Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: How much would Kobe average in Wilt's era?

Much enough to seen as reincarnation of jesus.

Gooner | Heat Nation EnoughSaid's Avatar

Are you serious? In the 60's and 70's, the training and conditioning wasn't as close as to as it is now. The talent of Wilt during this era would be something like Dwight Howard combined with Shaq. Wilt would have been GOAT if he played in this era and was bulked up like all these players.

I'd like to see how Kobe would be trained, how he'd retain his current bulk and, even more so, how his injuries would be handled, if he played in Wilt's time. But, anyway, Wilt > Kobe. Kobe taking away a few scoring titles from Wilt (definitely not all of them, especially if Wilt felt like trying to seriously compete for them, instead of playing the delicate way he so often used to) would not change this.

PS. Kobe getting 10 apg in Wilt's time drew a tear in my eye. Due to laughing, of course.

Banned

Kobe in Wilt's era would be ownage.

They would make Kobe would be GOAT, but he plays in today's era and Kobe will be CO-GOAT, making MJ only a CO-GOAT.

Sent from my rooted EVO 4g jail broken with swipe

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Against those unathletic undersized SGs I think these would be Kobe's stats

40ppg 10APG 9RPG 50%FGA omfg
    at first I was like the averages seem about right than, I saw the bold part and realized it was a troll thread.

Learning to shoot layups eldanielfire's Avatar

Kobe is a copy cat, an excellent one, without 40 years of NBA moves to absorb and the Lakers spending double what other sides do on their players I can't see Kobe doing as well a she does today. Besides Bill Russell would have pwned him every game.

Quote Originally Posted by asdf1990
    at first I was like the averages seem about right than, I saw the bold part and realized it was a troll thread.
    You know Kobe has had many games with over 10 assists, right? He's a good passer.

lol... if kobe averaged that.... then that would leave somebody like lebron to 50-20-20-10-10

Good High School Starter

more than what wilt did because kobe is better

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Assists were not counted they was they are now. Cousy was getting 8-9 a game on teams scoring 120ppg and running all day. Under todays definition he might have been around 12-15 a game.

Kobe in the 60s would score pretty much whatever his coach decided. But not much over 50ppg. At some point it stops being practical to have one guy shoot every time. He would get wild baskets on the break, have no motivation to shoot 3s, and be able to rebound his ass off in most games.

38 points, 10-12 rebounds, and 5-6 assists on 50-55% shooting wouldnt surprise me. I know nobody back then shot that well..but I just cant see Kobe really being stopped. Plus I think he could be brought under control and not just gun away the way some of the old guys did to lower their percentages. Kobe knowing what he knows now...in 06 form...his numbers are what he decides to make them.

If he dropped around 28-30ppg he might shoot 60%. And its not that hes THAT much better a shooter than everyone then....but guys didnt make the same effort to take good shots guys these days have to. Wilt might take 2 fadeaways get the rebounds then dunk it...when he could just overpower and dunk on guys to begin with if he put his mind to it.

That lack of a free for all mentality I think would help a modern guy like Kobe.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by eldanielfire
    Kobe is a copy cat, an excellent one, without 40 years of NBA moves to absorb and the Lakers spending double what other sides do on their players I can't see Kobe doing as well a she does today. Besides Bill Russell would have pwned him every game.

Quote Originally Posted by asdf1990

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Assists were not counted they was they are now. Cousy was getting 8-9 a game on teams scoring 120ppg and running all day. Under todays definition he might have been around 12-15 a game.

Kobe in the 60s would score pretty much whatever his coach decided. But not much over 50ppg. At some point it stops being practical to have one guy shoot every time. He would get wild baskets on the break, have no motivation to shoot 3s, and be able to rebound his ass off in most games.

38 points, 10-12 rebounds, and 5-6 assists on 50-55% shooting wouldnt surprise me. I know nobody back then shot that well..but I just cant see Kobe really being stopped. Plus I think he could be brought under control and not just gun away the way some of the old guys did to lower their percentages. Kobe knowing what he knows now...in 06 form...his numbers are what he decides to make them.

If he dropped around 28-30ppg he might shoot 60%. And its not that hes THAT much better a shooter than everyone then....but guys didnt make the same effort to take good shots guys these days have to. Wilt might take 2 fadeaways get the rebounds then dunk it...when he could just overpower and dunk on guys to begin with if he put his mind to it.

That lack of a free for all mentality I think would help a modern guy like Kobe.
    Why would Kobe be shootin %60. No guards in that era shot above %50. Baylor was under %45 for his career. Oscar and West were 48 and 47 percent for their career.

Hal Greer was considered the best shooter in that era, his high is right under %48. A second tier star in Richie Guerin shot a Gilbert Arenas/Allen Iverson like %41 for his career.

Kobe would be in the 45 percent range, which was normal back then.

ThaSwagg3r
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

If there was a magic time machine? I would have a hard time believing he would score anything less than 80 ppg. He would be the only dude that would know how to use his weak hand. He would put up ridiculous numbers because he would be far more advanced than those 60s players would be.

Unfortunately, this magic time machine does not exist.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Why would Kobe be shootin %60. No guards in that era shot above %50. Baylor was under %45 for his career. Oscar and West were 48 and 47 percent for their career.

Hal Greer was considered the best shooter in that era, his high is right under %48. A second tier star in Richie Guerin shot a Gilbert Arenas/Allen Iverson like %41 for his career.

Kobe would be in the 45 percent range, which was normal back then.

I think the difference is the kinds of shots they took compared to those Kobe would take. Drop Kobe in his prime into 1962 hes not taking the sweeping across the lane low percentage hook shots ive seen out of Baylor. Guys back then were getting up shots that are just...garbage. Its as if they set out to shoot regardless of the defense or the situation just for the sake of getting a shot up quickly. As much as hes hated on for it by modern standards....by 1962 standards Kobe is meticulous. He has clearly worked on every aspect of how to score to the point that everything from his footwork to release is carefully planned. Kobe isnt gonna just start coming down on the break and taking contested 15 footers.

Kobe might shoot 45% if he plays 60s ball. hes not shooting 45% vs those defenses with all the extra fast break baskets if hes playing the way he plays today. You arent putting a 6'5'' slower guy on Kobe at 18 feet and let him go one on one as they did the great majority of the time and have him miss 70% of the time as he likely needs to to make up for the extra fast break chances shooting percentage wise.

When you watch those old games and Elgin, Oscar, or Jerry face up and really take a moment to attack they are shredding guys. Watch Wilt back down one on one its hard to imagine him missing over half of his shots as he did one year(46%). But he did. ITs not because he couldnt get easy shots when he wanted. Its because he didnt try. He put up garbage went and got the misses and put it back. He would catch it and throw up hooks from 12-14 feet. He could back a guy down and score 90% of the time I bet. But he chose not to do it. He was allowed to play that way because its how they league was. Shoot quickly. Not shoot the best shot you can get.

Put 2000 Shaq in Wilts body he might have shot 75% in 1962. Put Kobe or Lebrons one on one attacking mentality into Elgin Baylor in 1962...hes not shooting 43%.

Plenty of those guys had great one on one ability that they didnt show to its full extent because the name of the game was get the first half decent shot up.

Kobe...03-08 Kobe?

Dude is gonna post up and punish those guys. Hes gonna gradually work himself into position for midrange jumpers. Hes gonna dunk on the break at every chance. Hes playing like guys have to play today to get good shots against defenses that try to stretch out the posession and make you take shots against the shot clock.

Kobe going one on one at the rate he would be able to back in the 60s before players got doubled outside much....isnt shooting 45%.

Not with 40 fast break points up for grabs.