Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 12-01-2008, 11:49 PM   #1
WhiteMosɘs
Free Myanmar

Default Best RPG of All Time?

What is it? I just got into RPGs a few years ago, so offer up your oldie references. This is my favourite genre, and can be absolutely stunning when done right, or sh it when a developer throws in a few choices so they can get the RPG label.

Anyways, what do you think is the best RPG of all time? Criteria is basically self-explanatory, the best one ever.
WhiteMosɘs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:11 AM   #2
Mathius
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Best RPG of All Time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMosɘs
What is it? I just got into RPGs a few years ago, so offer up your oldie references. This is my favourite genre, and can be absolutely stunning when done right, or sh it when a developer throws in a few choices so they can get the RPG label.

Anyways, what do you think is the best RPG of all time? Criteria is basically self-explanatory, the best one ever.

I don't think I can pick one. Final Fantasy 7 had awesome characters and a great magic system (Materia) but it's so old now.. the graphics are so outdated..

Dragon Quest VIII (Journey of the Cursed King) has pretty awesome gameplay and the story is pretty good too, but the leveling takes forever and some of the stuff for the Alchemists pot is really hard to get. Not to mention you can't even get the best weapon in the game until AFTER you beat the game. What's up with that?

Final Fantasy 9 was good as well... for that matter all the Playstation Final Fantasy's were good.

I couldn't get into any FF on PS2. By the time the graphics got that good, the menu-based play just pissed me off. I wanted real time combat at that point.

Honorable mention to Shadow Run on the SNES, and Chrono Trigger.

Didn't Mario get an RPG on SNES? Lots of good RPG's on SNES.

Fable II is supposed to be phenomenal, but I don't own an XBOX or PS3, and my buddy I play XBox with won't touch RPG's.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:50 AM   #3
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Star Wars Galaxies, hands down.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
sixerfan82
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
Star Wars Galaxies, hands down.

The best RPG's of all time will fall nowhere near the last 10 years in development.

I'm going with dragon warrior, mainly because it's the first RPG I remember playing. It also included the first multiphase boss, the 'dragonlord'.

It was a great, 20 levels of monster slaying goodness, with puzzles, quests, a land to explore
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Dragon Quest VIII (Journey of the Cursed King) has pretty awesome gameplay and the story is pretty good too, but the leveling takes forever and some of the stuff for the Alchemists pot is really hard to get. Not to mention you can't even get the best weapon in the game until AFTER you beat the game. What's up with that?

Mathius

Dragon Quest VIII is severely underrated
DQVIII is probably on of the best on the PS2… its cut from the classic mold so yeah it can get a bit tedious with the level grinding. SMT is the same.

other good PS2 RPGs:
Shin Megami Tensai: Nocturne
Star Ocean III: Till the End of Time
Suikoden V (best Suikoden on PS2)
Tales of Legendia
Tales of the Abyss

then PS2 has some good adventuresique RPGs:
Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana (best game in this Gust franchise)
Odin Sphere (more hack & slash with mild RPG elements)

and for a break down of the best per console:

NES
Final Fantasy
Dragon Warrior IV (best in the series on NES)
Faria

Sega Master System
Phantasy Star
Miracle Warriors
Golvellious (more "zelda" style)

Genesis/Sega CD
Phantasy Star II & IV
Lunar: The Silver Star
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
Popful Mail

Turbo Grafx
Ys Book I & II (this is one disc with both games)
Cosmic Fantasy 2
Exile: Wicked Phenomenon
Dragon Slayer: Legend of Heroes
Dungeon Explorer (more Gauntlet style)

SNES (this was the premier console for RPG during the early days)
Final Fantasy II & III USA
Chrono Trigger
Lufia: Fortress of Doom
Dragon Quest VI
Star Ocean
Tales of Phantasia
Shadowrun

Saturn
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Albert Odyssey
Dragon Force (more strategy style)

PlayStation (the second RPG powerhouse)
Star Ocean 2: Second Story
Valkyrie Profile
Grandia
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Suikoden I & II
Tales of Destiny
Vagrant Story
Xenogears

Dreamcast
Skies of Arcadia
Grandia II

Gamecube
Tales of Symphonia

Xbox 360
Lost Odyssey
Tales of Vesperia
Infinite Undiscovery (I haven't played it yet but Tri-Ace is usually good)

•Final notes:
these games I have listed are better known as JRPGs aka Japanese style Role Playing Games. I am partial to JRPGs more than western RPGs (ie Oblivion, KOTOR, et cetera…)
I am sure some other members can point out premium western RPGs.
Regarding some of the SNES offerings that came out in Japan, google can aid in the way to play these games ;)
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
LJJ
Extra Cheese

I'm going to copy Sonic R for the consoles I'm most familiar with

SNES:
Secret of Mana
Breath of Fire I & II
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 2 & 3
EarthBound
Star Ocean
Tales of Phantasia
Bahamut Lagoon

Genesis:
Lunar SSS & EB
Shining Force 2
Phantasy Star 2

Gameboy:
Pokémon Blue/Red
Final Fantasy Legend 2
Dragon Warrior 3

Nintendo 64:
Paper Mario

Gameboy Advance:
Golden Sun
Megaman Battle Network 2

Gamecube:
Skies of Arcadia Legends (DC)
Phantasy Star Online I&II (DC)
Baten Kaitos
Tales of Symphonia
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #7
macmac
Gov'n

My top five list is

5. DQ8
4. FF7
3. Earthbound
2. FF6
1. Chrono Trigger

Honorable mentions: Final Fantasy 4, Shining Force 2. Baldur's Gate series, Fallout series

Fans of earthbound should also check online for the translation of Mother 3(earthbound 2). That game is seriously kickass and a nice throwback to the days of awesome 2D RPGs.
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #8
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

Skies of Arcadia
Suikoden I and II
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #9
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan82
The best RPG's of all time will fall nowhere near the last 10 years in development.

I'm going with dragon warrior, mainly because it's the first RPG I remember playing. It also included the first multiphase boss, the 'dragonlord'.

It was a great, 20 levels of monster slaying goodness, with puzzles, quests, a land to explore

I'm as nostalgic as the next guy, but SWG was the best RolePlaying game I've ever played, by far. It's probably because of the LOVE that people have for Star Wars (I'm not a huge SW fan myself). The world was HUGE, and most the cities, shops, bases, etc. were built and ran by players. There were tons of places to explore, and lots of creatures to slay. There were also tons of quests and class specific missions; like Player Bounties for Bounty Hunters. There were some communities in the game that were hardcore RP... meaning these guys wouldn't even come out of character at all while playing... you really felt like you were in the world of Star Wars, interacting with thousands of other people.

Anyway, I realize everyone has an ifininity for old games, as do I... but there is no way a single-player RP game like Dragon Quest or Phantasy Star can ever match the RP value of a "sandbox" MMORPG where the entire world is ran by players, and the player is deeply immersed into the environment.

Of course, most of the new MMORPG's don't do this. Games like WoW have become almost completely linear; like playing a single player game with lots of people around. In this case I have no problem with these MMORPG's being compared to single player RPG's.

Just my opinion, no disrespect meant towards older RPG's... because I've played and loved lots of them. I can still remember the first time I played Chrono-Trigger... that game was so revolutionary to me, it left a long-lasting effect... the same way SWG has. For me, nothing can beat a well-done "sandbox" MMORPG... too bad there has only been a couple made in the history of gaming.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:42 PM   #10
vapid
Paranoid Android

JRPG: Chrono Trigger, FF6
MMORPG: WoW
Western RPG: Baldur's Gate 2, and I heard planescape is pretty good
Strategy RPG: Final Fantasy Tactics (i like ogre battle 64 too)
Action RPG: Diablo (you can put zelda if you count it here)

Most successful RPG: Pokemon.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #11
intrinsic
Local High School Star

I don't know about listing Grandia II among the "best", at least not for me, personally. It was pretty, the protagonist was likable, and the story followed a successful formula.

The adventure map was less than interesting, and the towns weren't much better. Usually, I'm anticipating and exicted about the discovery of new towns/areas to explore. Grandia II, is just like a long desert highway with no offramps and the towns serve as rest areas to stretch ur legs and take a break. I guess it might be worth it to check out the battle system/movement, but I wouldn't rec it to someone looking for an rpg, and I'm a fairly hardcore dc fan. It isn't bad;conversely, a game like nightcaster, now that is FUCKING AWFUL.

I guess if I had to rec three games,

Xenogears is going to be difficult to acquire, and probably expensive. But that would be one I'd rec highly. Excellent.

If you liked Oblivion, you should like Morrowind. I've never actually finished either one of these games since I usually find myself distracted by killing off the NPC's.

Final Fantasy is okay as long as you stay away from the DS. Recently, I had the most fun replaying through the GBA version of the game with sage tellah and the twins. I think that's 4? The dungeon on the moon was kinda fun too.

Secret of Mana(snes)

Suikoden(1,2,5) note: 2 is going to be hard to find, and expensive. Stay away from 3 at least until you've played others in the franchise.

Phantasy Star (2 / 4) It's probably best to play these two before you dive into the 3rd installment. I'm in the minority since I really liked 3, but it deviates from the others, and it doesn't seem to fit as the third installment. I don't think I could or would play through phatntasy star 3 today, though.
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:51 PM   #12
sixerfan82
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
I'm as nostalgic as the next guy, but SWG was the best RolePlaying game I've ever played, by far. It's probably because of the LOVE that people have for Star Wars (I'm not a huge SW fan myself). The world was HUGE, and most the cities, shops, bases, etc. were built and ran by players. There were tons of places to explore, and lots of creatures to slay. There were also tons of quests and class specific missions; like Player Bounties for Bounty Hunters. There were some communities in the game that were hardcore RP... meaning these guys wouldn't even come out of character at all while playing... you really felt like you were in the world of Star Wars, interacting with thousands of other people.

Anyway, I realize everyone has an ifininity for old games, as do I... but there is no way a single-player RP game like Dragon Quest or Phantasy Star can ever match the RP value of a "sandbox" MMORPG where the entire world is ran by players, and the player is deeply immersed into the environment.

Of course, most of the new MMORPG's don't do this. Games like WoW have become almost completely linear; like playing a single player game with lots of people around. In this case I have no problem with these MMORPG's being compared to single player RPG's.

Just my opinion, no disrespect meant towards older RPG's... because I've played and loved lots of them. I can still remember the first time I played Chrono-Trigger... that game was so revolutionary to me, it left a long-lasting effect... the same way SWG has. For me, nothing can beat a well-done "sandbox" MMORPG... too bad there has only been a couple made in the history of gaming.

Ok, SWG is an MMO, which by category alone makes it not an RPG. And I discount titles based off movies as the movie hype clutters the "greatness" of it, which means matrix is out as well

I can respect your view though, although I don't feel an MMO deserves any top 10 spot on best RPG of all time
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:58 PM   #13
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrinsic
I don't know about listing Grandia II among the "best", at least not for me, personally. It was pretty, the protagonist was likable, and the story followed a successful formula.

The adventure map was less than interesting, and the towns weren't much better. Usually, I'm anticipating and exicted about the discovery of new towns/areas to explore. Grandia II, is just like a long desert highway with no offramps and the towns serve as rest areas to stretch ur legs and take a break. I guess it might be worth it to check out the battle system/movement, but I wouldn't rec it to someone looking for an rpg, and I'm a fairly hardcore dc fan. It isn't bad;conversely, a game like nightcaster, now that is FUCKING AWFUL.

With the DC, there really isn't much for RPG beyond Skies of Arcadia and Grandia II. I thought Grandia II was pretty solid and the battle system is ace. Grandia III was average at best… simply because it was totally linear. The game held your hand from the start to the end. The battle system as improved but the game lacked substance where II still had some. I wish I was fluent japanese as Grandia was much smoother on Saturn and the PlayStation version just seemed slapped together. But the first Grandia is the best in the series. I haven't played through Grandia Xteme yet though. Either way, on Dreamcast, Skies of Arcadia > Grandia II >>> Evolution 1 & 2, Silver.
PSO is more like a MMO I guess.

Quote:
Suikoden(1,2,5) note: 2 is going to be hard to find, and expensive. Stay away from 3 at least until you've played others in the franchise.

Its unfortunate that Suikoden II has increased in price. The game kind of got neg press at its release for being too much like the first game, but I think thats what made it good as it didn't detract from the first game.

Quote:
Phantasy Star (2 / 4) It's probably best to play these two before you dive into the 3rd installment. I'm in the minority since I really liked 3, but it deviates from the others, and it doesn't seem to fit as the third installment. I don't think I could or would play through phatntasy star 3 today, though.

Phantasy Star IV is more aproachable than PSII as PSII is a beast and the dungeons can be very tedious. Alot of time is also needed to be spent on level grinding where PSIV moves more fluidly and is more balanced.
PSIII is a decent game but the story is really way off base from the rest of the series… I never did finish PSIII and hope to finish it some day. I love PSIV and have played through three times now its that good. I am half way through my second playthrough of PSII right now though I haven't played it in about 8 months
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:16 PM   #14
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Hmm, good thread. Just a few, off the top of my head:

Baldur's Gate
Neverwinter Nights
Ultima VII
Ultima Ascension
The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
Final Fantasy VII
Rogue Galaxy
Diablo I
Revenant
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:51 PM   #15
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

Final Fantasy 7, anyone that says otherwise never played it.
brandonislegend is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: