Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 08-06-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool
Default Darko Milicic

http://3shadesofblue.blogspot.com/20...o-milicic.html

I know this has been posted, only bringing it back as things have been so silent in here.

Am I the only one here rooting for Darko?

If he could at least return to form when he was in Orlando then I'd be really happy for him. With the arrival of Mayo, we now have a legit option beside Rudy.

Most teams, when handicapped with scorers, would rather slow down the game to a crawl and limit the possessions, not the Grizzlies though. We sped up the game so we can open up opportunities for players who can't creat for themselves.

As good a Mike Miller is, he's not the type where you give the ball at the end of the game to win. That's Rudy. And after Rudy, well there was no one.

Hopefully Mayo can provide that 2nd scorer role and keep opponents defenses honest. We could also slow down the game as we have more weapons and could utilize them other than just running. Darko would definitely benefit from a slower game.

I really wished Darko didn't gain any weight, his game is so different from what it used to be back when he was drafted.

He used to take and make jumpshots. He used to have some pretty nice post moves to set up his left hook. Now he just tries to force it everytime which results to turnovers.

If he could bring back his jumpshot then how would you guys think of starting him and Gasol assuming both him Marc become a useful players? Warrick can be the first big man off the bench and Darko can slide back to C when paired together.
gasolina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:35 AM   #2
berraco
Darko The Ripper

berraco has decent reputationberraco has decent reputation
Default Re: Darko Milicic

That's basically what I would do. The way Darko plays is for me more suited for a PF than for a true C, it is like Pau was, he is forced to play C because there is a need there.

Now, playing Marc + Darko means to have a good halfcourt set of plays AND Rudy understanding the game better. Same for OJ, although he is a rookie and that's given by the experience. Last year there was no true offense methodology in this team, just ballhogging. That has to change if we really want to slow down the game. Iavaroni also needs to improve his performance as head coach. I really can't understand how a guy that was so good coaching bigs can end up underusing them that much. I don't get it. Hopefully that changes this season.

With that said, this roster has some weapons that could provide a lot of versatility to the game of the Grizzlies. We can be weak in the frontcourt, but still we have two 7-footers that provide a lot of inside presence and strength if they play toghether. Then Warrick and Arthur give the athleticism in the 4 spot. If used correctly, this team is better than most of the people think. Obviously, we all would like to unload one of our guards to pick up some help in the frontcourt, but we still have more things that what it looks like at first sight. On the paper, it doesn't look bad. The big question mark is if these players can do it, mainly because all are too young and even with some experience it is always difficult.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:55 AM   #3
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Our problem won't be a lack of talent this season, it will be a lack of confidence in some players and a lack of experience in nearly the entire squad. Hakim Warrick has been with the team the longest of our current team and he has only been with the team for 3 years, so the players aren't greatly familiar with each other, which will show throughout this upcoming season.

I like the way Darko plays, but you can clearly see that he lacks confidence at times, which I atribute to Larry Brown. When Darko regains that confidence, which Iavaroni seems to be pumping in to him, then I think we will see a better Darko.

I also don't think that it's Iavaroni who is underusing Darko and it's moreso overusing other players. Again, it goes back to trust and confidence in your team mates, which this team is sort of lacking at the moment. When Darko starts showing that he can play in the post and can make smart decisions, then I feel the rest of the team will gain confidence in him and he will start to get used a lot more.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:10 AM   #4
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
I also don't think that it's Iavaroni who is underusing Darko and it's moreso overusing other players. Again, it goes back to trust and confidence in your team mates, which this team is sort of lacking at the moment. When Darko starts showing that he can play in the post and can make smart decisions, then I feel the rest of the team will gain confidence in him and he will start to get used a lot more.

I was referring to last season when the guards where chucking 3's whit our bigs having open looks. That's something the coach has to see and stop. There were not plays called for the bigs, Pau complained about that in the beginning and said he was trying to adjuts asap. That is what I meant by saying Iavaroni was underusing the bigs.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:28 AM   #5
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I agree, but I also feel that other players are lacking confidence in giving the ball to Darko, as Darko lacks confidence in himself. If Darko can improve and gain that confidence, Iavaroni will start calling more plays for him, and the rest of the team will also feel confident in giving him the ball.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:56 AM   #6
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool

I agree with both of you. As bad as Darko is, he has a go-to move. His left hook which is unblockable. Not too many big guys have go-to moves now. If he can just do that move day in and day out and not injure his left thumb again then I think he'll be okay for next season.

I was really surprised at how bad his shooting numbers were this season. Hopefully he goes back to shooting 51%.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:11 AM   #7
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

I love his left hook when he takes his time to set his feet, read the defense and then make the right decision, by either stepping in to the paint or turning to the baseline. Though it seemed that he rushed it way too much throughout last season. If he can compose himself when he gets the ball then his should shooting percentage should go up.

I also think he should add a couple of more moves to his repertoire, it's great that he has a go to move, but he shouldn't over use it and become too predictable. At times he does show that he is very capable of doing so, but he just isn't consistent and the good thing is, is that Darko is fully aware that he needs to become consistent.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:17 AM   #8
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

I saw some highlights of Darko last night on youtube and you could say that he's still pretty athletic. He's also shown some range when he hit a 3 pointer and some long jumpers.

Hopefully he brings that to table this season as the Grizz only true post option.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:26 PM   #9
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasolina
Hopefully he brings that to table this season as the Grizz only true post option.

I think Marc will be a legit option in the post after a few games of adjustment. Thankfully, Darko is not alone.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #10
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far

ur problem this season wont be lack of talent or a lack of confidence. It will be lack of expierence. Nobody on the team has really any idea of what it takes to win.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #11
Grizzled Mayo
I brick open layups

Grizzled Mayo has an OK reputation so far

Man if darko hasnt learned how to play the game by now then that man will never learn
Grizzled Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:08 PM   #12
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I remember back when Darko was drafted how people were saying the Cavaliers could actually pick him #1 over Lebron because he was so good. I think Cleveland made the right choice Detroit had too many good big men when they drafted him so he didn't really get to develop. Sheed always used to say how good he was and stuck up for him a lot. There were a lot of people who thought he was good but this could have been something to keep his trade value high. He is not the next coming of Dirk. He's been given opportunities and he doesn't seem like he will be anything more than a 10 ppg 5-6 rpg type of guy at best.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #13
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far

mean I know that it takes big men longer to develop. Like 3-5 years. But I dont think darko is gonna get any better.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: