Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Chandler and Okafur officially traded.

Put the money issue aside, this a steal for the hornets. they get a borderline allstar for an overrated injury prone role player. emekas numbers will be 19-10 with paul

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Honestly, I think this makes a lot more sense for the Bobcats than the Hornets. Neither is winning a title next year and neither player nets more than a handful of wins/losses next year. So you save money in a time of turmoil for the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    I was talking about the cats. The post I responded to said there was no reason to trade from the cats' perspective. I posted that the reason was to save money over the long run.
    I'm sorry, I misread. Please excuse me and my multi-tasking idiocy.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Honestly, I think this makes a lot more sense for the Bobcats than the Hornets. Neither is winning a title next year and neither player nets more than a handful of wins/losses next year. So you save money in a time of turmoil for the league.
    Save money for what re-signing felton . it's not like free agents are waiting in droves to go to the bobcats. that hada ok foundation and were a borderline playoffs team.

good for the hornets.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ronnymac
    Save money for what re-signing felton . it's not like free agents are waiting in droves to go to the bobcats. that hada ok foundation and were a borderline playoffs team.
    For saving money, period. Why lock up long term cash to hold a team together that's going nowhere near contention? Fans don't want an OK team that's borderline 8 seed, they want contention. This is why we're seeing so many of the mediocre teams hold down the fort until their existing contracts expire (or they can move them for lesser deals like this). Players don't give a damn about where they play, they give a damn about who can pay them. Charlotte made themselves somewhat of a player in 2 years, much moreso than they'd have been before.

I don't see the logic in keeping Okafor for an additional 2 years compared to Chandler and having nothing but basically the MLE to lure players that can help you reach the next level. As you said, it's Charlotte, players aren't going to take a paycut to play there, they're going to play there because they can get paid.

Local High School Star lukekarts's Avatar

They're turning into the biggest joke of the NBA.

At least the Grizzlies try to get talent in return.

I wouldn't even have minded if we (Miami) sent Beasley in return, but Chandler?

For saving money, period. Why lock up long term cash to hold a team together that's going nowhere near contention? Fans don't want an OK team that's borderline 8 seed, they want contention. This is why we're seeing so many of the mediocre teams hold down the fort until their existing contracts expire (or they can move them for lesser deals like this). Players don't give a damn about where they play, they give a damn about who can pay them. Charlotte made themselves somewhat of a player in 2 years, much moreso than they'd have been before.

I don't see the logic in keeping Okafor for an additional 2 years compared to Chandler and having nothing but basically the MLE to lure players that can help you reach the next level. As you said, it's Charlotte, players aren't going to take a paycut to play there, they're going to play there because they can get paid.
    I like what you're saying. You're making excellent points. But I think you're missing something.

Charlotte Bobcat fans just want to see their team in the playoffs. They've been a lottery team since Day 1. Anyone who's rooted for that since the beginning doesn't care if they'll be good in two years. They were a borderline playoff team last season and they don't want to lose that thrill.

Yeah.

NBA lottery pick

Fair enough.

And here I thought NO was trying to save money.

I'm guessing there's more players or picks involved then just a straight up swap. Much too retarded for Charlotte.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Glo41
    And here I thought NO was trying to save money.
    They're also trying to keep the team alive. Saving money by keeping your total salaries low won't help you if your whole business model is getting slaughtered because you don't have any fans.

Hornets aren't like most other small-market teams in the league now who are simply trying to weather out the recession and come out without too much long-term financial damage. As a Jazz fan, I know that a couple of years of below .500 teams will not seriously affect the team's future in SLC. The Hornets don't have that luxury.

I know it's seems oddly paradoxical that a team in financial trouble is taking on a bigger contract here, but the Hornets simply must convince the fans in their area to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertime
    They're also trying to keep the team alive. Saving money by keeping your total salaries low won't help you if your whole business model is getting slaughtered because you don't have any fans.

Hornets aren't like most other small-market teams in the league now who are simply trying to weather out the recession and come out without too much long-term financial damage. As a Jazz fan, I know that a couple of years of below .500 teams will not seriously affect the team's future in SLC. The Hornets don't have that luxury.

I know it's seems oddly paradoxical that a team in financial trouble is taking on a bigger contract here, but the Hornets simply must convince the fans in their area to come out.
    Truth.

Charlotte is going to regret doing this. Okafor will have a breakout season in NOLA.

You can't tell me this trade wasn't made because Okafor wanted out. Okafor is a really good player, and the Hornets are getting a steal. Such a steal for New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    You can't tell me this trade wasn't made because Okafor wanted out. Okafor is a really good player, and the Hornets are getting a steal. Such a steal for New Orleans.
    If Emeka wanted out, then he shouldn't have just signed his big contract not too long ago. What he wanted was a max deal, but he wasn't going to get it, and instead of leaving, he signed with the cats. I doubt he forced their hand at all. The team is being shopped, and this deal helps cut down the salary by ridding the team of his long term deal.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Wallace shopped as well.