Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-15-2013, 02:20 AM   #16
Round Mound
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain Rare Highlights Compilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
Fans not only tend to diminish his numbers, mostly because they simply can't comprehend them, but he was just destroying his peers in the process. I find it laughable that anyone would ever think that Russell was outplaying him. Their head-to-head stats, in every conceivable category weighed heavily in Chamberlain's favor.

Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:41 AM   #17
Pointguard
5-time NBA All-Star

Welcome LAZERUSS!

A lot, close to one third of their matchups, Wilt seemingly dominated Russell if you look at the stats. And they were cruel domination stats. Message domination stats, that can't be relegated to reinterpretation. Like since I know rebounding is your strong suite so I'm going to out rebound you 3 to 1 or get 55 on you and break the record. Or we play 140 games and you might out rebound me in seven. Or I'm going hold to you 25% shooting for every-time you do. So it wasn't a case of equals because there are too many huge discrepancies. And he consistently pulled rank on him in rebounds which is not something equals do. And it wasn't like Russell guarded Wilt one on one either, especially in the playoffs. I'm sure Russell had better games than Wilt but they are too few to say it meant much at all.

Stats are a reflection of play and shouldn't be lopsided 25% of the time if they are equals. And it shouldn't be hardly ever in favor of one player in 140 contest. Mutombo outplayed Shaq statistically sometimes. While I can give Russell some Jason Kidd type of stats (much lower than his effect), his visual play doesn't lend itself to that in some hardcore way.
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:32 AM   #18
senelcoolidge
NBA rookie of the year

Don't forget the media did not like Chamberlain. They tried to diminish him, in fact to this day they still do. Russell the winner the better guy. Chamberlain can't win he's a loser..etc.
Wilt was a one of a kind player. Size, athletic ability: strength, speed, coordination, skill set was incredible. Could score at will and was a great defensive player. Best rebounder ever, great passer for a center..on and on and on. Only weakness was free throw shooting. Guy was just incredible.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:09 AM   #19
Soundwave
NBA lottery pick

He reminds me a lot of David Robinson. Not saying one is better/worse, just in terms of style of play.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #20
elementally morale
NBA rookie of the year

Him being THIS good back THEN... mind-boggling. With today's training... I dunno. It would be really remarkable. Like a non-lazy Shaq.
elementally morale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:50 AM   #21
jcsrplumply
Local High School Star

He played 48 minutes a game!?!?
jcsrplumply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #22
Screamingdoom
Stern's lap dog

That video was amazing. Thanks
Screamingdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #23
jcsrplumply
Local High School Star

18:25 - so amazing.. Great timing by him.
jcsrplumply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #24
Rolando
Local High School Star

Most athletic 7 footer ever.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #25
madmax
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsatyr
He looks so big next to those white guys.

those 6'6 slow white guys ain't had a thing on him...
madmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #26
LastEpisode
Not airballing my layups anymore

How was his stats during big games? You know, playoffs and games that matter..
LastEpisode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #27
f0und
Local High School Star

thanks for the vid OP. i was wondering if we were ever going to get a proper highlight video of wilt. up until now, all i ever got to see of him were the same handful of highlights played over and over. but this was nice to see. really gave me a better idea of his capabilities.

of all the great things in the video, the thing that made me go "holy *hit!!!" was his speed in the open court. its *ucking insane. when he decides to kick it in gear, its like the video operator hit the fast forward button but it only affects wilt. his legs start churning and just blows by everyone as if they stepped in a bunch of gum.
f0und is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #28
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

In 62 Wilt played just under 18000 possessions. Counting the playoffs he played like 4300 minutes. Dwight Howard this year? Tad over 13000 possessions. And 2671 minutes.

Wilt just did not tire. Ever. Dude played 48.5 minutes....at the highest pace in history. Running back and forth back and forth getting the most rebounds ever...taking the most shots...likely blocking the most shots.

He played 47 minutes a game...in the playoffs...for his CAREER. He played 49 minutes a game one playoff run. From age 31 to 36 he played 49, 46, 47, 46, 47, and 47 minutes a game in the playoffs and 4 of them were finals runs.

At 270-315 in his Laker days. At over 300 pounds...at this size:

He played 47 minutes a game.

Drinking water...not gatorade. Without a team doctor on the road. In chuck taylors. After a repaired knee.

And guys these days....guys not nearly his size being pampered all day for years...get gassed after 10 minutes and ask out.

What the ****?
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #29
LAClipsFan33
Lob City Clips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
In 62 Wilt played just under 18000 possessions. Counting the playoffs he played like 4300 minutes. Dwight Howard this year? Tad over 13000 possessions. And 2671 minutes.

Wilt just did not tire. Ever. Dude played 48.5 minutes....at the highest pace in history. Running back and forth back and forth getting the most rebounds ever...taking the most shots...likely blocking the most shots.

He played 47 minutes a game...in the playoffs...for his CAREER. He played 49 minutes a game one playoff run. From age 31 to 36 he played 49, 46, 47, 46, 47, and 47 minutes a game in the playoffs and 4 of them were finals runs.

At 270-315 in his Laker days. At over 300 pounds...at this size:

He played 47 minutes a game.

Drinking water...not gatorade. Without a team doctor on the road. In chuck taylors. After a repaired knee.

And guys these days....guys not nearly his size being pampered all day for years...get gassed after 10 minutes and ask out.

What the ****?

It's simply unfathomable with the way players are pampered today
LAClipsFan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #30
TheTenth
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointguard
Welcome LAZERUSS!

A lot, close to one third of their matchups, Wilt seemingly dominated Russell if you look at the stats. And they were cruel domination stats. Message domination stats, that can't be relegated to reinterpretation. Like since I know rebounding is your strong suite so I'm going to out rebound you 3 to 1 or get 55 on you and break the record. Or we play 140 games and you might out rebound me in seven. Or I'm going hold to you 25% shooting for every-time you do. So it wasn't a case of equals because there are too many huge discrepancies. And he consistently pulled rank on him in rebounds which is not something equals do. And it wasn't like Russell guarded Wilt one on one either, especially in the playoffs. I'm sure Russell had better games than Wilt but they are too few to say it meant much at all.

Stats are a reflection of play and shouldn't be lopsided 25% of the time if they are equals. And it shouldn't be hardly ever in favor of one player in 140 contest. Mutombo outplayed Shaq statistically sometimes. While I can give Russell some Jason Kidd type of stats (much lower than his effect), his visual play doesn't lend itself to that in some hardcore way.
Very good points there.
TheTenth is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: