Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
    Oh the Bealsanity

Default 2012 Australian Open Discussion

Del Potro looks much skinnier than I remember.

Liking Verdasco's shirt too. It fits his game.

   

Default Re: 2012 Australian Open Discussion

speaking of del potro, it'll be interesting to see how far he goes. now that his wrist's all healed up it seems he's back to having the most feared FH in the game.

also, nice to see fed versus nadal opposite the draw of the djoker. that should be a barn-burner, assuming neither trips up on the way.

Shiet Tomic beat Verdasco

Good start for Federer

Dunking on everybody in the park CardiacKemba's Avatar

Tomic is an arrogant f#*( and I'm beginning to hate him. Should have seen his post match interview

Oh, and I shouldn't be saying this. I'm Australian and he is meant to be the future of our game here.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacKemba
    Tomic is an arrogant f#*( and I'm beginning to hate him. Should have seen his post match interview

Oh, and I shouldn't be saying this. I'm Australian and he is meant to be the future of our game here.
    What did he say that was bad?

I heard the interview and he seemed very grounded and I didn't hear anything arrogant.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I love watching Aussie open matches late at night.

I haven't been following Tennis the past couple months, so I'm not really sure who is hot or not.

Roddick match just started.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic

Tennis players, especially the average ones, have been getting raped for years. I'll never understand why the players recieve only 10-15% of the profits, while the people who organize the event clear 85-90%.

The real issue is that a Tennis players career is short, maybe 10 years. Someone ranked in the 50-100 range their entire career will essentially retire with nothing, and a small pension, unless they manage to make money from endorsements.

I'm sorry, but a top 100 Tennis player in the World shouldn't have to worry about making rent. Average Golf players (PGA tour) make more than double what average Tennis players make, despite the sport being less popular and producing less revenue.

And even though Roger is my fav Tennis player ever, I agree with Nadal. Unless the big names step up, nothing will ever change. The average pro Tennis player doesn't have the leverage to provoke change.

   

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Tennis players, especially the average ones, have been getting raped for years. I'll never understand why the players recieve only 10-15% of the profits, while the people who organize the event clear 85-90%.

The real issue is that a Tennis players career is short, maybe 10 years. Someone ranked in the 50-100 range their entire career will essentially retire with nothing, and a small pension, unless they manage to make money from endorsements.

I'm sorry, but a top 100 Tennis player in the World shouldn't have to worry about making rent. Average Golf players (PGA tour) make more than double what average Tennis players make, despite the sport being less popular and producing less revenue.
    well said.

i'm not totally clear on the back-history and all, but my understanding is that the ATP represents both the players AND the events. a weird arrangement to nobody's real satisfaction, but it definitely seems to swing in favor of the slams.

and i'm not even sure if the average pro even manages ten years. they don't generally start making money until their late teens (or later), and by the time they're in their mid-twenties, their careers are winding down... probably because of the prolonged pounding on their knees and all the little tears and injuries accumulated from playing the modern power game. so, barring the outliers, we may only be talking 6-7 years of trying to make hay.

High School Varsity 6th Man entropy35's Avatar

Hopefully my man gasquet does well this tournament.

Oh the Bealsanity

Not a great day for Americans so far; Fish and Young are out with Isner on the ropes. Hopefully he can pull it out, Nalby is a tough out no matter his rank.

   

s'all good. americans weren't going anywhere, anyway.

Oh the Bealsanity

I feel bad for Nalby, he got robbed pretty badly. What an incompetent chair umpire.