Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-02-2007, 12:54 PM   #31
jasonterry
Banned

Default Re: Dirk Nowitzki is mentally tough, and clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementally morale
Oh come on now. He played well for 3 minutes, and in fact he got lucky that:

a) both his 3 pointers went in
b) GS totally collapsed
c) the lead was only 9 and not 12

He easily could have lost the game yesterday. Yes, he played fantastic in those last 3 minutes. Props. Good job. But he wasn't good before that. 3 minutes alone don't make me forget the other 237. Two big shots are not enough. See game 4. He had 2 great shots, still lost.

Let him have two 35/15 games and 2 more wins. Then talk about him having saved face.

Yes, I am a Laker fan. No, I don't hate Dirk at all. In fact I have high standards for him, because I respect him. Thus far, he was sub-par. Regardless of his two big shots yesterday.

did you miss the first half or something? he had 14 pts and was breaking double teams by finally going to the hole. people here have such selective memory it's ridiculous. Not to mention he played excellent defense all game
jasonterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:56 PM   #32
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

I would say if he didn't play that last 2 minutes like he did, his career would be over.

that reputation of disappearing would follow him for life, and he would be clowned with it no matter where he goes. I bet even Dallas fans would turn on him.

so yeah, good job Dirk, luckily you played the way you did.
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:02 PM   #33
elementally morale
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonterry
did you miss the first half or something? he had 14 pts and was breaking double teams by finally going to the hole. people here have such selective memory it's ridiculous. Not to mention he played excellent defense all game

I saw the first half. Dallas was good. Dirk was ordinary. Not bad. But that's the way he sould have played all series long. He had one (1) good game. basically he had an OK first half and 3 great minutes. Sure, it will do for one game. I'm not hating on it. But his contribution to the game as a whole was not taht special, apart from those last 3 minutes. But I'll give him this game.

Now show me some more. 2 more wins. At the very least. Then talk about him being great. Not now.
elementally morale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:10 PM   #34
elementally morale
NBA lottery pick

BTW, if I had to name one player having won the game for you yesterday, I'd say Devin Harris. Without him in the 4th it would've got ugly.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:14 PM   #35
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
BTW, if I had to name one player having won the game for you yesterday, I'd say Devin Harris. Without him in the 4th it would've got ugly.
thats true. Dirks 8pts downt he strech woulda just cut the lead
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:16 PM   #36
NBAFan
Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote:

I thought I was the only one, indeed, Harris did great in 4th. Mavs' fans hate him with passion.
NBAFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:22 PM   #37
jasonterry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBAFan
I thought I was the only one, indeed, Harris did great in 4th. Mavs' fans hate him with passion.

mavs fan don't hate him. it's just that like everyone else on the team besides dirk, he's incredibly inconsistent.. and he's been in foul trouble all series because the refs are bailing out baron davis and buying all his flops.
jasonterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:23 PM   #38
STelfair31
National High School Star

only in a perfect world will the title be tru.. dirk is a p.u.s.s.y.
STelfair31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #39
Brunch@Five
College superstar

The hate Dirk is receiving is approaching Kobe level. And that includes you, elementally. Dirk had 30/12 that game, decided the game by scoring 12 points in the last 3 minutes and having a crucial block.
What do you guys expect? 40/20? He isn't Shaq, we know that.
This is as bad as Knoe et al hating on Kobe last game when he had 31/9/7. It's stupid. The fact that both are able to put up those numbers with constant double teams is astounding. No other player but Bron receives the same attention on defense. Not Duncan, not Nash.
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:30 PM   #40
elementally morale
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
thats true. Dirks 8pts downt he strech woulda just cut the lead

Harris scored on 4 consecutive possessions to start the 4th, and he had a crucial basket after the two 3-pointers coming from Dirk. Dallas needed those points as much as the threes. Not to speak of them needing a total meltdown coming from GS. Elimination game, 3 minutes to go and being down 9 at home... they got lucky with this win.

Did they deserve their luck? Yes, I think they did. They fought hard. Once in a while you deserve to be fortunate. But let's not act as if Dirk's phenomenal performance yesterday never left any doubts about the outcome. He had 2 huge shots. Got lucky, could have easily missed one of those. Good for him he didn't. Good for dallas he didn't.

Even before the game I had Dallas winning it in 7. I'm not shocked they won the game. I'm pretty much shocked about the way they did. And how anyone tries to spin it and say Dirk won it. Sorry to burst your bubble, but no.

Dirk almost lost it for Dallas. Him coming up big in the last 3 minutes was a reward for Harris, Diop, Howard and Stackhouse - who won the game. Dirk didn't lose it for them. That's great. But thinking of him as I do, I have higher expectations.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:38 PM   #41
elementally morale
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
The hate Dirk is receiving is approaching Kobe level. And that includes you, elementally. Dirk had 30/12 that game, decided the game by scoring 12 points in the last 3 minutes and having a crucial block.
What do you guys expect? 40/20? He isn't Shaq, we know that.
This is as bad as Knoe et al hating on Kobe last game when he had 31/9/7. It's stupid. The fact that both are able to put up those numbers with constant double teams is astounding. No other player but Bron receives the same attention on defense. Not Duncan, not Nash.

I don't hate him the least. Read threads from yesterday. I was the one defending him. I was the one defending his mentality and toughness. Not you. Not a Mavs fan. Me. Shall I search the threads for you?

There is no player I express hate on. Very few I actually dislike. Very few. Dirk is not one of them.

You ask what I expect. I'll tell you. Not disappearing. Wanting the friggin' ball. Be a true leader. That's what I want. He has a good team. A decent coach. 67 wins. Great skills. I expect him to use them. 30/12 is good. I said already. I give him this game. He disappeared but made up for it - if with some luck. What do I expect from him? The same 30-35 points. Hustle. Big shots throughout the game. Penetrating. Killing the midgets.

Double teams? Sure. We are talking about the MVP here. Not Luke Walton. Of course he is going to get doubled. He is the MVP for a reason, isn't he?
Old 05-02-2007, 01:45 PM   #42
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Quote:
Double teams? Sure. We are talking about the MVP here. Not Luke Walton. Of course he is going to get doubled. He is the MVP for a reason, isn't he?

sure. But Kobe and Dirk are for some reason held to the same standards as every other superstar, be it Nash, Duncan, Wade or even Davis. But those two and Bron are the only ones that have to face constant double teams. So it's not fair to judge them by the same standards as the others. It's not like Duncan never disappears for stretches. It's just that his teammates are a tad better.
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #43
hotsizzle
Superstar

Congrats to Dirk last night, he showed up when his team needed him most last night but people really do need to realize difference between h@te and criticism.

Just because I bashed Dirk for being outplayed by his teammates in the first 4 games of the series doesn't mean I have anything against him. Just because I expected our league MVP to take advantage of guys 4-6 inches shorter than him doesn't mean I hate him. Hell, Avery essentially criticized Dirk for the same sh!t..is he h@ting too?

And this has nothing to do with me being a Laker fan or a Kobe fan or w/e. I already said many times that Kobe isn't the MVP and shouldn't be so whats there to be bitter about?

Good game from Dirk last night..quiet 30 pts but he stepped up when it mattered most and saved his team the season.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:53 PM   #44
Diesel J
College superstar

Lets not get carried away.Dirk deserves props for stepping up in the last two minutes but before that dude was MIA and playing scared as hellDevin Harris and Josh Howard were carrying them until those final two minutes before the Warriors gave the game away.

Last edited by Diesel J : 05-02-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Diesel J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:53 PM   #45
Howard5Dirk41
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsizzle
Congrats to Dirk last night, he showed up when his team needed him most last night but people really do need to realize difference between h@te and criticism.

Just because I bashed Dirk for being outplayed by his teammates in the first 4 games of the series doesn't mean I have anything against him. Just because I expected our league MVP to take advantage of guys 4-6 inches shorter than him doesn't mean I hate him. Hell, Avery essentially criticized Dirk for the same sh!t..is he h@ting too?

And this has nothing to do with me being a Laker fan or a Kobe fan or w/e. I already said many times that Kobe isn't the MVP and shouldn't be so whats there to be bitter about?

Good game from Dirk last night..quiet 30 pts but he stepped up when it mattered most and saved his team the season.

You bash Dallas because its the cool thing to do, and you;re jealous that Dirk is about to win MVP and Kobe has never won it.
Howard5Dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: