Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #16
thabisyo
Local High School Star

Default Re: What players do you suspect wont be remembered as they really were?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCdac
Dwight Howard --- will probably be remembered as better than he actually is due to his athleticism and dunks

Tim Duncan --- people will forget how great of a scorer he was (total package, who could give you 30-40+ point games)

Manu Ginobili --- people will forget he's started 400+ games, has heard MVP chants before, and carried SA at times before Parker came into his own

Gilbert Arenas --- better than current Harden yet will never be remembered that way because of the ending to his career and malcontent attitude

Dirk Nowitzki --- will be remembered as a HOF'er and "winner" through out his entire career yet was soft/beatable for alot of it and has a PO win percentage lower than KG's.

I cant imagine why people will forget Tim duncan. yes, he may not be overated in the future but the guy took down a prime lakers in 03. Detroit pistons of 04, are likely to be lost in history

Bruce Bowen --- will be remembered as "dirty" largely due to a few JPEG's but was one of the best perimeter defenders who started 500 straight games without suspension and was in actuality pretty harmless
thabisyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #17
jstern
NBA lottery pick

Really all of them, especially white skinned players like Gasol and Dirk. I remember during the voting by fans for the player of the decade, so many teens were putting Shaq in the level of an averag center. It was shocking the way they were talking about him since to them young SHAQ = the older Shaq that they were used to.
jstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #18
Bibby4Three
Rondo Roger That

Mike Bibby.
Bibby4Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #19
steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgodfather1
Another player history will not remember favourbly will be Durant, if he doesn't win. They'll just see a great scorer, and nothing more. Pretty much like Elgin Baylor, without the rebounding.

Actually, I'd say his rebounding is somewhat comparable to Baylor's given their eras. I'm not sure I agree with you about Durant not being seen as a "winner." It's sort of like how a lot of people view players like Malone, Barkley, and Ewing, whose credentials in terms of winning aren't diminished because they "faced" Jordan. In fact playing against Jordan has increased their value in terms of they're perceived all-time.

I think Durant might end up having that playing against Lebron, especially if things follow their current trajectory. Obviously that could change (even as early as this season), but it's not likely. Of course a lot of that depends on how people end up viewing Lebron historically. Although I do think you're right about how Durant is going to be viewed, sort of in the same way we were just talking about Dirk. People will look at his body type and just assume that he'd be pushed around by whatever the current crop of players and he only got by because he got the benefit of the whistle (that's already kind of happening now). Granted, Durant still has a long way to go before his career is clearly defined.

I'm trying to think of other players and I think this mainly falls under the category for superstars because you'll have a solid/excellent player who people just won't talk about. I like David West a lot and he's been a borderline All-Star caliber player for most of his career, but realistically no one's going to be talking about him much after he retires. I agree that a lot of people won't appreciate how dominant Duncan was in his prime and how great he was at just dropping the hammer on teams in big games. Chris Paul's another one who comes to mind, since his base numbers after '08 and '09 aren't particularly high and people won't quite appreciate a lot of the subtleties of his game.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #20
jzek
#Treble

if durant doesn't win a title he'll be remembered somewhat as the black pistol pete. great scorer but nothing else to show for it.
jzek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #21
steve

What usually happens is that people overlook a lot of the nuances of players games and don't really make the effort to understand what they were (this is why you see so many comparisons that fall apart pretty dramatically on any sort of inspection). The further removed a player becomes, the more their game is treated in broad strokes and a lot of what makes them unique is lost unless that uniqueness is impossible to ignore (and then it has to be something of a statistical outlier, like Wilt averaging close to 9 assists a game or something like that, but even then that doesn't completely do him justice).

To use Blaze's example of Dirk: he'll be remembered as a good scorer (that's hard to ignore) and a good shooter (same). It'll also be noticed that he wasn't a particularly strong rebounder (when he's traditionally been an uninvolved offensive rebounder and a fairly good defensive rebounder) and people will just assume that he did most his scoring around the fringes of the perimeter and people will forget just good and unorthodox of a post player he is. It'll be easy to overlook just how easy it was for him to get that turnaround, one step fadeaway, and just how automatic it was at one point. Most likely people will look at him as being just a really good stretch 4 (if they're even still using that term in the unspecified time period we're talking about here). A lot of Dirk's game could be potentially just lost or overlooked, and this seems to be the case with a lot of unorthodox players. If the player doesn't necessarily fit the bill for what he was at given position, his profile as a basketball player will just get rounded off if you will.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #22
WayOfWade

With Wade being put down as much as he is now, I'll be interested to see how/if it will effect his legacy.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #23
ThaRegul8r
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripthekik
Pretty much everyone.

This.

I've found it interesting how what people say about players years after the fact often diverges from what was actually true. I can't count the number of times I've replied and said things people didn't know, despite some of them being common knowledge during the time it actually happened. It's not difficult to determine who has actual memories of players versus those who went on basketball-reference one day and came to an opinion based on the stats he saw. So I agree that pretty much everyone of note is going to be "remembered" differently a decade from now as a new generation of people discover players and look at the stats.
ThaRegul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #24
hon hon hon eat snails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibby4Three
Mike Bibby.

One player that came to my mind too.

During the 2002-2006 years with the Kings he probably should've been All Star at least once.

But his last years he was a benchwarmer or scrub.
9512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #25
IncarceratedBob
n/a

People are already forgetting that Kobe was a GOAT level defender and one of the few players in history that could take over a game defensively, he's merely being though of as a great scorer which of course he was but in his prime was one of the greatest two way players and no one has been at his level since then in that regard.
IncarceratedBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #26
chips93
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCdac
Dwight Howard --- will probably be remembered as better than he actually is due to his athleticism and dunks

i was gonna say the opposite of this

say howard never gets back to his pre-back-surgery form, i could see ppl seeing him as just that clown who never took the game serious enough, and not the game changing player he was.
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #27
chips93
Very good NBA starter

i guess guys like al horford, marc gasol, iggy, ak47, guys who bring value because of versatility, passing, defense, but were never on championship teams, are likely to be underrated in the future.

steve nash too, especially if people look at it from a 'hes not athletic enough' point of view.
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #28
Svendiggity
Dunking on everybody in the park

Jason Kidd knew what shots he could and couldn't make, knew when to shoot and when to pump fake. He was an intelligent shooter so I won't be bothered if young players look up to him in the future, at least they won't be chucking 10 three's a game off the dribble.

But this is the beauty of the game, only the players that invest loads of time studying will really see how old school players did things. Tall talented guys that get by on talent will never fully understand the nuances of the game.
Svendiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #29
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

kevin durant. unless something drastically changes in his career trajectory he will be relegated to gifted scorer category in his career evaluation like a dantley, willis reed, alex english or bernard king. almost completely forgotten
STATUTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #30
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
I agree. People on places like this will always talk about FGAs and all. Most people wont even know what Kobe shot. Just what he won....right or wrong.
The problem with how Kobe will be remembered is the extreme polarization. You'll have idiots who'll swear he was on of the 2 or 3 best players of all time and you'll have other idiots who'll swear he was a complete scrub who just hit the lottery of lucky circumstances.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: