Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #31
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba
 
rufuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 20,110
rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Who here understand paintings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by halffttime
those were sick.. i had a space jam one like that when i was a kid.. the trick is to start with the picture right at your nose, stare hard at the center, and slowly bring it out.. works everytime

Also helps if you did a lot of shrooms in college.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #32
HisAirness
Reno's Finest
 
HisAirness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: WV
Posts: 685
HisAirness has decent reputationHisAirness has decent reputation
Default Re: Who here understand paintings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
So I understand that with some paintings it tells a story blah blah blah. Don't really see it, but I guess I can understand it. By the way, doesn't anyone feel like perhaps they can make that Van Gogh painting with a little training? I really don't see the genius. It's a painting of a guy...well he used brave colors...if he had used less color the artsy people would've said it showed his repressed emotion or some BS. No offense but that is how I (and perhaps other non-art people) see it.

But now here see this:



I'm not saying my little sister can make a better one in her fingerpainting class but god damn it I can't tell the difference. What are we really suppose to see here? Brave colors? Objects?

If any human being tell me they see something here I would feel that they are making up some BS. This is probably how non-art people feel. So art-people, do enlighten us.

I'll agree with you on Jackson Pollack. He pisses me off, much like John Cage and Arnold Schonburg.

But, paintings like daVinci's really need no explanation as to why they are so highly valued.
HisAirness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #33
craigthomasb
College star
 
craigthomasb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,845
craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Who here understand paintings?

i like goddard paintins with the olives and ****

like this




and the ones with the fat waiters by the bloke who designed he perrier jouet champange bottles but i cant remember who he is
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #34
iamgine
...
 
iamgine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10,955
iamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Who here understand paintings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
i don't know, i'm not a big pollack fan.
but i thought some of the scholars above had answered about him. or maybe i'm hallucinating.

one quick reaction about pollack is that he probably followed in dada-ist and pop art footsteps, pushing the boundaries of both. remember that art is also about pushing all rational boundaries of what the viewer can possibly appreciate, and people like pollack can thrive in that niche.

a piece of dogcrap mounted on a square of cardboard may be too much for even the most diehard art fan to appreciate, but a piece of dogcrap mounted on a square of cardboard that has been arranged in an unusual way might be just enough to teeter provocatively on the edge between 'art' and 'garbage', and that's what some artists aim for. the fact that some artists take enormous risks is highly appreciated by some folks.
Maybe I'll never understand paintings. I once went to the museum of art in New York and some of the paintings really boggles many people on what is so good about it.

The other guy say this btw:

Quote:
Pollock also explores the idea of art that is about art, but in a different way. His is directly linked to the idea of the index, or the tangible record of the contact between the artist and the canvas. However, much more than simply painting pictures with a visible brushstroke, Pollock makes the subject of his paintings the act of painting itself (and thus he is called the father of action painting). Ignoring the subtle rhythmic interplay between lines and colors, or his challenging the limits and boundaries of the canvas (something that you could go on about forever), the real crux of Pollock's work, and perhaps the reason why it sells for so much, becomes the visible record of his movements. His paintings are thus a footprint (or perhaps more accurately, a handprint); its his own version of Hollywood stars memorializing their handprints in cement.

To me this basically means Pollack can make absolutely anything and it will still sell for high price. What I really want to know is, what is the rationale of calling it great painting? Is it because of the painter?
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:28 PM   #35
D-Shark
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Who here understand paintings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
Do a search on google for Iman Maleki.





just a couple of examples, but there are loads more...
I have never heard of this guy and I just looked at his web site. From the looks of these paintings and many of it others it seems very clear to me that he is using a projector to cast a photo that he has taken over a canvas and then painting on top of it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:46 AM   #36
-primetime-
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Who here understand paintings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoiko
yeah the one in the middle is a pollock.

and of course the high prices of these paintings are not because of their breathtaking beauty, but because of a lot of other factors. an important one being the painter's place in art history.

cezanne (who did the one with the fruit) is considered the bridge between impressionism and cubism, and is therefore kind of a big deal. pollock invented action painting, and that's why he's a big deal. van gogh (who did the portrait of the guy) has this crazy lifestory, how he was poor and went crazy and cut his ear off and then died, never selling a painting in his lifetime. people eat that stuff up.

in a sense, you could make a comparison to popular music. imagine if you were someone who knew barely anything about it. then, you listen to a beatles song and someone tells you that they are considered the greatest band of all time. but, you'll say: "how can they be? i know a woman in my church who can sing a lot better than them! i once heard a guitar solo somewhere from a guy who could play the guitar a lot faster and harder than them! there's no way they're the GOAT band!"

for van gogh, the same analogy could be made with a band like the velvet underground or something.

and of course, owning a painting by one of those artists is a way of showing off that you both have money and sophistication.
as far as these go I think that is pretty much the entire reason for the price minus maybe age...

It is similiar to sports memoribila only on a much more world wide scale...

In all honesty I am suprised that those are for sale at all, alot of art like these are considered pricless and owned by musiums...

I have seen simple scetches by picaso on sale for thousands and they were just quick pencil scetches that he threw together real quick on newsprint...

It is history...and a sign of artistic views changing...

Today's art can sale for alot but it is still considered an investment by some in hopes that the artist will gain fame and the value of his paintings will sky rocket....
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:59 AM   #37
lilmarcgasol
Banned
 
lilmarcgasol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Camberwell, LONDON
Posts: 2,088
lilmarcgasol is popular on this boardlilmarcgasol is popular on this boardlilmarcgasol is popular on this boardlilmarcgasol is popular on this board
Default Re: Who here understand paintings?

its because the guys who made them are famous geniuses, but those are not major works.

The art market started getting over inflated in the 80s when rich business guys wanted new things to invest in.

The market is ridiculous now, with minor Gustav Klimpt paintings selling for $80 million. However it's hopefully crashing soon.


That work is only worth that much because the rich people who bid on it make it worth that much.

That's what they teach us in art school atleast.

You want to see real bullshit in the art market? Look at Damien Hirst. He has giant spin art paintings that he doesn't even do himself, he has assistants do them, and sells them for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Damien Hirst is a product of the art market and doesn't have great artistic talent, he just produces ALOT of work, so investors decided to pay exhorbant prices for his work, because they could buy alot of it.

Wait ok let me explain.

Let's say they already have 10 of Damien Hirst's crappy spin art paintings that take two seconds to do. Then in an auction you bid for his latest painting and pay like $5 million for it. Now all 10 works you own by Damien Hirst greatly raise in value as well.

That is the state of the art market today. Talented artists who work slowly don't do well at all compared to untalented artists who create alot of work.


It's called Beautiful revolving sphincter, oops brown painting by Damien Hirst and sold for like $1.8 million, the art market today is a joke, however to me I understand why Van Gogh and Cezanne are selling for so much money even though in my opinion it's still way too much

Last edited by lilmarcgasol : 03-12-2009 at 06:17 AM.
lilmarcgasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:06 AM   #38
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name
 
MarloStanfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,607
MarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Who here understand paintings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmarcgasol
its because the guys who made them are famous geniuses, but those are not major works.

The art market started getting over inflated in the 80s when rich business guys wanted new things to invest in.

The market is ridiculous now, with minor Gustav Klimpt paintings selling for $80 million. However it's hopefully crashing soon.


That work is only worth that much because the rich people who bid on it make it worth that much.

That's what they teach us in art school atleast.

You want to see real bullshit in the art market? He has giant spin art paintings that he doesn't even do himself, he has assistants do them, and sells them for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Damien Hirst is a product of the art market and doesn't have great artistic talent, he just produces ALOT of work, so investors decided to pay exhorbant prices for his work, because they could buy alot of it.

Wait ok let me explain.

Let's say they already have 10 of Damien Hirst's crappy spin art paintings that take two seconds to do. Then in an auction you bid for his latest painting and pay like $5 million for it. Now all 10 works you own by Damien Hirst greatly raise in value as well.

That is the state of the art market today. Talented artists who work slowly don't do well at all compared to untalented artists who create alot of work.
Most informative post in this thread.
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:16 AM   #39
lilmarcgasol
Banned
 
lilmarcgasol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Camberwell, LONDON
Posts: 2,088
lilmarcgasol is popular on this boardlilmarcgasol is popular on this boardlilmarcgasol is popular on this boardlilmarcgasol is popular on this board
Default Re: Who here understand paintings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
the painting above is a typical example of how van gogh blended elements of the childlike with the skill of a master. any child or fool could have made the individual simple brushstrokes, but putting them all together as a whole required a genius such as his.

in that painting you can see motion and stillness, the crude and the refined, the placid and the despairing, the harmonious and the tense, colors fighting against each other and colors in conflict. it takes a master to represent all these things at the same time, and to those of you who think that guys like van gogh had very little skill as a representational artist, you are wrong - when he was in his teens he had already mastered the making of photorealistic copies of his source. then he moved on to things more challenging to the viewer, because that is a big part of what every great piece of art does - it challenges you to either react like a hopeless sheep or to grasp the many levels of complexity or profundity the artist has put there for you.

in the end, great art is not about money, class, the artist's reputation, standing, importance or anything else. it's about something more vital than any of that stuff.
Why are you talking out of your ass?

Van Gogh didn't become an artist until he was 30! He used to be a preacher before that but was forced to quit because he was insane and too devoted to living a life of poverty, nearly starving himself, and then all of a sudden he just decided to become an artist and Theo started giving him money to buy paints and attend classes in Paris.

He could never draw photorealistically, and quite frankly the first 8 years of his artistic career, the work is quite ugly and bad. However he worked his ass off, every day creating one of two paintings and tons of drawings, and it payed off.
This is the most well known, and frequently cited as his best work from his early style

in other words from the age of 30-38 he used to, well not suck balls but just he was a pretty bad painter.

The final two years of his life, he discovered his mature style, the style you love so much and the world knows him for.

Van Gogh is a great story because he wasn't born with a huge amount of talent, infact he had very little talent at all, he is all hard work, and thoguh it was 10 years of constant hard work every day it eventually payed off for him and then the stress was just too much for him and he killed himself, but not before creating some of the most beautiful paintings in modern Western art.

Just why are you talking out of your ass about Van Gogh being able to draw photorealistically since he was a teen?

Gives people like me, with little natural talent, hope and inspiration :)

Last edited by lilmarcgasol : 03-12-2009 at 06:21 AM.
lilmarcgasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #40
vincentvangogh
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
vincentvangogh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 27
vincentvangogh has decent reputation
Default Re: Who here understand paintings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmarcgasol
Why are you talking out of your ass?

Van Gogh didn't become an artist until he was 30! He used to be a preacher before that but was forced to quit because he was insane and too devoted to living a life of poverty, nearly starving himself, and then all of a sudden he just decided to become an artist and Theo started giving him money to buy paints and attend classes in Paris.

He could never draw photorealistically, and quite frankly the first 8 years of his artistic career, the work is quite ugly and bad.

Dearest Theo:

The words of the townspeople cut like knives! I fear I may take my own life before dawn.

Perhaps not; For even in death, I fear that the arduous jabs will never truly subside, and it is better to endure them with you to keep me company, dearest brother, than to endure them in eternal isolation.

I shall write more soon, but for now I must paint. Photorealistically. Whatsoever that may mean.
vincentvangogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:08 AM   #41
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba
 
rufuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 20,110
rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Who here understand paintings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogh
Dearest Theo:

The words of the townspeople cut like knives! I fear I may take my own life before dawn.

Perhaps not; For even in death, I fear that the arduous jabs will never truly subside, and it is better to endure them with you to keep me company, dearest brother, than to endure them in eternal isolation.

I shall write more soon, but for now I must paint. Photorealistically. Whatsoever that may mean.

rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:38 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy