Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Colorado legalizes recreational marijuana

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    I mean... why not make it the same as alcohol?

Can only be sold in specific stores that have a license (like alcohol).

Have to be 21 to purchase (like alcohol).

You can currently get a DWI from weed, alcohol, xanax, so there's no change there.

Where can you drink? Usually in private or in sanctioned bars. Same with this, right?

I don't think it's all that complex.
    Yup, pretty much this. From what I understand, in Washington, there will be a year of discussion on how to enact the law, with stores able to apply for a permit to sell it by Dec. 2013. If the new alcohol law passed there last year is any indication, you should be able to legally buy weed in the summer of 2014.

BUT I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the governor has to enact the people-not-going-to-jail-for-posession part of the law within the next 30 days.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    I'd say it can be indirectly not good for you physically depending on the person. Makes alot of people lazy and get the munchies.

I'm not particularly bothered by laziness or the munchies. It's just that the human lung is not designed to ingest smoke of any kind really. In moderation it's not the end of the world, like most things.

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

i really don't understand how they can prove you're high when you're driving it's not like they can give you a breathalyzer for weed. yeah they can drug test you but marijuana stays in your system for so long they can't prove you are high at a certain time.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Niytrus's Avatar

I live in WA and was hoping this would not pass... the law needs to be reformed. As it stands now, driving while under the influence is a felony. From what I understand, you could have smoked two or more days earlier and still be considered under the influence... the way they determine that with blood testing needs to be dramatically changed.

Superstar

People need to actually go read the initiative. Its not really legal, the federal government still considers it illegal. This just allows for stricter DUI laws, this is almost a step backward. An officer can assume you are impaired at any time and give you a blood test and hand you a DUI. There was public backlash over this last year in colorado when a bunch of medical marijuana users were getting DUIs like nothing just because they have THC remains in their blood.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by DFish
    On blunts.
    What? Who overdoses on a blunt?

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I'm not particularly bothered by laziness or the munchies. It's just that the human lung is not designed to ingest smoke of any kind really. In moderation it's not the end of the world, like most things.
    Oh yes, that is true.

National High School Star

Pot kills brain cells.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Loneshot
    Whenever i smoke i become a lot more aware of time and feel the need not to waste it.
    Well I feel the same way to an extent, but its not like I'm going to go work out. When I think of not wasting my high, I'm thinking of watching a good movie or TV show.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Niytrus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hotsizzle
    People need to actually go read the initiative. Its not really legal, the federal government still considers it illegal. This just allows for stricter DUI laws, this is almost a step backward. An officer can assume you are impaired at any time and give you a blood test and hand you a DUI. There was public backlash over this last year in colorado when a bunch of medical marijuana users were getting DUIs like nothing just because they have THC remains in their blood.
    Well said, completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Styles p
    i really don't understand how they can prove you're high when you're driving it's not like they can give you a breathalyzer for weed. yeah they can drug test you but marijuana stays in your system for so long they can't prove you are high at a certain time.
    They can't prove if you're on xanax, cocaine, etc, with a simple roadside breathalizer... doesn't mean they can't have probable cause to bring you in and blood test you.
    Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
    Pot kills brain cells.
    So does alcohol.

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

They can't prove if you're on xanax, cocaine, etc, with a simple roadside breathalizer... doesn't mean they can't have probable cause to bring you in and blood test you.

So does alcohol.
    but just because it's in your blood doesn't mean you're currently under the influence.

Quote Originally Posted by Styles p
    but just because it's in your blood doesn't mean you're currently under the influence.
    I'm not sure how they can test levels, but I'm sure they'll come up with something. Doesn't the amount that shows up in the bloodwork fade over time?

Either way, you can get a dwi for it now, so that part really doesn't change much, as far as I can tell.

National High School Star

So does alcohol.
    Link a study.

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
    Link a study.
    Well, here's one refuting the claim that marijuana affects the brain negatively:

However, according to Morgan and Zimmer, in order to achieve these damaging results, doses of up to 200 times the psychoactive dose in humans would have to be given. Even studies in which subjects were given 100 times the human dose failed to cause any structural impairment of the brain. Additionally, in a more recent study of rhesus monkeys by Slikker et. al (1992), in which the monkeys were exposed to the equivalent of 4-5 joints per day through face-mask inhalation for an entire year, seven months later there was no observed change in hippocampal structure, cell size, cell number, or synaptic configuration. As a result of these studies, Morgan and Zimmer concluded that the claim that marijuana causes physiological damage to brain cells is incorrect.
    http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.ed...juanaBrain.htm

And here's one about alcohol:

Not so much. Even in alcoholics, alcohol use doesn't actually result in the death of brain cells. It can, however, damage the ends of neurons, which are called dendrites. This results in problems conveying messages between the neurons. The cell itself isn't damaged, but the way that it communicates with others is altered. According to researchers such as Roberta J. Pentney, professor of anatomy and cell biology at the University at Buffalo, this damage is mostly reversible.
    Alcoholics can develop a neurological disorder called Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome, which can result in a loss of neurons in some parts of the brain. This syndrome also causes memory problems, confusion, paralysis of the eyes, lack of muscle coordination and amnesia. It can lead to death. However, the disorder isn't caused by the alcohol itself. It's the result of a deficiency of thiamine, an essential B vitamin. Not only are severe alcoholics often malnourished, extreme alcohol consumption can interfere with the body's absorption of thiamine.
    So while alcohol doesn't actually kill brain cells, it can still damage your brain if you drink in mass quantities.
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/huma...ain-myths9.htm

Neither one technically "kills brain cells" but alcohol has many more negative health impacts than marijuana.