Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Default Re: Deron Williams may take his talents to Turkey!

Quote Originally Posted by bletchley
    2 of the best teams of the euroleague are efes pilsen and fenerbahce and they are turkish teams
    and deron could be the mvp of euroleague, it is not that diffcult at all
    Chances of Williams being Euroleague MVP IF he played there his first season (which he won't) are about 2-5 percent at most.

Of course that is why he chose to play in Europe's version of the D League instead.

Also, Efes and Fener are NOT two of the best teams in Euroleague. They are no more than average.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by kNIOKAS
    you're such a dum. there is different game in europe than in nba. different rules dictate different requirements. how can't you grasp that. ignorant dork.
    Sure it is a different game, no arguing that but I also think there is no arguing that Deron Williams is a much more talented player than Anthony Parker and I see no reason why he wouldnt dominate in the Euroleague. Im sure it would take a little adjusting but come on, to think that Deron Williams wouldn't be the best player in the Euroleague is just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    Chances of Williams being Euroleague MVP IF he played there his first season (which he won't) are about 95% percent at worst.

He chose Turkey as to not embarass the Euroleague with his dominance.
    Damn, strong words from Euroleague. Don't mince words there.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Default Re: Deron Williams may take his talents to Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by b1imtf
    In before Euroleague says he'll suck
    can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by Sampsonsimpson
    Sure it is a different game, no arguing that but I also think there is no arguing that Deron Williams is a much more talented player than Anthony Parker and I see no reason why he wouldnt dominate in the Euroleague. Im sure it would take a little adjusting but come on, to think that Deron Williams wouldn't be the best player in the Euroleague is just ignorant.
    First of all, Deron Williams cannot dominate the Euroleague because he will not play in the Euroleague.

Secondly, unlike the NBA, the Euroleague has a true zone defense and not the half pseudo zone that the NBA allows. The Euroleague refs allow way more physical contact and call way less fouls.

There is no defensive 3 second violation in the Euroleague. There is not a no hand checking rule in the Euroleague. You can hand check all you want on guards.

The defenders are allowed to hip check and shoulder block into the offensive point guard when he has the ball on the perimeter.

There will be 1 or 2 6-10 to 7 feet or taller guys camped in the lane under the basket virtually the entire game...........

On offense you are NOT allowed to palm the ball. You are NOT allowed to make an offensive move until your dribble hits the court. You are NOT allowed to take more than 2.5 steps, if you catch the ball in movement, and NOT more than 2 steps if you start with the ball in your hands.

You are NOT allowed to move your pivot foot until your dribble hits the court, and only then can you make a move, and then you can only make 2 steps without a dribble.

Also, generally speaking, the players are much more physical in the Euroleague than they are in the NBA. And in the case of the point guard position, the point guards in the Euroleague are much bigger than NBA point guards are.

Deron Williams is a big point guard in the NBA. In the Euroleague he would be average, to maybe even below average in size. In the Euroleague defense is much more important and played with much more effort.

Euroleague games are played with much more intensity than NBA regular season games are. In the Euroleague the games start right away at the beginning of the season with physicality, hard defense, and intensity. In the NBA that starts basically at the playoffs.

Of course, Deron Williams will not be playing in Euroleague. He will be playing in the Eurocup, if his team manages to qualify and in the TBL. But the point is that the Euroleague is not the NBA.

The Euroleague (where Williams won't actually be playing) is the exact opposite of the NBA. The Euroleague is a hard, physical, intense, defense oriented league, with rules and reffing that make it a much harder brand of basketball to play.

It is not like the NBA, which is basically sports entertainment.

The myths that Americans have about the Euroleague are quite comical.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 07-11-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Decent playground baller Laimbeer_Rodman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bletchley
    2 of the best teams of the euroleague are efes pilsen and fenerbahce and they are turkish teams
    and deron could be the mvp of euroleague, it is not that diffcult at all
    Where did you get this stuff?

Not airballing my layups anymore pgm's Avatar

then can you make a move, and then you can only make 2 dribbles.
    This doesn't sound right.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease GilZero's Avatar

First of all, Deron Williams cannot dominate the Euroleague because he will not play in the Euroleague.

Secondly, unlike the NBA, the Euroleague has a true zone defense and not the half pseudo zone that the NBA allows. The Euroleague refs allow way more physical contact and call way less fouls.

There is no defensive 3 second violation in the Euroleague. There is not a no hand checking rule in the Euroleague. You can hand check all you want on guards.

The defenders are allowed to hip check and shoulder block into the offensive point guard when he has the ball on the perimeter.

There will be 1 or 2 6-10 to 7 feet or taller guys camped in the lane under the basket virtually the entire game...........

On offense you are NOT allowed to palm the ball. You are NOT allowed to make an offensive move until your dribble hits the court. You are NOT allowed to take more than 2.5 steps, if you catch the ball in movement, and NOT more than 2 steps if you start with the ball in your hands.

You are NOT allowed to move your pivot foot until your dribble hits the court, and only then can you make a move, and then you can only make 2 dribbles.

Also, generally speaking, the players are much more physical in the Euroleague than they are in the NBA. And in the case of the point guard position, the point guards in the Euroleague are much bigger than NBA point guards are.

Deron Williams is a big point guard in the NBA. In the Euroleague he would be average, to maybe even below average in size. In the Euroleague defense is much more important and played with much more effort.

Euroleague games are played with much more intensity than NBA regular season games are. In the Euroleague the games start right away at the beginning of the season with physicality, hard defense, and intensity. In the NBA that starts basically at the playoffs.

Of course, Deron Williams will not be playing in Euroleague. He will be playing in the Eurocup, if his team manages to qualify and in the TBL. But the point is that the Euroleague is not the NBA.

The Euroleague (where Williams won't actually be playing) is the exact opposite of the NBA. The Euroleague is a hard, physical, intense, defense oriented league, with rules and reffing that make it a much harder brand of basketball to play.

It is not like the NBA, which is basically sports entertainment.

The myths that Americans have about the Euroleague are quite comical.
    This is actually a great, great post. Well most of it atleast.

You guys in here keep mocking the Euroleague poster above and the league itself while your own knowledge about European basketball is laughable to say the least. You don't know the rules, how the league is built, the players, the defense. And yet you throw around the "Anthony Parker 2x MVP" joke like you know shit

The lockout has had a purpose for me atleast, exposing the ignorance and arrogance of NBA fans and what they know about the outside world of basketball. My god.

Quote Originally Posted by Sampsonsimpson
    Ok, lets wait and see. I'm saying it's 40% chance he'll have TOP 5 stats in the league (which is not euroleague but different). So I'm like betting with knowing I'm slightly favoured. And are you saying he'll be TOP 5 or TOP 3 or MVP like?

I rule the local playground

Default Re: Analysis and reactions to Deron Williams signing with team in Turkey

Deron played against a top 8 euroleague team last year and dominated as expected.16 points on 5/8 fgs ,5 assists in 24 minutes against Real Madrid.I watched the game and it was more dominant performace than what the boxscore showed.He was drivin and dishing at will,noone could stay in front of him.

Seriously it's an insult to common sense to suggest that arguably the best point guard in the world,the player with the most 20-20 performances in last years, can not win the euroleague mvp award if given the proper time to adjust (1-2 months) and a relatively strong roster around him.

Quote Originally Posted by pgm
    This doesn't sound right.
    Yea does he mean two steps? but that still doesn't make much sense... I don't believe they limit the amount of dribbles...

chips93
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Analysis and reactions to Deron Williams signing with team in Turkey

so basically, as long as deron is careful with his feet, so he doesnt travel, and is a little more careful with palming, he'll be the best player in europe.

how come none none of these things slowed him down in the olympics?

I rule the local playground

You should take everything Euroleague writes with a grin of salt.Fiba refs are no stricter in enforcing palming than Nba ones.They call it rarely,and it's not because euroleague guards don't palm.Drew Nicholas a guard of euroleague champions Panathinaikos palms the ball in every dribble he makes and never gets called for that.They're stricter when it comes to travelling,that's true but thats' not out of pure love for the rules.If that was the case they wouldn't allow the hundrends of illegal screens than go unpunished in every euroleague game.You think Garnett is bad?Watch Mike Batiste or Felipe Reyes,the best ass-screeners in the world.

chips93
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak
    You should take everything Euroleague writes with a grin of salt.Fiba refs are no stricter in enforcing palming than Nba ones.They call it rarely,and it's not because euroleague guards don't palm.Drew Nicholas a guard of euroleague champions Panathinaikos palms the ball in every dribble he makes and never gets called for that.They're stricter when it comes to travelling,that's true but thats' not out of pure love for the rules.If that was the case they wouldn't allow the hundrends of illegal screens than go unpunished in every euroleague game.You think Garnett is bad?Watch Mike Batiste or Felipe Reyes,the best ass-screeners in the world.

i dont really watch any euroleague, but are their rules any different from the rules at the 08 olympics?

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    i dont really watch any euroleague, but are their rules any different from the rules at the 08 olympics?
    The answer is no, but oh boy. You are opening a can of worms.

Lakas is going to post a massive rant now on how the referees at the Olympics were systematically ignoring team USA traveling violations and calling the entire game in favor of the US.