Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park Breezy's Avatar

Default Is there any stereotype that's not true?

I'm not the first person to point this out but stereotypes exist for a reason, otherwise they wouldn't stick. Just try to float it out there that Black guys have small junk and suck at sports, or that Asians are bad a math. Or on and on and on.

The only one I can think of is that Redheads have 'Firey' personalities. I think that's just a lazy and erroneous connection between red and fire.

Default Re: Is there any stereotype that's not true?

I'm not comfortable with the word "true". To me it implies that stereotypes are absolute, which is obviously not the case.

Are stereotypes "accurate"? To some degree, many are. For example...

Are Dutch people tall? Yes, that is largely accurate. Of course, it's not an absolute.

Do Americans like football? Yes. In general that is accurate.

Do Canadians like hockey. Yes. Again, not an absolute. Many Canadians don't like hockey, but clearly it is very popular amongst Canadians.

Oops. I misread. I thought it said "are there any stereotypes that are true". My bad.

exercise profits littl MadeFromDust's Avatar

Yes.

Stereotypes are a form of generalization, which is the lowest level of thinking. The educational system conditions students to think this way (why do you think you do classification, outlines, grouping, and multiple choice questions, etc.?), so truth is found based on the whole, which is fallacious in nature.

The highest truths are in the concrete. It is a flawed perspective, hence why racist and dumb people ride stereotypes as their only form of intellect.

Dunking on everybody in the park Breezy's Avatar

Of course they're not 100%. Otherwise they would just be scientific realities. I don't even think they need to be over 50%. For instance much less than 50% of Muslims will commit a suicide bombing. But since a much higher % of muslims will than any other group, They get the label

I'm About as white as it get's. I look like Dolph Lundgren if he were 4 inches shorter. I regularly golf, Obviously only a small percentage of white people golf but we do so at a higher rate than anyone else. so we get the label. It is what it is. Stereotypes are shortcuts from detailed information. They come from millions of years of evolution. I embrace them.

NOW!!!! are there any that are patently false and do not apply to the group they are assigned?

5-time NBA All-Star

Asians are bad drivers.
    This is flat out false if we're considering every Asian in the mix. If it's just Asian grandma Fobs, then by all means ring it true; but Asians have to be damn good drivers to make it in Malaysia, China, Vietnam, Japans rusty rickedy ass roads and then the entire Asian-American youth generally into the ricer culture and other things that require hand eye cordination.

Blacks hate mayo.
    Most Southern people, black or white, enjoy potato salad and other amenities require Hellman's. If it's not mayo, they obsessed with ranch.

Women are weak and stupid.
    No... they are strong and cunning. In other ways.

Men are unemotional.
    False.

Old people are wise.
    You'd think this would be the case... but pearls of wisdom can come from just about anybody. You never know how quickly people perceive things or transition ito maturity and u never know who's a perpetual peter pan.

Gays are unmanly.
    Obviously tops are very masculine, but I've met some bottoms too who are much more macho than their straight counterparts.. the whole lisp fahsionista hairdresser thing has to come from dudes who have older sisters or something lol

Liberals are openminded.
    Cue starface for this one.

Engineers/Doctors are retarded.
    They're really not dumb. They simply had to use a lot of brainpower to retain material and through hard focus they often times weren't able to garner up the capacity to connect with other humans (engineers) or had to forego nutrition classes (hence why dotors give bad advice)

Polish people are dumb.
    Nope. They're quite sharp.

Italians gesticulate a lot.
    Ok this is true, but so does everybody from the Mediterannean and Latin America lol so why just italy

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    I'm not comfortable with the word "true". To me it implies that stereotypes are absolute, which is obviously not the case.

Are stereotypes "accurate"? To some degree, many are. For example...

Are Dutch people tall? Yes, that is largely accurate. Of course, it's not an absolute.

Do Americans like football? Yes. In general that is accurate.

Do Canadians like hockey. Yes. Again, not an absolute. Many Canadians don't like hockey, but clearly it is very popular amongst Canadians.
    All asians are short.

All black people are criminals.

Both statements are incorrect. Yao Ming is asian. There are many successful black people. A stereotype will always be fallacious in nature and can never be a form of truth despite how dumb you are to think it is.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    Stereotypes are a form of generalization, which is the lowest level of thinking. The educational system conditions students to think this way (why do you think you do classification, outlines, grouping, and multiple choice questions, etc.?), so truth is found based on the whole, which is fallacious in nature.

The highest truths are in the concrete. It is a flawed perspective, hence why racist and dumb people ride stereotypes as their only form of intellect.

thats why you're one of the dumbest, politically correct, m'fers on this forum.

i swear you're dumb as fukk tho, so much dumber than you realize it annoys me tbh

YouGotServed
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Mexicans are lazy. Don't know where that one came from. On the contrary, Mexicans should be stereotyped as being hard working people.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    All asians are short.

All black people are criminals.

Both statements are incorrect. Yao Ming is asian. There are many successful black people. A stereotype will always be fallacious in nature and can never be a form of truth despite how dumb you are to think it is.

this is another reason why you're dumb as fukk tho. nobody said they're absolute, look up generalization, its a 'generalized' POV, not all, just many. you're such a stupid mf'er with such know it all ego

Local High School Star PHX_Phan's Avatar

In my experience, the stereotype that black people don't tip is largely untrue. I've worked a lot of gratuity based jobs and was never stiffed by black people any more than others.

NBA Superstar

u can real sum up generalizations or stereotypes to 'street smarts'. if you think about what makes street smarts its based off of generalizations.

there are people with ZERO street smarts and its rather obvious how clueless they are, or how quickly they'd get mugged walking down a dark alley thinking every situation is equal. but they're dumb as fukk people with very little learned sense....

just some people don't get shit. a lot of people do, even the ones that pretend to be so PC but see things in a stereotypical sense on some levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzuki
    this is another reason why you're dumb as fukk tho. nobody said they're absolute, look up generalization, its a 'generalized' POV, not all, just many. you're such a stupid mf'er with such know it all ego
    A generalization is a faulty conclusion based on a number of instances. For example, you see a sample of such instances and then you conclude it for the entire population.

No matter how you cut it it is a flaw in logic.

Quote Originally Posted by PHX_Phan
    In my experience, the stereotype that black people don't tip is largely untrue. I've worked a lot of gratuity based jobs and was never stiffed by black people any more than others.
    I've never even heard that one.

I never understood the black people like chicken stereotype. It's accurate, but EVERYBODY likes chicken. Why pick them out? It's like saying gingers like sandwiches. Yeah, of course. Who doesn't?