Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 08-03-2018, 04:50 PM   #46
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Default Re: The Dallas Cowboys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
Yeah Ill get at it. I just returned from a 10 day vacation to London. Trying to get my life back in order here with kids and job, haven't had any time to think about football recently. Cant believe its right around the corner. I still havent had time to process Eagles winning with a backup QB.

no worries, hope the vacation was nice!
Nanners is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:00 PM   #47
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

"Never Give Up!"

Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:21 PM   #48
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw8LagPx8oY
Old 08-11-2018, 04:03 PM   #49
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
Okay you want a long answer?

The Cowboys have always had an above average roster during Garretts tenure. They have had an elite O-line, a couple different elite RBs, a true top-end WR1, an (aging) HOF TE, and well above average QB play... and all of this has resulted in 2 winning seasons and a 1-2 playoff record in six years of Garretts coaching. During each of the three consecutive 8-8 seasons Garrett had near the start of his career, the Cowboys would have made the playoffs with a win in their final regular season game in all 3 of those years, and yet they lost all 3 games - which leads me to my next point.

Garrett does not win big games. What is his biggest career win? The playoff game against Detroit? I am guessing that the reason Garrett has barely any memorable wins to his name after 6 years is because -

Garrett has shown no ability to make in-game adjustments. Throughout his tenure, the Cowboys regularly perform worse in the second half than they do in the first. Here are some of the numbers from last season

1) The​ Cowboys scored 46 total points in the third quarter last season, while their opponents scored 100.

2) They lost four games in which they led at halftime.

3) They lost every game in which they were losing at halftime.

4) Dallas' opponents got progressively better at scoring every quarter, giving up 14 percent of their total points in the first quarter, 23 percent in the second, 30 percent in the third, and 33 percent in the fourth quarter.

On the topic of mid-game adjustments, the game last year where that no-name Falcons DE got 6 sacks is a perfect example of poor adjusting. Even in the third and fourth quarters after the guy already had a few sacks, the Cowboys barely attempted anything to slow him down (like double-teaming or chipping with a TE or whatever), if you dont believe me, just watch for yourself.

So there you go, he is an underachiever who cant win big games and cant make mid-game adjustments. Do you want more reasons or is that enough for now?

Maybe Jim Harbaugh? Josh McDaniels? Bruce Aryans?

No doubt its hard to find a great coach. Theres only a small handful of them, and even when you get a great coach he still needs to be surrounded by the right situation in order to succeed.

For the record, its not like I ever said Garrett is the worst coach in the league...hes definitely better than clowns like Hue Jackson and Marvin Lewis. I said Garrett is mediocre, and if mediocre is okay with you, then by all means keep Garrett and continue to be irrelevant. Personally if I was a fan of "americas team", I would demand more than mediocre. A franchise like the Cowboys is one of the most attractive coaching jobs in the entire league, they shouldnt have to settle for mediocre.

Anyway, since I am not a Cowboys fan, I kinda hope Garrett stays another 6+ years... theres something kind of cathartic about watching the Cowboys lose.
I mean some of these are legit concerns I guess but IMO if we are questioning his job we should really just look at the past 3-4 years. But here is his whole career:

COWBOYS UNDER GARRETT
2011: 8-8
2012: 8-8
2013: 8-8
2014: 12-4
2015: 4-12 (Romo injured, Weeden the QB)
2016: 13-3 (Garrett wins NFL COY)
2017: 9-7
TOTAL: 62 - 50

He has ONE losing season...ONE. And we are supposed to axe this guy? Starting 8-8 three years straight was frustrating for Dallas fans, but that was 5 years ago. It's a new roster now.

Getting trapped in a cycle of rotating coaches sucks, I'm not ready for it yet. Dallas was there before Garrett, going through coach after coach. Garrett literally won COY season before last. He has earned his spot in 2018.

Is Garrett without flaws? no. As you pointed out, he seems to have issues adjusting in 2nd half. His play calling has definitely been suspect. But I do think he has been improving.

Of the coaches you listed, Aryans is the only one that raises an eyebrow for me. If Aryans wanted to come here, okay..bye bye Garrett. He is probably the only one out there though, who is available anyway.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:33 AM   #50
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
I mean some of these are legit concerns I guess but IMO if we are questioning his job we should really just look at the past 3-4 years. But here is his whole career:

COWBOYS UNDER GARRETT
2011: 8-8
2012: 8-8
2013: 8-8
2014: 12-4
2015: 4-12 (Romo injured, Weeden the QB)
2016: 13-3 (Garrett wins NFL COY)
2017: 9-7
TOTAL: 62 - 50

He has ONE losing season...ONE. And we are supposed to axe this guy? Starting 8-8 three years straight was frustrating for Dallas fans, but that was 5 years ago. It's a new roster now.

Getting trapped in a cycle of rotating coaches sucks, I'm not ready for it yet. Dallas was there before Garrett, going through coach after coach. Garrett literally won COY season before last. He has earned his spot in 2018.

Is Garrett without flaws? no. As you pointed out, he seems to have issues adjusting in 2nd half. His play calling has definitely been suspect. But I do think he has been improving.

Of the coaches you listed, Aryans is the only one that raises an eyebrow for me. If Aryans wanted to come here, okay..bye bye Garrett. He is probably the only one out there though, who is available anyway.

First of all, hats off for acknowledging that I brought up some "legit concerns". Based on how you have responded during arguments we've had in the past, I imagine that was not easy for you.

Anyway, you can replace a coach without getting trapped in a cycle of rotating coaches. The Rams recently replaced the known Jeff Fisher with the unknown Sean McVay and look how that turned out for them. The Eagles replaced the highly respected Andy Reid with Chip Kelly, and when Chip didnt work they quickly moved on to the unknown Pederson and won their first ever superbowl.

Personally I would rather be trapped in a cycle of rotating coaches than be trapped in a cycle of the same mediocre coach. The cycle of searching for a coach ends the moment you find a decent coach (which will happen eventually), and at least a team with rotating coaches is actively trying to get better. A good coach can make such a huge difference on a teams success, if I was a GM or owner I would be flipping coaches every year or two until I found a good one.... you play to win the game, theres no way in hell I would let an obviously mediocre coach like Garrett stick around for 7+ years.

What does Garrett do well? You asked me what he does poorly and I gave you a detailed answer (with sources), now its your turn to answer my question from earlier in this thread.

PS - if COY was actually meaningful, Belichick would win it virtually every single year. Fucking Marvin Lewis won COY one time...

Last edited by Nanners : 08-12-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Nanners is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #51
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

Finish this Fight - Cole Beasley

Old 08-13-2018, 03:19 PM   #52
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

Finish this Fight - Sean Lee

Old 08-13-2018, 04:05 PM   #53
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

Western Tribute: Wanted (Dead Or Alive)-Bon Jovi

Old 08-15-2018, 05:59 PM   #54
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

Undisputed | Believe the surge of hype around the Cowboys wide receivers?

This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: