Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-29-2012, 12:31 AM   #31
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Default Re: Only 33% of Americans think Obama is a Christian, per AP poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
No, I don't. I just don't feel like he's christian. I guess I really have nothing to base it on besides his speeches and policy actions. I feel like he's putting up a front because he has to be somewhat christian to be elected.
I feel like a lot of supposed religious people are putting up a front. I'd say about 10-percent of the 'Christian' people I meet on a daily basis are actual practicing Christians... Following the Bible, going to Mass regularly, doing confessionals, living up to the commandments, etc.

So, in that sense, I would probably agree that he isn't a Christian in the very orthodox way of looking at it. But, I do believe he's among those who is a part of the Christian culture, which is on the other side of being orthodox. And generally, those people who partake in Christian customs and the culture are still considered and do consider themselves Christian, even though it wouldn't pass muster in the very strictest sense.

This is coming from someone who absolutely wishes he was a secret agnostic/atheist. I have no reason to believe that is the case.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:44 AM   #32
Balla_Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcanzIIravor
Absent evidence saying he isn't and with clear evidence pointing to him having a strong Christian faith isn't it illogical to have the staunch opinion that he isn't a Christian? Being illogical is something I can't understand so it's a pet peeve of mind. I'll just agree to disagree. As far as him sucking ass, well at least I can understand that opinion based on political leaning.

Either way, just know that I don't base my vote on the fact that I believe he isn't christian. In this country, it's almost mandatory to be christian. I think he's putting up a front...just my opinion.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:48 AM   #33
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
In this country, it's almost mandatory to be christian.
Apparently not, since the candidate for unarguably the more religiously fixated party is a Mormon. I'm hoping there will come a day when people will really look at the separation of church and state seriously. It shouldn't even be a part of the discussion in the first place.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #34
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

For anyone interested, CNN did a feature about Obama's faith about a week ago. Pretty good reading.

The Gospel According to Obama
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #35
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

I hope he's a Muslim. I want a Muslim president. Now I'm definitely voting for him. Thanks for this. You just gave him another vote.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:15 AM   #36
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Apparently not, since the candidate for unarguably the more religiously fixated party is a Mormon. I'm hoping there will come a day when people will really look at the separation of church and state seriously. It shouldn't even be a part of the discussion in the first place.

It shouldn't, but it is. I am getting so fed up of this racist, anti-science, anti-intellectualism, anti-woman, bullshit hate mongering that is so prevalent in this country. An Obama mannequin was recently strung up from a tree at a church in Charlotte, NC. A CHURCH. In 2012. Politicians who have science textbooks replaced with Christian creationist books in public ****ing schools. Does the first amendment even mean anything anymore? Churches are blatantly endorsing candidates and yet still remain open with tax exempt status.

Religion is the poison that is killing this country and the world.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:37 AM   #37
JtotheIzzo
NBA Superstar

When people say there is no race baiting, they are full of shit because this is a parallel tactic to that.

He's gone to church for the past 20 years, but people still doubt his faith, so why do they?

Because they perpetually get hit with these messages both subliminal and direct that Obama isn't typical, not a real American and so they start all this shit to make people like Hawkboy above question something they already know the answer to.

Its the same assholes who b*tch about Reverend Wright's undue influence on Obama say he isn't Christian out the other side of their mouth.

Its a dirty and disgusting tactic.

Just like Trump with the insinuations that first he isn't American, and now he didn't earn his way to college, and then for good measure suggests a few stereotypical black charities.

It is blatant racism. They aren't coming up and saying he is a n*gger, but they are going out of their way to find new ways to show you he is one of 'them'.

Gross.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:55 AM   #38
DCL
NBA sixth man of the year

i think obama is an atheist cuz he ain't a dumb f--k.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #39
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

OP is aware that Romney is a Mormon whose grandfather moved to Mexico in order to have multiple wives right?
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #40
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

And only 1% of America actually cares.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #41
longhornfan1234
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
When people say there is no race baiting, they are full of shit because this is a parallel tactic to that.

He's gone to church for the past 20 years, but people still doubt his faith, so why do they?

Because they perpetually get hit with these messages both subliminal and direct that Obama isn't typical, not a real American and so they start all this shit to make people like Hawkboy above question something they already know the answer to.

Its the same assholes who b*tch about Reverend Wright's undue influence on Obama say he isn't Christian out the other side of their mouth.

Its a dirty and disgusting tactic.

Just like Trump with the insinuations that first he isn't American, and now he didn't earn his way to college, and then for good measure suggests a few stereotypical black charities.

It is blatant racism. They aren't coming up and saying he is a n*gger, but they are going out of their way to find new ways to show you he is one of 'them'.

Gross.

Chris Matthews? Is that you?
longhornfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #42
longhornfan1234
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
OP is aware that Romney is a Mormon whose grandfather moved to Mexico in order to have multiple wives right?

Non partisan link...or GTFO.
longhornfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #43
IcanzIIravor
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
Non partisan link...or GTFO.

It was his great grand father who fled so he could bang multiple women and claim them as his wives.

link
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #44
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcanzIIravor
It was his great grand father who fled so he could bang multiple women and claim them as his wives.

link

My bad.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #45
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Sounds like this cat Longhornfan is more representative of the average US citizen than I thought.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: