Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    why live??

Quote Originally Posted by asd
    "On no! A higher basket. The NBA is going down the drain now. Stern should be fired!"
    Cry me a river..
    You are insane. Why should the NBA have a totally different game to what the rest of the world plays?

It would have been hilarious if it did happen. NBA players would suck at FIBA internationals. I can just see all the kids that are NBA hopefuls getting out the ladders to put their garage basketball hoop up higher. :rollingeyes:

I rule the local playground

Regardless of the new ball, dress code, or hand-checking rules, the current Cavs-Wizard game is pretty damn exciting.

Banned

NEW BALL, HE SAYS!
    -does having a new ball affect you being a fan of the NBA? do you say, "damn that new ball! I just want to stop watching now!"
    No, but it's a symptom of a larger problem, a league that sees fans only as cash cows. Everyone and their mom knows the new ball was created for one reason, and one reason only. Merchandising. And it bothers me. It bothers me more because they won't admit it. It also bothers me because I am convinced this will lead to more new balls in years to come.

FIFA, the international soccer federation has been doing it for years. Every major tournament, that is every 2 years, they put out a new official soccer ball. Every time, they change the design slightly, tout the great improvements, and then charge you 50 bucks for an official ball. Most of the time, it's the same freaking ball, although this year, it was actually worse as they made it more slippery and goalies had trouble catching it.

All of this, of course, is to milk the cash cow that is their fanbase. You just have to wonder if the market will ever be oversaturated and what happens then. What happens when you can no longer convince people to buy more jerseys, League Passes, and other merchandise and players' contracts still get bigger and bigger? The same thing as in soccer, they'll jack up the prices. So when you have to pay a 100 bucks for the ****tiest seats at the Rose Garden, you can thank Stern and his brilliant marketing ideas.

why live??

Regardless of the new ball, dress code, or hand-checking rules, the current Cavs-Wizard game is pretty damn exciting.
    But playing under rules that are not beneficial for the development of fundamental basketball.

Stern has tried to over glamorise a sport that was glamorise enough. He's sees things like: dunks, and high points out puts as good things, so he changes the rules to suit.

Banned

this forum has some lame ads

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBunghole
    No, but it's a symptom of a larger problem, a league that sees fans only as cash cows. Everyone and their mom knows the new ball was created for one reason, and one reason only. Merchandising. And it bothers me. It bothers me more because they won't admit it. It also bothers me because I am convinced this will lead to more new balls in years to come.

FIFA, the international soccer federation has been doing it for years. Every major tournament, that is every 2 years, they put out a new official soccer ball. Every time, they change the design slightly, tout the great improvements, and then charge you 50 bucks for an official ball. Most of the time, it's the same freaking ball, although this year, it was actually worse as they made it more slippery and goalies had trouble catching it.

All of this, of course, is to milk the cash cow that is their fanbase. You just have to wonder if the market will ever be oversaturated and what happens then. What happens when you can no longer convince people to buy more jerseys, League Passes, and other merchandise and players' contracts still get bigger and bigger? The same thing as in soccer, they'll jack up the prices. So when you have to pay a 100 bucks for the ****tiest seats at the Rose Garden, you can thank Stern and his brilliant marketing ideas.
    Ok, I see your point. The new ball will add to your costs, and positive gain is only experienced by the NBA.

However, Stern should not be concerned with your financial situation, only the NBAs. When you fork over more money to the NBA, Stern is elated, and that's how it is in corporate America. When the NBA starts losing money, then Stern should be fired.

If you're all so dissatisfied with Stern's rule over the NBA, write a letter to the NBA stating that you're gonna stop watching NBA games until he is removed.

why live??

When you fork over more money to the NBA, Stern is elated, and that's how it is in corporate America. When the NBA starts losing money, then Stern should be fired.
    If you think like that you're not a real basketball fan, and you should find yourself a new hobbie. Seeing you're so interested in marketing, change management and business ethics, you should go post at www.nationalbusinessreview.com

why live??

If you're all so dissatisfied with Stern's rule over the NBA, write a letter to the NBA stating that you're gonna stop watching NBA games until he is removed.
    You don't get the point. You are stupid.

[QUOTE=Se

Of course Cuban would make that deal all over again. He sold it to YAHOO for over $5 Bil. dollars. With that money, YAHOO could have purchased multiple YouTube dot coms. You fail to see the point. Why continue?
    I'm sorry, but you don't seem to understand the history of web based video. When Cuban sold broadcast.com to Yahoo!, the technologies (internet radio and web video) were still relatively novel. As a result, the asking price for such a technology would naturally be high. It was a unique techology at the time. That's how the free market works. Yahoo! Launch was one of the influential forces behind digital video online, and as the service became more popular, more and more online video began to pop up. With the advent of Macromedia's (now Adobe's) Flash Video, online video became even more widespread and has become a normal, integral and almost seemless part of the internet experience. Google has a video service, youtube as well... NBC and MSNBC have videos of their programs available online... Comedy Central has several segments of their programs online... The Daily Show and Colbert Report especially. Now that video has become more common online, the asking price for something like YouTube won't be as high as it would have been 8 years ago. Now while the service is rather new... allowing people to upload their video to a site that automatically converts the video to flash for easy viewing... the idea of online video is not... This is why broadcast.com sold for so much.

If a service like Youtube were available at the time Yahoo! bought Broadcast.com, it would have sold for a lot more than Broadcast.com did... first, because of the relatively novel use of internet video, and second, because it is a technology that allows someone to upload video and have the program convert their video and present it online.
    Last edited by MaxFly; 11-01-2006 at 11:40 PM.

[QUOTE=Se

why live??

Do you fail to see the correlation between Stern and business, and marketing? Do you not understand that this entire post is about Commissioner Stern?
    And Commissioner Stern is the commissioner of the NBA. The "B" stands for Basketball, not Business.

Where's LakerRaider when you need him to spell it out? Well I guess I can do it:
    National Basketball Association

Have you noticed nobody is backing your argument?

why live??

"You are stupid~" Wah, wah~
    It's not long before oyu have some sort of stupid title under your name, the defining moment of becoming an idiot at ISH

[QUOTE=Se