Page 43 of 91 FirstFirst ... 334041424344454653 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2011/12 Observation Deck

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    they are clearly talented, but i just cant 'trust' them yet. they arent very experienced.

anthony jones and quincy acy are their only really good upperclassmen, guys who have played meaningful minutes in meaningful games come march. and jones has always seemed pretty soft to me. so acy is the only guy i know for sure, in a tough game, he'll show up. im not sayin perry jones, miller, heaslip or any of their other guys are soft or anything like that, but they have yet to prove otherwise. ill wait to see them play some really tough teams before getting a good judge on them. great talent level though, and this year is shaping up a lot better than last year.

id trust them a lot more this past season, if they werent such a mess last year.
    baylor has very unreliable guard play. That will be there downfall. They often don't play smart basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    they are clearly talented, but i just cant 'trust' them yet. they arent very experienced.

anthony jones and quincy acy are their only really good upperclassmen, guys who have played meaningful minutes in meaningful games come march. and jones has always seemed pretty soft to me. so acy is the only guy i know for sure, in a tough game, he'll show up. im not sayin perry jones, miller, heaslip or any of their other guys are soft or anything like that, but they have yet to prove otherwise. ill wait to see them play some really tough teams before getting a good judge on them. great talent level though, and this year is shaping up a lot better than last year.

id trust them a lot more this past season, if they werent such a mess last year.
    Agreed. They've had a lot of talent for the last several years under Drew but the best they've done is the Elite Eight two years ago. Granted, the UNC fan in me felt they got screwed by the officials in the game, but that's a different story.

Outside of that one Elite Eight run they've largely been a disappointment by the end of the season. Drew seems to be a great recruiter (I swear he's go to be committing some sort of recruiting violations) but not much of a coach.

Sixers|Eagles|Phillies StateProperty's Avatar

Can somebody tell me where I know Ray McCallum's name from? St. John's vs. Detroit-Mercy on ESPN2 tomorrow and McCaullum is the coach while his son (Jr.) plays on the team.

Seems like I remember his name from 'A Season on the Brink' but I can't remember exactly why?

Banned

Once again Zags' fans (including me) have high expectations, but will the team do it this year and get to the Sweet Sixteen and over that hump, or will history repeat itself and see them flame out again? I freakin' hope so. They're talked about every year by every professional talking-head, but they seem to be stuck in the 1st or 2nd round NCAA-tourney slums.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Agreed. They've had a lot of talent for the last several years under Drew but the best they've done is the Elite Eight two years ago. Granted, the UNC fan in me felt they got screwed by the officials in the game, but that's a different story.

Outside of that one Elite Eight run they've largely been a disappointment by the end of the season. Drew seems to be a great recruiter (I swear he's go to be committing some sort of recruiting violations) but not much of a coach.
    and that was the last year they had tweety carter. they havent had a reliable, 'set up the offense' kinda pg since then. maybe walton or pierre jackson turns out to be that guy. i hope they do well this year, i really like a lot of their guys.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StateProperty
    Can somebody tell me where I know Ray McCallum's name from? St. John's vs. Detroit-Mercy on ESPN2 tomorrow and McCaullum is the coach while his son (Jr.) plays on the team.

Seems like I remember his name from 'A Season on the Brink' but I can't remember exactly why?
    He coached Ball State in the Bonzi Wells years. Followed Kelvin Sampson around from Oklahoma to IU for a bit.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Harvard's ranked for the first time in school history. Which is a pretty long history.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Harvard's ranked for the first time in school history. Which is a pretty long history.
    I think they might be the only school whose basketball history predates James Naismith's actual invention of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Does your package get the VS. network? I've got the sports package through Dish Network and don't get VS. and it kinda pisses me off. There's been a few UConn games on VS. that I wanted to watch but couldn't.

I think Baylor is about the only team in the country that can rival UNC and Kentucky in length and athleticism.
    Nope, I don't get VS either. I didn't even realize I had Big 10 Network and a few other conference channels until a week ago.

Sixers|Eagles|Phillies StateProperty's Avatar

st. johns sucks

Blu Ray

I just realized who Nerlins Noel [sp?] is. I played against him ALL the time when he was in like 6th grade or whatever. He was taller than me even back then and was a block machine. He was big enough to run with the 20 year olds and he was almost a decade younger than us.

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

Paul Hewitt has very quickly turned George Mason into a god awful team. Please come back to Mason Larranaga. PLEASE.

Looking forward to this Washington-Marquette game about to tip off.

First time I'm getting to see either Marquette or Washington. I missed the first half but Marquette did catch my attention with their win over Wisconsin.

Grinder, have you seen St. Louis play this year? I had heard about their impressive wins over Villanova and Washington (and I think Oklahoma?) but wondering if they're legit.

That dunk by Kluwe...holy sh*t.