Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

Default Re: What will be the most heartworming story this season?

b roy and hopefully greg oden :)

Quote Originally Posted by atljonesbro
    YOOOO WHY THIS NUGGA TALKIN BOUT HEARTWORMS LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Even my dog SKIPPY never had no damn heart worm how the fu*k this wack nugga tryin to say sum1 gone get heartworms

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

=)))

Quote Originally Posted by atljonesbro
    YOOOO WHY THIS NUGGA TALKIN BOUT HEARTWORMS LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Even my dog SKIPPY never had no damn heart worm how the fu*k this wack nugga tryin to say sum1 gone get heartworms

2 + 2 is 4

On a serious note, Greg Oden coming back to the NBA and playing to his full potential in his prime with no setbacks. What a cruel thing injuries can be...

If anyone wants to question Portland for picking Oden over Durant, you really don't understand basketball or the potential Oden had. Oden was one in a generation Centre in a weak Centre league.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jax
    Ray Allen destroying the Celtics and shitting on Rondo, that shit gonna warm my heart. FUEGOOOO
    I'll agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    If anyone wants to question Portland for picking Oden over Durant, you really don't understand basketball or the potential Oden had. Oden was one in a generation Centre in a weak Centre league.
    You must not recall that Oden's health problems were front and center during the whole draft assessment process. Some bodies just aren't built for the rigors of an NBA season, and I suspected early on that this was the case with him. Finding out that one leg was congenitally shorter than the other was another negative revelation.

I just thought that Durant had a higher ceiling and deserved to be the #1 pick. The whole 1984 MJ-Sam Bowie dilemma played out all over again -- and in the same city. I'd always rather draft the better player, rather than the best player for a position.

After watching Durant at Texas, there were clear indications that he could be a superstar on the next level. I never got that feeling watching Oden play.

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    You must not recall that Oden's health problems were front and center during the whole draft assessment process. Some bodies just aren't built for the rigors of an NBA season, and I suspected early on that this was the case with him. Finding out that one leg was congenitally shorter than the other was another negative revelation.

I just thought that Durant had a higher ceiling and deserved to be the #1 pick. The whole 1984 MJ-Sam Bowie dilemma played out all over again -- and in the same city. I'd always rather draft the better player, rather than the best player for a position.

After watching Durant at Texas, there were clear indications that he could be a superstar on the next level. I never got that feeling watching Oden play.
    There were the warning signs of course, but to predict Oden would be injured his entire career is nearly impossible.

I'll have to agree to disagree.

While I think durant has an amazing ability to score and do a little bit of everything, I still don't think he's on Lebrons level and he certainly didnt have as high ceiling as Oden did. Durant's frame is too skinny, his defense is poor on bigger bodies, he too often goes for his jumper when he should be driving it to the hole more. Oden had very few flaws. One is uncontrollable being injuries, and the other was ft shooting but even that wasnt bad. Yes, Portland made the wrong decision and should of went the safer option with Durant, to avoid criticism of selecting another Bowie, but on the other hand, they would of made the right call if Oden's injuries had disappeared.

There were the warning signs of course, but to predict Oden would be injured his entire career is nearly impossible.
    No, it wasn't. If one leg is longer than the other, you're 7' and 280lbs, and you run up and down a court for a living, that seems to be a permanent problem to me.

Also, people were constantly invoking the image of Sam Bowie, who's career was cut short by injuries. There was lots of speculation that the same thing might happen to Oden.

While I think durant has an amazing ability to score and do a little bit of everything, I still don't think he's on Lebrons level and he certainly didnt have as high ceiling as Oden did.
    KD was touted to be a superstar. He's lived up to that, led the league in scoring for three consecutive years, and is right behind LBJ for regular MVP consideration. How much higher of a ceiling can a player have?

Oden had very few flaws.
    I'm going to stop right there. You clearly haven't seen Oden play, and obviously have no clue as to what you're writing. I'm not going to waste my time educating you on how godawful wrong that statement is.

If you feel the need to discuss this topic again, do yourself a favor and get hold of a fact or two.

KD was touted to be a superstar. He's lived up to that, led the league in scoring for three consecutive years, and is right behind LBJ for regular MVP consideration. How much higher of a ceiling can a player have?

Kevin Durant has reached his potential, and is one of the best players in the league, largely due to his scoring ability. With that said, he will never be a good to great defender. With a slight frame that he has, he simply cant guard the bigger SF's in the game. Lebron abused him in the finals. I like Durant as much as the next bloke, but I find it hard to see him winning a championship, relying heavily on a jumpshot and a frame that cannot defend bigger bodies and guys who can post up on him.

I'm going to stop right there. You clearly haven't seen Oden play, and obviously have no clue as to what you're writing. I'm not going to waste my time educating you on how godawful wrong that statement is.

I stick by my statement that Oden had a higher ceiling. Oden was in the mould of a young Shaq, with better defense but inferior offense. Sure Oden was foul prone and free throws were a weakness, but those are common flaws among centres/forwards that gets better with experience.

If you feel the need to discuss this topic again, do yourself a favor and get hold of a fact or two.[/QUOTE]

Durant hasn't and will not win a championship as the man. Feel free to bump this, but I know it won't need to be.

Kevin Durant has reached his potential, and is one of the best players in the league, largely due to his scoring ability. With that said, he will never be a good to great defender.

I stick by my statement that Oden had a higher ceiling. Oden was in the mould of a young Shaq, with better defense but inferior offense. Sure Oden was foul prone and free throws were a weakness, but those are common flaws among centres/forwards that gets better with experience.
    Sure, Durant will never be the defensive force that Oden might have been, but overall he's a better player with a higher ceiling. He's still getting better, and if he actually bulks up a bit, he'll be challenging LBJ for the MVP for the next decade. In fact, he'll do that anyway, even at his current level.

Durant hasn't and will not win a championship as the man. Feel free to bump this, but I know it won't need to be.
    This was said about LBJ after the 2011 debacle. What happened then? This was said about Jordan after repeated failures to advance in the playoffs. What happened then?

I hate to break this to you, but Durant was in the Finals last year as The Man. Yes, he got spanked, but so did LBJ his first time there. You should never, ever count out a player who's actually manged to lead his team to the Finals.

The Thunder are the #3 odds-on favorite to win the championship this season. So, the people who bet on the NBA for their livelihoods obviously think much better of Durant's title chances than you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    Sure, Durant will never be the defensive force that Oden might have been, but overall he's a better player with a higher ceiling. He's still getting better, and if he actually bulks up a bit, he'll be challenging LBJ for the MVP for the next decade. In fact, he'll do that anyway, even at his current level.

This was said about LBJ after the 2011 debacle. What happened then? This was said about Jordan after repeated failures to advance in the playoffs. What happened then?

I hate to break this to you, but Durant was in the Finals last year as The Man. Yes, he got spanked, but so did LBJ his first time there. You should never, ever count out a player who's actually manged to lead his team to the Finals.

The Thunder are the #3 odds-on favorite to win the championship this season. So, the people who bet on the NBA for their livelihoods obviously think much better of Durant's title chances than you do.

Well agree to disagree and that is impossible to assess, since Oden is not currently playing and hasn't played in a long while...Durant would need to put on weight and bulk up considerably to overcome his lack of strength. And no, while the Heat are winning games, Lebron will continue to win MVP's, unless another superstar comes along with a better team.

LBJ's ability to not choke was at question, not his size or athleticism or talent. Same with Jordan, only that Jordan had trouble beating a superior team in the Pistons, until he got some actual help. Durant is different, he lacks the athleticism and he's not near the defender or size of Lebron or Jordan.

Betting odds are great and all, but three major flaws I see with the thunder is the PG has a low IQ, they lost Harden one of the key playmakers on the team other than westbrook, they have little to no post up play, and their main man is a jump shooter who cannot defend the best players in the league when the game is on the line, he is simply not strong enough and maybe doesn't quite know how to defend them either.
    Last edited by poido123; 11-11-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Well agree to disagree and that is impossible to assess, since Oden is not currently playing and hasn't played in a long while...Durant would need to put on weight and bulk up considerably to overcome his lack of strength. And no, while the Heat are winning games, Lebron will continue to win MVP's, unless another superstar comes along with a better team.

LBJ's ability to not choke was at question, not his size or athleticism or talent. Same with Jordan, only that Jordan had trouble beating a superior team in the Pistons, until he got some actual help. Durant is different, he lacks the athleticism and he's not near the defender or size of Lebron or Jordan.

Betting odds are great and all, but three major flaws I see with the thunder is the PG has a low IQ, they lost Harden one of the key playmakers on the team other than westbrook, they have little to no post up play, and their main man is a jump shooter who cannot defend the best players in the league when the game is on the line, he is simply not strong enough and maybe doesn't quite know how to defend them either.
    This isn't an "agree to disagree" type debate. You're just completely and spectacularly wrong.

You're making all kinds of declarative statements on what YOU feel, but aren't backed up objective data. Your opinions aren't facts. Remember that.

Take a look at Basketball-Reference's 2012-13 Leaders.

Review the defensive categories.

Kevin Durant is currently:

- #1 in Defensive Win Shares
    - #4 in Defensive Rating
    - #2 in Defensive rebounds
    - #9 in Total rebounds
    - #4 in Rebounds per game
    - #9 in Defensive rebound %
    - #15 in Steals

So, not only Durant not an inept defender due to his supposed lack of size and strength, he's rated one of the best in the game!

Do yourself a favor and review some of the information in the website I've cited. It might open your eyes a bit, and provide you with some factual foundation.
    Last edited by Shepseskaf; 11-11-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Banned

Celtics win the 'ship, KG and Pierce retire on top and Ray retires after losing to the Celtics in the ECF. Heartwarming :')