Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 10-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
Attila
Local High School Star

Default Piston bigs might shoot more from long range

Quote:
It was the first day of training camp, and rookies Jonas Jerebko and Austin Daye were working on their three-point shots.

Jerebko, 6-feet-10, and Daye, 6-11, were knocking down shots with ease. It was a good example of what new coach John Kuester calls a "stretch four."

Kuester referred to a trend in the NBA to use power forwards, who traditionally play close to the basket, as three-point threats who also can slash to the basket.

Jerebko and Daye qualify. So do fellow rookie DaJuan Summers (6-8) and free-agent pickup Charlie Villanueva (6-11). The ability to surround the three-point line with shooters helps spread the floor, which opens penetration and the post-up game.

"With this group we have, we have a number of guys capable of making them (three-pointers)," Kuester said Wednesday. "We have a number of taller players that can make them. It has evolved, and it's something you have to keep in your arsenal. And it's something we will use."
This should be very interested, only thing is I'd want Summers playing closer to the basket.
Attila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
dd24
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Piston bigs might shoot more from long range

I guess everybody needs to be a threat from outside but I hope the offense doesn't "look" for this as a scoring option. Of course it's more difficult to guard someone when you know they have the ability to hit that shot, but for it to be a play that is ran for a particular big doesn't make sense.

I'm sure the thought behind this is it has been part of the Pistons offense for quite some time now with Sheed being the league leader in 3 pointers for big guys. That will need to be replaced, but who can we trust to do it? Charlie doesn't strike me as an outside shooter. Jerebko could potentially be and Daye might have a little range as well. I think they should work on their back to the basket games.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
dd24
NBA lottery pick

Well, maybe Charlie worked on his outside shot this offseason. He made both of his 3 point attempts the other night.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
el gringos
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I guess everybody needs to be a threat from outside but I hope the offense doesn't "look" for this as a scoring option. Of course it's more difficult to guard someone when you know they have the ability to hit that shot, but for it to be a play that is ran for a particular big doesn't make sense.

and Daye might have a little range as well. I think they should work on their back to the basket games.

Daye does have a lot of range- a great high post/top of the key player, his shooting and passing are special, especially for someone 6-11- he is also a very good post defender even though he will get much better with more strength/weight

I love the idea of a "stretch 4" and think it is a good idea to try to use that- it pulls a defender used to playing near the basket away from the hoop- austin daye is a perfect example of this- if jerbeko is a player, I already believe in summers and daye- pistons might have had the best draft in the nba as I like the idea of getting taller and better shooting all in one offseason between the draft picks and cv
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:22 AM   #5
Detroit32
Saw a basketball once

Opens up the floor a lot more for the slashers...I like it.
Detroit32 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: