Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Raptors give extension to Andrea Bargnani

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    Another big being overpaid too soon..not a surprise.
    Compared to the contracts other bigs have been given this one is very fair... And listen, imagine Bargs has a breakout year like Bynum did and averages like 22-23/8... His agent would probably have him demanding like 5 years 65-70 mill and then what'd we do? BC did this contract on the basis that Bargs has the potential to be a very good player and he's giving him that fixed contract now in hopes that he'll expand and be worth even more than that. It is kind of a gamble, but not really a major one and well worth it if you ask me.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Just when he was starting to develop and show he was perhaps worth a high lotto pick the pressure's right back on him.

Not airballing my layups anymore nev3rh00d's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
    Compared to the contracts other bigs have been given this one is very fair... And listen, imagine Bargs has a breakout year like Bynum did and averages like 22-23/8... His agent would probably have him demanding like 5 years 65-70 mill and then what'd we do? BC did this contract on the basis that Bargs has the potential to be a very good player and he's giving him that fixed contract now in hopes that he'll expand and be worth even more than that. It is kind of a gamble, but not really a major one and well worth it if you ask me.
    That's what I wanted 2 say. He has got a great potential. I think that was Raptors primary concern when they made an offer.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
    Just to give this some perspective for the haters...

Big Z 11 M/year
    Ben Wallets 15 mill/year
    Sam Dalembert 11-12 mill/year
    Nene 10 mill/year
    Biedrins 9 mill/year
    Bynum 14 mill/year
    Eddie Curry 11 mill/year
    Tyson Chandler 11 mill/year
    Emeka Okafor 12 mill/year

Bargnani at 10 mill/year is definitely a fair contract for both parties. And when his game improves even further as full time C we're gonna be laughing that we got him at this price, rather than it being the other way around.
    Yeah that is comparable for big men. The only problem with signing bigs on potential is usually you never get what you pay for.

Hopefully Bargs won't be the same. Since he was the top draft pick, isn't he already make close to 8 mil already????

Quote Originally Posted by knickscity
    Yeah that is comparable for big men. The only problem with signing bigs on potential is usually you never get what you pay for.

Hopefully Bargs won't be the same. Since he was the top draft pick, isn't he already make close to 8 mil already????
    Yes, next years qualifying offer would've been over 8 mill. So in fact it was probably a smart choice for BC to just offer him the 10 because like beastnani said, look at the going rate for good young big men. They all get overpaid and if Bargnani produced for an entire year what he did for that stretch during the 2nd half of the season, he would be demanding more than a 5 year 50 mill contract and BC would probably meet those demands..

He may be worth that much based on his potential and the fact that he seems have figured out how to play in the NBA. But he is still the worst rebounding big in the NBA.

"OMG....OMG....thank you SOOOOOOO much for signing that extension with us. $50 million!!!!!! So worth it."

Bargnani "You are welcome".

"So....you think you can get us into playoffs next year?"

Barnani "Did you pay me $15 million a year?"

"Uh.....no"

Bargnani "Then I don't think so......"

"Oh....that's ok.......we love you anyway......"

Ok... he's worth more than 5 mill a year and less than 10 mill... I'd say about 8, so the extension he signed isn't like some kind of huge aberration.

Dunking on everybody in the park Gregsguys's Avatar

I like it, maybe a little high right now but with anymore development its worth it.

Also, either Bosh is staying or leaving after this year:
    1) With Bosh it gives a decent starting 5, room to work on the rest
    2) Without Bosh (probably the case) it gives them a base on which to build with the extra dough they have. Calderon, Rozan, Hedo, _______, Bargnani plus next years draft pick and one or two FA's. At least there is talent if Bosh leaves.

If Bosh re-signs that is certainly going to be alot for two frontcourt players.

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    If Bosh re-signs that is certainly going to be alot for two frontcourt players.
    What are you talking about look at Orlando and a bunch of teams in the league.

Lewis lol Bargnani ftw!

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

If he gets a lot better, which he has shown many signs he can, then it's a heck of a bargain.

If he gets even just a little better, then it's the right number.

If he stays the same, then it's over paid by 1-1.5M.

What's the big deal? If you follow the salaries for guys at this position even just a little bit, how does this number not make sense?

Dunking on everybody in the park Gregsguys's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Molson
    What's the big deal? If you follow the salaries for guys at this position even just a little bit, how does this number not make sense?
    It doesn't make sense if you are a fan of an opposing team who just roped him in at $10 Million per year.

Okay...

I'm going to throw this question out there... and I want people to answer as honestly as possible (especially Raptors fans). Please, be very honest:

What are the chances Bargnani would have been worth more than a $10M/yr. contract after next season?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

THAT is why this is overpaying. What exactly was the rush? He was going to be a restricted free agent anyway, it's unlikely anyone would have paid him more than $10M per year even if he came out with a consistent 19/6 campaign.

Rather than keep options open for 2010, they commit to a mediocre squad.

Banned

The Raptor's GM needs to be fired.

10mil a season? Are you ****ing kidding me? Is this some kind of ****ing typo?