Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 02-06-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
WhiteMosɘs
Free Myanmar

WhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation here
Default Would Anyone Buy These?

Quote:
Dubbed the FPS Freek, the new add-ons apply a similar concept of extending a standard control pad's analog sticks, though unlike the driving oriented speedfreek's "U" shaped sides, the FPS Freek goes vertical rather than horizontal...

The prototype add-ons snap onto the standard 360 controller analog sticks, making them roughly half an inch taller. Because they still ride on the 360 controller's wide analog stalks however, depressing the sticks for R3 and L3 is easy and accurate...

PC gamers have long maintained the superiority of the keyboard and mouse control scheme for FPS titles, citing the inaccuracy of analog sticks for precision aiming. Such inaccuracy, we believe, is in large part a consequence of analog sticks' variable resistance. The majority of the effort involved in moving an analog stick though it's range of motion (from neutral to 100% input in a certain direction) is primarily invested in shifting the stick though the first 20% or so of its range. The springs that keep a stick standing straight and neutral also make moving the stick in small, precise motions difficult, as after applying the strength to overcome the initial resistance it's hard to not push the stick all the way though 60% or more of its throw. As such, tiny aiming adjustments are tricky, and constantly counterbalancing over-inputs degrades accuracy, especially compared to a mouse with uniform resistance to movement...

The FPS Freeks do a lot to resolve this issue, essentially lengthening the analog sticks to provide a longer lever-arm so as to make overcoming the resistance of the springs in the analog stick easier. With more leverage under one's thumb, the initial resistance in the first 20% of the analog stick's throw is greatly reduced, making the motion of the analog stick much more uniform...

After a few rounds in CoD4 adapting to this new feel, we realized we rather enjoyed it. The biggest benefit, in our hands, was the ability to make very small aiming adjustments without overshooting the motion. Instead of spraying bullets at people back and forth, the precision of the longer analog sticks made it much easier to draw a bead on running players and input just enough on the analog sticks to keep it on them without leading increasingly too far ahead. Fighting barrel-rise in light machine guns was also easier, as we could maintain a constant down force on the stick at roughly 40% of its throw, just enough to stay on target without overshooting and aiming at the ground...

It's taken from an IGN.com article by Gerry Block. What do you guys think?
WhiteMosɘs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:30 AM   #2
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

WoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputationWoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputation
Default Re: Would Anyone Buy These?

Give me a mouse and keyboard thanks.

Really, someone should develop a mouse and keyboard setup for the 360 and PS3, they get some really good FPS and general action games that are just not as much fun playing with a controller(I'm thinking Halo, GTA, Gears of War and co). Controllers are great for sports games, great for button mashers, great for platformers, but for strategy and FPS, they just plain arent.

If they work, they might be worth buying though, not over a mouse, but certainly an advantage if you are an avid gamer. They do look pretty bloody stupid though.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:36 AM   #3
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoGiTaLiA1
Give me a mouse and keyboard thanks.

Really, someone should develop a mouse and keyboard setup for the 360 and PS3, they get some really good FPS and general action games that are just not as much fun playing with a controller(I'm thinking Halo, GTA, Gears of War and co). Controllers are great for sports games, great for button mashers, great for platformers, but for strategy and FPS, they just plain arent.

If they work, they might be worth buying though, not over a mouse, but certainly an advantage if you are an avid gamer. They do look pretty bloody stupid though.
They have USB ports, so can't you use a mouse and keyboard anyway?
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

Quote:
They have USB ports, so can't you use a mouse and keyboard anyway?

Dunno, never known anyone to try, would basically be an issue of whether they support and recognize them as much as anything I guess. It is something you have to program into the games to accept commands from the USB connection.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried it and whether it worked.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #5
Jayrome05
Skadoosh

Jayrome05 has an OK reputation so far

yeah you can use keyboard and mouse for the PS3. I use it Unreal Tournament 3.. Its way funner than using the controller.
Jayrome05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
arkain
Local High School Star

arkain has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrome05
yeah you can use keyboard and mouse for the PS3. I use it Unreal Tournament 3.. Its way funner than using the controller.

Yup same, its so much easier to pwn people with a mouse and keyboard than with the controller but then again maybe its just me cause I've been a PC gamer all my life, PS3 is my first console.
arkain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
rapsfan3
Decent playground baller

rapsfan3 has an OK reputation so far

PS3 is better I long ago sold my 360 for 100 dollars straight up
rapsfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:11 AM   #8
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

Anyone know if you can use the keyboard and mouse on the 360? Would actually be really interesting to know, because if you can't, that would be reason enough to buy a PS3 over a 360. I mean they get some really good FPS but with the controls you are just flat out better off waiting for them to hit the PC to play because it's just so much better a control system.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: