Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default could todays nba players wear old school converse?

the low tops from the 1950's?

Local High School Star franchise#3's Avatar

Default Re: could todays nba players wear old school converse?

Some could, but guys like Stephen Curry who has weak ankles couldn't.

Yea everybody besides Stephen curry he needs to wear knee high shoes

Dunking on everybody in the park shallehalle's Avatar

Shaq would need like 20 pairs for one Quarter

Modern basketball shoes are a joke. Completely unnecessary padding messes with your running form (dat heel strike).

Quote Originally Posted by #number6ix#
    Yea everybody besides Stephen curry he needs to wear knee high shoes

Not airballing my layups anymore Wukillabeez78's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisPosh
    Modern basketball shoes are a joke. Completely unnecessary padding messes with your running form (dat heel strike).
    You should really only heel strike when walking. The most efficient, safest and fastest way to run is on the forefront of your foot. Some long distance runners heel strike but sprinters/intermediate runners are better served by running on the balls/forefront of their feet.

http://www.posetech.com/training/archives/000564.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrOgDCZ4GUo

Running in basketball is all about quick, explosive bursts of speed (sprinting). Modern day basketball shoes with more padding make a big difference compared to the shoes of yesteryear. Here's an article talking about the importance of good basketball shoes:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/26...ketball-shoes/

Quote Originally Posted by Wukillabeez78
    You should really only heel strike when walking. The most efficient, safest and fastest way to run is on the forefront of your foot. Some long distance runners heel strike but sprinters/intermediate runners are better served by running on the balls/forefront of their feet.

http://www.posetech.com/training/archives/000564.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrOgDCZ4GUo

Running in basketball is all about quick, explosive bursts of speed (sprinting). Modern day basketball shoes with more padding make a big difference compared to the shoes of yesteryear. Here's an article talking about the importance of good basketball shoes:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/26...ketball-shoes/
    I think you missed my point..

Thick soles encourage heel strike. That's why when you run barefoot it's almost instinctual to fore-foot strike. Modern basketball shoes work against that and develop bad habits.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisPosh
    I think you missed my point..

Thick soles encourage heel strike. That's why when you run barefoot it's almost instinctual to fore-foot strike. Modern basketball shoes work against that and develop bad habits.
    If this is the point you were trying to make it was unclear and additionally it's not really a valid one. Modern basketball shoes aren't just thick at the sole, they have extensive padding at the forefront of the shoe as well. Running with bad form (heel strike) isn't a big issue in basketball at all. Basketball is an explosive sport and the running one does while playing is all geared towards jumping (to shoot, dunk, grab a rebound, block a shot, etc...). 99% of all basketball players naturally run on the toes/forefront of foot (for more speed) and this affords them a seamless transition into exploding upwards off the ground when jumping (also on balls of their feet).

Running with bad form (heel strike) is a big issue for runners, specifically for long distance runners. Even so it's not the shoes or their design that encourages runners to develop bad habits. As the first link that I originally posted discusses, most people feel runners develop bad habits primarily because of this direct quote, "Majority of runners have never learned to run because everybody can put their shoes on and out the door they go... Whatever training a few underwent was never technique oriented. Running was never accepted or assumed to be a technique sport". [COLOR="Red"]Inexperience and lack of formal training is why runners run with bad form[/COLOR]. The shoes they wear have nothing to do with the issue...

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Wukillabeez78
    If this is the point you were trying to make it was unclear and additionally it's not really a valid one. Modern basketball shoes aren't just thick at the sole, they have extensive padding at the forefront of the shoe as well. Running with bad form (heel strike) isn't a big issue in basketball at all. Basketball is an explosive sport and the running one does while playing is all geared towards jumping (to shoot, dunk, grab a rebound, block a shot, etc...). 99% of all basketball players naturally run on the toes/forefront of foot (for more speed) and this affords them a seamless transition into exploding upwards off the ground when jumping (also on balls of their feet).

Running with bad form (heel strike) is a big issue for runners, specifically for long distance runners. Even so it's not the shoes or their design that encourages runners to develop bad habits. As the first link that I originally posted discusses, most people feel runners develop bad habits primarily because of this direct quote, "Majority of runners have never learned to run because everybody can put their shoes on and out the door they go... Whatever training a few underwent was never technique oriented. Running was never accepted or assumed to be a technique sport". [COLOR="Red"]Inexperience and lack of formal training is why runners run with bad form[/COLOR]. The shoes they wear have nothing to do with the issue...
    Dropping some knowledge today. Taking a break from your Thesis?

Quote Originally Posted by Knicksfever2010
    the low tops from the 1950's?
    If the players of today had never experienced modern basketball shoes they'd be fine wearing the shoes from yesteryear. However, if you're asking whether they'd be able to adapt now to playing in shoes from the 1950's that would be much harder. It would be a big difference for them. It'd be like asking someone to get used to watching a 1950's television when they're used to the High definition sets of today. I'm sure they'd do their best to adapt but it'd be a hard pill for many of them to swallow...

Quote Originally Posted by WesWelkerACL
    Dropping some knowledge today. Taking a break from your Thesis?
    No, I actually finished my thesis a few years ago!

I wore converse in a basketball game once just to see what would happen. I felt free to run and jump okay but experienced intense pain from blisters when attempting quick lateral moves.

The Aftermath:
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-f...0/IMG_2125.jpg
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6...0/IMG_2127.jpg

You can see the outside corner of my feet are what took the brunt of the damage (from stop-and-go lateral moves). The shoes were snugly fitted and I wore thick socks, I don't think I could have had them fit any better. Those shoes are just brutal. I think the players feet from back then must have been heavily calloused.

I want some of you to actually get up go to the park with old school converse on and play for 2 or 3 hours. It isn't even funny how uncomfortable and ankle dangerous these shoes are. Absolutely no base support when running (your going to feel like your barefoot). Even if you tie them up absolutely tight it feels like your not getting any blood running through your foot. 0/10 I would rate these as basketball shoes.

Also if your going to twist or sprain your ankle its going to happen. No basketball shoe is gonna prevent that

Banned

No.

Old school Converse will destroy or get a player hurt.

How they played in those shoes back in the days amazes me. The shoes are flat and there are not support for arch, heel and foot.

I don't advise anyone to play in those pieces of crap.