Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 01-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Arrow Anyone find the "best conference" arguments pointless?

I'm going to get right to the point. After the ACC killed the Big 10 in the annual Challenge, and because the ACC is #1 in the RPI and the Big 10 is #6, it is easy to conclude that the ACC is better. However, I feel this is a pointless argument for this reason:

Only the top 3 teams in a conference AT MOST have a realistic shot at winning it all. Now look at the top three teams in each conference and here's how I'd rank their chances of winning the whole thing.

1. NC
2. MSU
3. Indiana
4. Duke
5. Wisconsin

6. Clemson

In my mind the Big 10 has a much better shot at sending multiple teams in the elite 8 than the ACC. Now of course the ACC is better from top to bottom, but why does that really matter? People remember titles and long tournament runs. Remember when MSU got to the final four a few years ago? People trashed the Big 10 that year to, but it just so happened MSU and Illinois made it to the final four and Wisconsin lossed in the elite 8 to NC in a game they almost won. What conference really was more successful? And yes I realize NC won it all, which kind of weakens that example, but that was just one team, not 3 in the elite 8. ACC was considered better that year like every year though (MSU beat Duke in the sweet 16 that season).

So my basic point is I'll take 3 teams with a legit shot at the elite 8 over 2 and one long shot.....and can anyone even imagine a Paulus led Duke team having a shot anyways?
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
PK3434
Good Golly!

Default Re: Anyone find the "best conference" arguments pointless?

You are right that the best conference arguments end up being pointless, but they are still pretty fun. For example, Rutgers has absolutely no shot at even making the tournament and probably won't even make the Big East tournament, but they are good enough to win 2 games in a row against highly ranked opponents in their conference...That shows how good, or at least, how tough the Big East is.

And yes, you are right: Duke has no shot with Paulus as their PG
PK3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:30 PM   #3
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Under my criteria, this is my conference rankings:

1. Pac- 10
2. Big East (just behind Pac-10)
3. Big 12
4. Big 10
5. ACC
6. SEC
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

I have always found it pointless.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: