soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Default Old doc on sampling

Default Re: Old doc on sampling

Sampling has grown from the first days of hip-hop to where they'd basically use the whole track to where in later days, they'd take a piece here and a piece there and make something totally brand new.

As a musician, I've never sampled to make a track. I'd try to recreate a sing I like, but not take the exact song.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Default Re: Old doc on sampling

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Sampling has grown from the first days of hip-hop to where they'd basically use the whole track to where in later days, they'd take a piece here and a piece there and make something totally brand new.

As a musician, I've never sampled to make a track. I'd try to recreate a sing I like, but not take the exact song.
    I used to sample more in the past then I do now, and even then it wasn't much. Mom's had a few boxes of records that I used to sample, mostly Mexican and other spanish music.

I try not to sample because I get lazy to dig, it's that simple.

There is an art to it, but it honestly doesn't compare to creating your own shit. It does have a different raw feel tho. But once you figure things out you can make an original beat sound as tho it was sampled (if you're aiming for that sound).

In terms of sampling, I tend to focus on the melody and don't do much slicing. I basically just loop what I like instead of cutting it up into tiny bits and pieces. I've done the Dilla-Pete Rock cutting shit up into tiny pieces many times. It has a distinct feel, but I prefer the loop based sampling. Then there's the Preemo based style of sampling in which he makes a beat out of a sound. That can be more challenging because you have to make sense of something that wasn't even meant to be musical. It's also what most underground producers usually do. It can be simplistic in it's programming but one has to even catch it.

I decided to upload an old track for this thread.

https://soundcloud.com/agua-1/paint-it-black

Here's another old track in my SoundCloud page... this one is mellower (slightly).... watch for that bassline

https://soundcloud.com/agua-1/miles-davis-1
    Last edited by andgar923; 11-25-2013 at 04:48 AM.