Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 01-23-2009, 04:57 AM   #1
biisak
Yeah, Iīm from Sweden

Default Microsoft fires back at Sony

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/946/946889p1.html

Quote:
Microsoft Fires Back At Sony
A response to the company's claim that Xbox 360 has no longevity and will lose in the end.
by Nate Ahearn
January 21, 2009 - In an interview that ran in a recent issue of Official PlayStation Magazine Sony's Kaz Hirai stated that the Xbox 360 "lacks longevity" and reinforced his opinion that the PlayStation 3 will beat out Microsoft's system by the end of this console cycle. Strong words for a system that was outsold by the Xbox 360 2:1 in the all-important month of December.

Hirai went on to say, "Last time I checked, they've never had a console that's been on the market for more than four or five years and we've committed to a ten year life cycle, so you do the math. And unless things go really bad, there's no way that at the end of a life cycle our competition is going to have a higher install base."

Here's what Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg had to say in response:

This sounds like an old hardware company that's comfortable with its market position. That complacent attitude is out of touch with where the industry and consumer is today. This generation won't be won over just hardware specs, but who can out-innovate when it comes to online and software. This is the kind of stuff that's in our DNA, and frankly moves the console war onto our home court.

I'm confident we will outsell the PS3 throughout the entire generation by providing more innovation and building the best and broadest games library while growing our entertainment experiences on the leading online network. With a U.S. install base lead now of more than 7 million units (according to NPD), I can't imagine any scenario where the PS3 can catch up with us. In fact, even if you doubled the current PS3 sales and Xbox 360 remained flat, they couldn't close the gap until 2014.
biisak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

Default Re: Microsoft fires back at Sony

360 for the win
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
Jumpshot Virus
Banned

Yep... phuck the PS3. I've been telling everyone all along they're wasting their cash on a PS3...
Jumpshot Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
Mathius
NBA lottery pick

I dunno, considering most XBox's fail, it wouldn't surprise me if PS3 eventually took over. Wasn't there a thread in the OTC where several guys said they had 5 different 360's and they finally gave up and bought a PS3?

Then again, Microsoft keeps bullying their way into exclusives and whatnot, the same way they bullied Windows into everyone's home. Ever hear about the Microsoft tax? So XBox could win out.

I still agree with the sentiment that XBox probably isn't in it for as long as PS3 though. Every playstation has been on the market for at least 8 years. I can't see 360 being around that long before they decide to come out with something new.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
Jumpshot Virus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
I dunno, considering most XBox's fail, it wouldn't surprise me if PS3 eventually took over. Wasn't there a thread in the OTC where several guys said they had 5 different 360's and they finally gave up and bought a PS3?

Then again, Microsoft keeps bullying their way into exclusives and whatnot, the same way they bullied Windows into everyone's home. Ever hear about the Microsoft tax? So XBox could win out.

I still agree with the sentiment that XBox probably isn't in it for as long as PS3 though. Every playstation has been on the market for at least 8 years. I can't see 360 being around that long before they decide to come out with something new.

Mathius

It doesn't matter how you look at it, seems as if 360 is whipping that ass pretty badly... and doesn't look as if things will change for a while if ever.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

read the article it says even if the 360 stops selling right now and the ps3 sells at the same rate they still wont catch up to the 360 until 2014
Old 01-23-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius

Mathius

your right about some things

1.the red rings of death ive gotten it one time and my freind twice in less then a month but ive never heard of 5 that seems like a exaggeration

2 the 360 probably wont be on as long as the ps3 cuz they are constently trying new technology there are rumors they want to put out a newer xbox in the year 2011
Old 01-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
Mathius
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
read the article it says even if the 360 stops selling right now and the ps3 sells at the same rate they still wont catch up to the 360 until 2014

<shrug> And that's a reach, but not impossible. Again, consider that the average lifespan of a playstation is 8 years, and all of the best games for the playstation systems have come out in the last year or two of the system's life.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #9
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

So because XBox has sold more units, it's a better system?

I guess McDonalds is the best restaurant in the World as well.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:14 PM   #10
sixerfan82
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
So because XBox has sold more units, it's a better system?

I guess McDonalds is the best restaurant in the World as well.

Backwards logic makes me cringe too

You see more advertisements for 360 so it's only natural people are going to buy it, doesn't mean it's necessarily better.

I'd still buy a PS3 over a 360 because PS3 has uncharted exclusively
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:03 AM   #11
biisak
Yeah, Iīm from Sweden

I thought the point of the article was to show of how Sonys claim that their hardware would make a difference has actually backfired. Not only is the least impressive system (system-spec-wise) outselling the other two by far but as Microsoft says, the focus will be to "out-innovate when it comes to online and software".

Iīve owned pretty much every console up until this generation and that was because I wanted to play all the AAA-exclusives for every system. This generation however, I havenīt felt the need and only owns an xbox 360. Sure thereīve been times when Iīve glanced at MGS and Zelda but since I donīt play as much anymore, the 360 is more then enough for me. Exclusives plays less and less of a role and I theyīll continue to do so.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:12 AM   #12
CelticForce1349
Ich Liebe die Bulls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpshot Virus
Yep... phuck the PS3. I've been telling everyone all along they're wasting their cash on a PS3...

Yeah and **** you too. I have both systems and only my PS3 continues to work each and every time I use it. You tell everyone not to spend their cash on a PS3? You must be an idiot.

The only thing the crap-box 3-****ty has on the PS3 is a bigger library of games. That will change when people stop taking bad advice from misinformed dudes like yourself.

The PS3 is a terrific system and it didn't stop working 3 months after I bought it. I haven't needed to send it back for repairs 3 times either.
CelticForce1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:12 AM   #13
Jumpshot Virus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticForce1349
Yeah and **** you too. I have both systems and only my PS3 continues to work each and every time I use it. You tell everyone not to spend their cash on a PS3? You must be an idiot.

The only thing the crap-box 3-****ty has on the PS3 is a bigger library of games. That will change when people stop taking bad advice from misinformed dudes like yourself.

The PS3 is a terrific system and it didn't stop working 3 months after I bought it. I haven't needed to send it back for repairs 3 times either.

OK... denial ... yes the 360 is a POS when it comes to hardware durability ... but the bottom-line is consumers are willing to pay for a new crap unit via 360 and not the PS3 b/c the "online" network is superior...
Old 01-24-2009, 04:19 AM   #14
biisak
Yeah, Iīm from Sweden

"Fun story" - I had surgery on my foot (basketball injury) in december and had two weeks off work to stay at home and rest. So I stocked up on some of the great releases that was this fall on 360 (Far Cry, Fallout, NBA 2k9, PES 2009, GoW2, Mirrorīs Edge) and decided to save some of them since I had so much time off to play videogames, something I donīt normally have.

Soooo... three days before the surgery, Iīm playing some Far Cry online when all of a sudden... three red lights of death... I was so pissed I donīt even know where to start. Luckily Iīve got loads of friends with 360 and could borrow one for a couple of weeks and enjoy the great games.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:56 PM   #15
CelticForce1349
Ich Liebe die Bulls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpshot Virus
OK... denial ... yes the 360 is a POS when it comes to hardware durability ... but the bottom-line is consumers are willing to pay for a new crap unit via 360 and not the PS3 b/c the "online" network is superior...

The online is superior for the 360? I don't even need to pay to use the PS3 for online gaming. With the 360 it costs 50 bucks a month. What online features are you referring to?

I used to think the 360 was so cool until I got the red ring of death three months after purchasing it. I sent it back, got it fixed and I was happy again. Around that time I had the chance to buy the PS3 "Metal Gear Solid" 80 gig hardrive version and I had the cash so I jumped on it. Ever since that time I have been shocked by the difference.

I got a free Blue-Ray player for starters, the sound quality of the system is much louder and more clear than the 360, the graphics for exclusive titles is insanely good, and the PS3 is just very user friendly overall. At this point I only play a game on the 360 when it is sure to be exclusive to the system, and even then, I have have doubts now as to whether I will purchase it.

My 360 has "died" 3 times. That is ridiculous! Those things cost way too much money for that to be happening. Why can't they make them work as well as the PS3?

I suspect Microsoft will dump their follow-up to the 360 on the market about 2 years ahead of Sony's PS4 to gain an advantage in the market once again. Well whatever. I am going to be patient and wait it out and I am 99% certain I will only be buying the the PS4.

Last edited by CelticForce1349 : 01-24-2009 at 03:06 PM.
CelticForce1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: