Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 04-11-2007, 10:29 PM   #16
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation
Default Re: Julian Wright to shake Mr. Stern's hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan72
I know Self is a better coach then Weber
You do?

I can't say I've ever seen an Illinois team under Weber look so confused and underprepared as KU did against UCLA in the Elite Eight. And I know I've never seen Weber as overmatched on the sideline as Self was against Howland, or Self against Roy Williams in the '02 Sweet 16, or against Mike Brey in the '03 tournament, among many other times.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:23 AM   #17
ThaKing
Decent playground baller

ThaKing has an OK reputation so far

The last two minutes of the Virginia Tech game don't help Webers cause.

Last edited by ThaKing : 04-12-2007 at 04:08 PM.
ThaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #18
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Well, Christ, if you really want me to launch into another Illinois basketball manifesto...
I actually enjoy reading these.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:46 PM   #19
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaKing
The last two minutes of the Virginia Tech game don't help Webers cause.
If you want to point out a truly poor performance, the loss at Michigan State was just a total meltdown by players and coaching staff alike. Not even the best coaches- and Weber's one of them- are perfect.

As far as the VT game goes, that was simply a fitting culmination for the season; we just didn't have the ballhandlers or playmakers to handle their athleticism and pressure. I swear on my life I said this, though my girlfriend is my only witness to it; with 7-8 minutes left and a double-digit lead, I told her, "We're gonna lose this game. They're gonna keep attacking and pressing, and we won't be able to handle the pressure."

It was a lack of playmakers that did us in, which was in part because of recruiting misses but also in large part because of the injuries that decimated this team.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:35 PM   #20
ThaKing
Decent playground baller

ThaKing has an OK reputation so far

Self isn't a great coach, he's good but not great. He would be one helluva used car salesman.

Last edited by ThaKing : 04-12-2007 at 06:38 PM.
ThaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:33 PM   #21
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

If you combined Weber's coaching skills and player development with Self's personality and recruiting success, you'd pretty much have the perfect coach.

I've said time and again that Self coaches defense as well as anyone and is a terrific motivator, but his teams are often unorganized offensively and he's often overmatched on the sideline. I almost wanted to give him a pass for losing in the Elite Eight this year because it's still a pretty young team, but that wouldn't really be true, because while they weren't loaded with upperclassmen they were experienced. Besides, look at some of the champions in recent years; '06 Florida started four sophomores and three guys who were first-year starters. '03 Syracuse started two freshmen and a sophomore starting for the first year. '01 Duke started three sophomores and a freshman.

Anyway....I think that Illinois basketball would've been best off if Lon Kruger had stayed for the long term. No slight to Self or Weber, who were obviously both terrific hires, but just the instability of three coaching changes in eight years didn't help Illinois, and the stability of having the same guy, who's a terrific coach, would've been great. He's as bright of a pure basketball mind as Weber is, and while not the dynamic personality that Self is he still had great recruiting success at Illinois, handing Self a ready-made national title contender with three McD's All-Americans in 2000-2001.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: