Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Phoenix Suns Forum

Phoenix Suns Forum Phoenix Suns forum - Phoenix Suns message board

Old 07-17-2009, 01:28 AM   #1
DirtBag
Hero's Herald

Default Clark posts double double in loss

Quote:
First-round draft pick Earl Clark posted 13 points and 12 rebounds in his pro debut Wednesday, but it was spoiled by a 74-73 loss to Toronto in NBA Summer League play.

Clark started at power forward and hit 5 of 12 shots after missing Monday's game with back spasms. He took jumpers, drew driving fouls, made five turnovers and guarded various positions.

After yielding a 7-0 run, the Suns had a shot to win but Goran Dragic's scoop was blocked at the buzzer.

Dragic had seven assists but is 2 for 13 shooting in two games. Robin Lopez, after 24 points and 16 rebounds Monday, tallied 11 points and three boards. Alando Tucker did not dress.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns...update-CR.html

Quote:
The man known as EC5 in Louisville looked good as EC55 with Phoenix.

Clark sported No. 55 in his NBA Summer League debut (No. 5 is untouchable for Dick Van Arsdale's honor) and wore it well. The Suns' first-round draft pick posted 13 points and 12 rebounds but was just as impressive in showing what he can potentially do for Phoenix as a passer, ball-handler and defender.

Clark was ready to make an instant impression, showing no lingering problems from the back spasms that kept him out of Monday's game. On the game's first shot, Clark (playing power forward) manhandled Ekene Ibekwe on a box-out and dribbled upcourt after the rebound like Boris Diaw once had the freedom to do for the Suns.

Moments later, Clark caught the ball at the top of the key offensively and acted as if he was rising for a shot when he fired a bullet inside to Robin Lopez. Not ready for that pass from Clark yet, Lopez couldn't handle it so one of Clark's five turnovers was not deserved.

Clark showed his hustle, chasing a Raptors fastbreak to cause a layup miss and scoreless trip. He tried to help on defense, going for weak-side blocks or trying to strip nearby penetrators.

Offensively, he showed no hesitancy in firing from the perimeter and made some. He showed he can drive with either hand, drawing fouls on the move. He was sloppy too, as you would expect from a rookie. He got the ball picked at half-court on the dribble and threw an inbound into the backcourt when it was not permitted.

He played a cleaner second half , although he drove into the lane and double-clutched into a tougher shot, something that looks like a trend after seeing some informal play in Phoenix. Late in the fourth, he was unsure on a drive and passed to nobody and then missed two shots (a 3-pointer on the line and a lefthanded drive). He did give the Suns a chance to win with his defense. Toronto led by one with the ball when Clark was on DeMar DeRozan, who came to the top to take the ball. He drove right on Clark but the 6-foot-11 forward slid with him perfectly stride for stride until DeRozan had to give it up and the Raptors missed.

That brings us to Goran Dragic, who was better Wednesday but not much. To his credit, Dragic was aggressive when he got the ball with seven seconds and the Suns trailing by a point. Dragic dribbled fast upcourt, split two Raptors and tried a scoop shot that never had a chance with Ibekwe swatting it away. What Dragic never saw was Clark and Josh Carter left open on the right side by the Raptors crashing on Dragic. But time was of the essence perhaps.

Dragic is 2 of 13 shooting in two games. But even after a nice debut, Zabian Dowdell went 3 for 12 in the second game. Dowdell has a shot at being in October camp, especially because the Suns know a lot about him from his Italian League coach, Marco Crespi, a former Suns international scout.

Dragic had seven assists Wednesday and has an apparent chemistry with Lopez, finding him in the two-man game and twice making a swooping reset move that set up his pass to Lopez on the baseline.

On the flip side, Dragic created problems for himself early by dribbling into traffic and losing the ball or getting stripped. He did a better job of splitting the double team quicker as the game went on and he continued to be aggressive defensively. His hustle was good and the next three games might show more of his confidence if Monday's hamstring strain was still a factor.

Lopez was not the same as Monday but Nathan Jawai was not around to help him look like that again. Lopez only had three rebounds but that might have something to do with Clark's presence this time. He showed his improvement with offensive moves, doing a step-through to other side of the basket (he missed) and making a really nice move late that should have sealed the game. Lopez caught the ball on an extended post, squared up, dribbled in and drew a foul when he posted deeper. He made both free throws for a 73-67 lead with 1:41 to go and is now 15 of 18 at the line in two games.

Taylor Griffin hit some jumpers and impressed with a block on a DeRozan jumper but he also made a crucial mistake when the Suns blew a six-point lead in the final two minutes. With Lopez open under the basket, Griffin's pass went right to Patrick O'Bryant's hand. Griffin finished with eight points and four rebounds.

This from coros azcentral blog

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/57901

Last edited by DirtBag : 07-17-2009 at 01:31 AM.
DirtBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
DouXer4ouR
RunAndGunSuns

Default Re: Clark posts double double in loss

I hope Clark becomes a big time player in the NBA, he has the chance, he's very gifted, and I have a feeling we will be hearing his name a lot in the future.
DouXer4ouR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
JellyBean
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouXer4ouR
I hope Clark becomes a big time player in the NBA, he has the chance, he's very gifted, and I have a feeling we will be hearing his name a lot in the future.

I hear ya. I am hoping that all goes well for Clark. This kid has major talent.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
Maniak
Warm Winds

Yeah, Clark is very talented. Im interested to see how the Suns plan to use him.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

I was wondering why he was wearing number 55, now I know why.

Anyway, you guys are going to be happy with Earl. He has got major talent, the only problem is, he can't just turn it on. He gets lost in the pack sometimes and can be happy just loitering round the court. So you're either going to be happy with him or you're going to be screaming at the TV because he isn't doing anything.

He was second favourite player in college last year (along with Blair) so I'll definilty be watching a lot of Suns games this year.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
Maniak
Warm Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
I was wondering why he was wearing number 55, now I know why.

Anyway, you guys are going to be happy with Earl. He has got major talent, the only problem is, he can't just turn it on. He gets lost in the pack sometimes and can be happy just loitering round the court. So you're either going to be happy with him or you're going to be screaming at the TV because he isn't doing anything.

He was second favourite player in college last year (along with Blair) so I'll definilty be watching a lot of Suns games this year.

Enjoy, the bandwagon is always open.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: