Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Bucks fan

Default Dallas = Most boring city in US

I spent a few days in Dallas this week, and what a boring town! By the time I got done with my bidness each day (5pm), everything was closed. All the museums, the aquarium, the zoo, anything I could think of all closed at 5. Even most of the restaurants (wtf!). There were no Mavs games in town, and no performances by the Symphony. I've been in a lot of cities around the country, and Dallas easily has the least interesting downtown I've ever seen.

-primetime-
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Dallas = Most boring city in US

do you have a night life?

id so lower greenville and deep elum are anything but boring...Dallas has some of the best looking women in the country

to me, musiems, aquariums, symphonies, ect. are boring no matter what city you are in....

by the way, have you ever been to Oklahoma City?....Kansas, Nebraska, Mississippi, the Carolinas, or any city other than LA, New York, or Las Vegas?
    Last edited by -primetime-; 04-13-2007 at 05:56 PM.

Bucks fan

Quote Originally Posted by -primetime-
    to me, musiems, aquariums, symphonies, ect. are boring no matter what city you are in....
    I'm putting the over/under on your age at 16.
    by the way, have you ever been to Oklahoma City?....Kansas, Nebraska, Mississippi, the Carolinas, or any city other than LA, New York, or Las Vegas?
    Never been to the boring cities you listed, but I bet some of them have restaurants open past 5pm.

The Only Way

Quote Originally Posted by adamcz
    I spent a few days in Dallas this week, and what a boring town! By the time I got done with my bidness each day (5pm), everything was closed. All the museums, the aquarium, the zoo, anything I could think of all closed at 5. Even most of the restaurants (wtf!). There were no Mavs games in town, and no performances by the Symphony. I've been in a lot of cities around the country, and Dallas easily has the least interesting downtown I've ever seen.
    Mark Cuban is trying to change that. Did you go to the town square deal outside of American Airlines center? That place is VERY VERY nice.

Dallas has been a victim or "white flight" and lose a lot of money from taxes and such but they are trying to change that.

Local High School Star Silent Mav's Avatar

Adam, I can possibly see the museums, aquarium and zoo shutting down at 5. The aquarium is usually held open for private parties and dinners after 5. They symphony would be in your time frame, but it seems to be spotty with their concerts. But there are many quality restaurants open well past that no matter what area of town you are in. I wish you would've said you were coming. I would've been glad to recommend some places. And meet you for a beer or two and some basketball talk.

Bucks fan

I didn't have a laptop on me for internet access - if I did, I would have asked you guys what to do. Usually when I go to a city, I don't need to plan ahead. Just look up what's going on when you get there and go do it.
    But there are many quality restaurants open well past that no matter what area of town you are in.
    I really couldn't find them downtown. I was staying near the museum. I guess I should have checked out the area by the AA Center, but since there were no Mavs games, I didn't think anything would be going on there.

you don't go downtown for nightlife in Dallas. its changing but right now you have to go to different areas where the clubs and bars are.

What hotel did you stay at? The concierge must have really sucked ass if he/she couldn't tell you any places to go. Places I go stay open till 1 and 2 am in Dallas.

Local High School Star LiL Stevie's Avatar

Yeah downtown Dallas isn't all that great if you're looking for entertainment. West-End used to be cool but they closed most of that stuff down.

Dunking on everybody in the park

What I want to know is, what restaurant did you go to that was closed at 5?

I can agree that downtown can be boring if you don't know where to go, but have you ever been to Baltimore, Houston, Cleveland, or Cincinnati? Talk about blah.
    Last edited by BigAl; 04-15-2007 at 04:00 AM.

Saw a basketball once

I tell you dallas has restaurants galore. What happened to that guy? I know most of the downtown restaurants stay open well into the night, but many of them require reservations. Many of them are in hotels as well. So downtown may not be the best place to look for walk-in style places. Like one other said if you leave the downtown area, there are an abundance of restaurants around the entire metroplex. I like the dallas downtown area...it is a jewell to look at, but it can't compared to NY or chicago...ect. I tell you what though......this downtown phoenix is pretty boring. For a top 10 city...the skyline and downtown area is pretty horrid. At least downtown dallas has my favorite restaurant.

If you just kept yourself around the downtown area then you probably didn't have fun. You should of had someone that knows the city and hot spots to show you around.

And where are you from?

Bucks fan

I'm from Boston and NY.

I do understand that not every restaurant in a 20 mile radius shuts down early; just found it weird that any of them do.

Are the museums meant just for people who don't have jobs? I don't understand how a museum can shut down at the same time everyone gets off of work. The museums in Boston and NY are intended for everyone; even people who have jobs.

Local High School Star Silent Mav's Avatar

Did a little checking and the there are two Museums of Art that are open till 8 and 9 on Thursdays. And a museum of science that is open till 9 every day. Granted that is only one day, but it does offer a time for the working man to go. And I think Dallas has a long way to go before it can be compared to museums in NY and Boston. Just about most cities can't compare to them for that matter.

Dallas isn't NY and will never be. I don't want Dallas to become an NY. That city is overcrowded, expensive, and dirty. I like the balance we have.

But the Museum of Art is open till Midnight http://dallasmuseumofart.org/Dallas_..._Art/index.htm

The Museum of Nature and Science is open till 9
    http://www.10best.com/Dallas/Sights_...usinessID=2702

Dunn & Brown Art (open till 8)
    http://www.dunnandbrown.com/

Dallas Symphony shows start at 8
    ttp://dallassymphony.com'

And there are plenty of restaurants that are open well after 6, you just have to look for them.

Try researching for stuff to do in an unfamiliar city before coming.

God

Dallas = Most boring city in US
    You've obviously never been to Chicago on a weekend.