a poor post from you. From what i remembered, you always seemed pretty reasonable and objective.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
    I don't think people are saying he should have worked out crazy like Kobe.
    Quote Originally Posted by NBASTATMAN
    imagine how good Shaq would have been if he had kobe's work ethic...

Dunking on everybody in the park 24r2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus
    There is no shame in not being amazingly gifted in terms of athleticism and talent.

Kobe was gifted in both areas, but not as much as Shaq was. He ended up having a better career because of his work ethic. That's not sad, it's inspiring.