Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Default Re: Kyrie's take on Bill Simmons.

You guys are naive as hell. You dont need a second of basketball playing time in order to understand basketball. I am not too familiar with Bill Simmons.. but basketball is not very complicated. Anyone who studies it for an extended period of time will be able to understand it. Stan Van Gundy can be a fat diabetic slob and still know that a player needs better conditioning to improve his game. Wether the player chooses to listen is on him.

I find it amusing how u guys saying u cant be a good coach without having played... when none of you have coached or played in the NBA. How would you know what it takes to be a good coach? Or even what a good coach is?

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

You don't need to play a single second of the game in the NBA or college, or shit even high school to be able to evaluate it.

Simmons grew up watching the game, he is very close to it, and he writes like a fan. Granted a very involved, almost OCD "Monk" like fan, but still a fan.

The other thing that Simmons and his cronies, have, that a player or coach might not, is the sabermetric stuff. A GM would have this and I'm certain some coaches do as well but I'm not sure how many of these players are into like these guys.

On that note a GM as an analyst would seem to be the best, save for a general lack of big names in that field.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    Truly silly logic.

At the end of it all the NBA is still basketball. If you understand the game then who cares how you've come to understand it.
    I think you are the Silly one.

These players and Coaches put their life for the game as for the Fans its just a hobby.

If it was that simple game of Basketball why are you here and Not coaching?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
    You guys are naive as hell. You dont need a second of basketball playing time in order to understand basketball. I am not too familiar with Bill Simmons.. but basketball is not very complicated. Anyone who studies it for an extended period of time will be able to understand it. Stan Van Gundy can be a fat diabetic slob and still know that a player needs better conditioning to improve his game. Wether the player chooses to listen is on him.

[COLOR="Red"]I find it amusing how u guys saying u cant be a good coach without having played... when none of you have coached or played in the NBA. How would you know what it takes to be a good coach? Or even what a good coach is?[/COLOR]
    How are you going to say that and say Basketball is not Complicated.

Trust me Kid Basketball is Complicated then you think in the Higher level.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZaaaaaH

These players and Coaches put their life for the game as for the Fans its just a hobby.

So then it becomes even MORE important to have fan based experts in the sport. Otherwise it just becomes people talking about shop, and talking in a way that we can't relate to. A fan writing about a fan's experience is the best option for us no?

And it really is a simple game. I'm not sure why we'd argue this, this is part of it's beauty. Sure it gets more complex, but it's based in simplicity.

Bill Simmons doesn't know what he is talking about x and o wise. If you sit him down and go through tape with him he would be lost. He does know the history of tube well. But he cannot analyze what is happeningi the game at any given time. You don't have to learn the game through playing. But you do have to learn the game. Most people just don't understand what is happening on the court and why.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
    So then it becomes even MORE important to have fan based experts in the sport. Otherwise it just becomes people talking about shop, and talking in a way that we can't relate to. A fan writing about a fan's experience is the best option for us no?

And it really is a simple game. I'm not sure why we'd argue this, this is part of it's beauty. Sure it gets more complex, but it's based in simplicity.

Yes its a simple game to people who have played the game but for someone who thinks they can just WATCH and understand the game

For example I watch Football every season but only played on a High school level as for Basketball I have played on a higher level and Trust me there is so much more to learn then you kids think.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Yes its a simple game to people who have played the game but for someone who thinks they can just WATCH and understand the game

For example I watch Football every season but only played on a High school level as for Basketball I have played on a higher level and Trust me there is so much more to learn then you kids think.
    Trust me kid, you have much more to learn about grammar which in turn makes it hard to take you seriously when talking about how knowledgeable you are about basketball.

How are you going to say that and say Basketball is not Complicated.

Trust me Kid Basketball is Complicated then you think in the Higher level.
    Coaching basketball (ie. managing people) is extremely complicated. Playing basketball is not.

Theres a lot to learn and there are many different concepts, but none of them are complicated...

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Bill Simmons doesn't know what he is talking about x and o wise. If you sit him down and go through tape with him he would be lost. He does know the history of tube well. But he cannot analyze what is happeningi the game at any given time. You don't have to learn the game through playing. But you do have to learn the game. Most people just don't understand what is happening on the court and why.
    Great post.

I find it amusing how u guys saying u cant be a good coach without having played... when none of you have coached or played in the NBA. How would you know what it takes to be a good coach? Or even what a good coach is?

He does coach.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Not saying you're wrong or right, but you just contradicted yourself. You said that you don't need to play in order to understand the game, then you asked how any of us can know how to coach without actually coaching or playing

If you can't be an expert in basketball without playing it, then you probably can't be a coach in the NBA or even know what it takes to be a coach without playing either

so what exactly did simmons say/do to make irving tweet this?

seems weird for irving to just throw this out unprovoked.

How much experience do you need to be an expert? Michael Jordan was the best but he can't coach and he certainly can't pick out star talent.

I play the game and watch it. I don't need to be an NBA player to see if someone is a bum.