Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #31
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor

Default Re: What players do you suspect wont be remembered as they really were?

GIlbert Arenas comes in mind.
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #32
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
This.

I've found it interesting how what people say about players years after the fact often diverges from what was actually true. I can't count the number of times I've replied and said things people didn't know, despite some of them being common knowledge during the time it actually happened. It's not difficult to determine who has actual memories of players versus those who went on basketball-reference one day and came to an opinion based on the stats he saw. So I agree that pretty much everyone of note is going to be "remembered" differently a decade from now as a new generation of people discover players and look at the stats.

I think there are many players who are what they appear to be. Shaq highlights and numbers show you roughly who he was. Same for Kobe really. Ben Wallace. Jermaine Oneal. Mutombo. Chris Bosh.

I wouldnt say any of them have any obvious aspects of their game I expect to be totally gotten wrong by people who missed their primes.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #33
CavaliersFTW
NBA Legend

Tim Duncan - he isn't athletic or flashy at all ergo even with lots of game film available with which to make highlights the vast majority of casual fans who have a very loose handle on the game will not be captivated by his footage or understand all the little things he does on the floor and this majority will not accept that he could even so much as play in their 'modern era' of super athletic bigs let alone dominate like he did.

I currently experience the same trouble working with footage of Oscar Robertson. It's tough to display how good a player he was and attempt to captivate people when most of his plays are simply "smart" and "fundamental" - not athletic and definitely not flashy. Tim Duncan is the PF equivilent of Oscar Robertson. Tim Duncan is just gonna be looked at as a simpleton in the future - using "primitive offensive/defensive schemes" since his movements don't display a lot of moving parts. Even the way he runs down the floor is stiff-legged - trust me the perception of him won't be great when young first-time-fans see footage of him 25 years from now. Telling them he's the greatest power forward of all time will be even worse, because they will assume all his competition was even more stiff-legged and simple than he was.

Last edited by CavaliersFTW : 04-23-2013 at 05:08 PM.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #34
stevieming
I rule the local playground

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUTORY
kevin durant. unless something drastically changes in his career trajectory he will be relegated to gifted scorer category in his career evaluation like a dantley, willis reed, alex english or bernard king. almost completely forgotten

I think KD is on too good of a team to not win a chip, assuming Ibaka stays and even if westbrook leaves as long as they someone else who's roughly the same level even a bit below they'll be contenders for the next 4-5 years.
stevieming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #35
G-train
5-time NBA All-Star

David Robinson is already remembered incorrectly by many, and mostly due to being outplayed by a guy playing as good as anyone ever in one playoff series.
If David Robinson played today the hype would be enormous.
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #36
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Paul Pierce

I think people will (and do) forget that Pierce used to be a a great (maybe not great but definitely very good) athlete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSvcN0XLJ6M

^1:25 he posterizes Alonzo, a couple other poster (especially 2:40), blocking shots, blowing by people, acrobatic layups, etc.

He will be remember as the chubby-looking, crafty SF.

Last edited by Jailblazers7 : 04-23-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #37
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Vince Carter might just be remembered as an 'all-he-did-was-dunk-and-nothing-else' player when in reality he was one of the best offensive players of his time.

Ray Allen might be remembered as merely a spot-up shooter, but those of us who saw him play in his Seattle days will recall he could do it all as far as scoring went.

Dirk Nowitzki for sure will be relegated to the same nonsense Larry Bird is subjected to, e.g. "He wouldn't be able to score in today's game." People will assume that the generation Dirk played in must've been weak defensively because Dirk managed to average 20+ for 12 of his (so far) 15 seasons.

I think Kobe will be remembered as an elite defender because of his All-Defensive Team selections when most of the time he was just given those for merely being a big name superstar. I'm not saying Kobe was a terrible defender in his heyday, but there were a few seasons where players like Tony Allen or Dwyane Wade were robbed of First Team selections just because Kobe had the star status.

I also KNOW that just like Kobe haters today, many future NBA fans might think Kobe was carried to his first 3 championships, all while ignoring the fact that even Shaquille O'Neal acknowledged that Kobe was a huge part of the 3-peat. It's more likely that the Lakers wouldn't have won 3 in a row without Kobe.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #38
outbreak
Banned

Will joe johnson be remembered more for his contract rather then his game ability? If Griffin's career ended today I could see him being over rated based on the highlights but I assume he should continue to improve. As the league keeps getting quicker and quicker I can see future generations thinking Paul Pierce wouldn't last in their eras
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #39
BlackVVaves
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzek
if durant doesn't win a title he'll be remembered somewhat as the black pistol pete. great scorer but nothing else to show for it.

If you really know of Pistol Pete's career (to which this post indicates to me you do not), please tell me how KD and Pistol Pete relate other than scorers without hardware (yet).

Pistol Pete was quite possibly the worst teammate of all time. KD's too good of a teammate sometimes.

Great thread Kblaze. What was that misinformed kid's response to your post on Zeke?
BlackVVaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #40
DatAsh
National High School Star

It's hard to add to some of the great examples that have been added already, but maybe Dwyane Wade? - not so much for a stylistic change as a role change, and subsequent drop in statistical production.
DatAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #41
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
Tim Duncan - he isn't athletic or flashy at all

Pretty much every player who relies on skill over athleticism will suffer the 'can't do this now' nonsense from idiots in the future. Add Dirk and Nash to the list of guys who wouldn't be able to score 5 PPG against the bigger, stronger, faster players of the near future and their 'advanced defense'. Larry Bird feels your pain
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #42
nightprowler10
Hold the door

I think players who modified their game based on what their bodies could handle will be the ones that suffer the most in this regard.
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #43
lpublic_enemyl
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teanett
Chris Bosh
ppl already forget he was a 23 and 10 player
lpublic_enemyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #44
annbafan
I usually hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpublic_enemyl
ppl already forget he was a 23 and 10 player

He actually even had 24/11 on 52% in his last year with the Raptors, and i think he might have had better seasons if he had stayed in Toronto. Very underrated player, particularly his offensive game.

Last edited by annbafan : 04-24-2013 at 09:09 AM.
annbafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #45
Horatio33
Winning>Stats

Tim Duncan, he couldn't fly through the air, 360, flat jumpshot, not very fast.

Forgetting his IQ, teamwork, leadership, intangables. Like a modern Bill Russell.
Horatio33 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: