Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What purpose do mosquitoes and bed bugs serve?

As far as I know their whole purpose is to travel organism to organism and suck blood while spreading diseases such as malaria and aids (bed bugs). They're basically a flying used needle. With the climate change and the fact that we pretty much had no winter we can only expect the mosquito population to thrive, and bring us endless hell this summer.

I think its up to us as humans to understand and preserve the natural order of things. Seeing as how those pests serve no real purpose whatsoever, I wouldn't be against a concentrated effort to completely wipe them off the face of the earth. Along with a concentrated effort to preserve the animal and insect population that we put in jeopardy due to our harmful, unnatural lifestyle. Even if a certain creature serves no real purpose, but its existence is not harmful to anyone it should be preserved. Flying needles and aids infested bugs are a different story.

Default Re: What purpose do mosquitoes and bed bugs serve?

i dont know about bed bugs, but mosquitos definitely serve a purpose. the mosquitos are gonna be feasting on you this summer, meanwhile amphibians, spiders and other insects are gonna be feasting on the mosquitos. if we wiped out all mosquitos, food webs for entire ecosystems could collapse. it would be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    i dont know about bed bugs, but mosquitos definitely serve a purpose. the mosquitos are gonna be feasting on you this summer, meanwhile amphibians, spiders and other insects are gonna be feasting on the mosquitos.
    They can also feast on flies and many other forms of insects. Mosquitoes are not essential to amphibians, simply an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard
    They can also feast on flies and many other forms of insects. Mosquitoes are not essential to amphibians, simply an option.
    thats not really how nature works bro. i would bet that there are tons of species that have adapted specifically to eat mosquitos.

So how are we going to wipe them out without harming anything else?

NBA rookie of the year

Mosquitos are among the most effect human population control out there. Over a million malaria deaths a year.

so your solution to our harmful/unnatural life style is to wipe out mosquitoes and bed bugs???

I hope one of those 'flying needles' fly'z straight up your pooper and somehow finds it's way into the inside of your ba[COLOR="Black"]l[/COLOR]lsack and chompz down on some nut.

"wha'd that e-ga just say?!"

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    so your solution to our harmful/unnatural life style is to wipe out mosquitoes and bed bugs???
    Did I say it was a solution? I think us being the most dominant and intelligent species on this planet, we have a responsibility to understand what impact certain species have on the natural order of life. I am obviously not serious when I say wipe them out especially considering I don't know the repercussions of doing so. Our lifestyle is completely out of control and irrational. I just don't see how wiping out mosquitoes and bed bugs could bring more harm than good. They're pests to the highest degree.

Did I say it was a solution? I think us being the most dominant and intelligent species on this planet, we have a responsibility to understand what impact certain species have on the natural order of life. I am obviously not serious when I say wipe them out especially considering I don't know the repercussions of doing so. Our lifestyle is completely out of control and irrational. I just don't see how wiping out mosquitoes and bed bugs could bring more harm than good. They're pests to the highest degree.
    i think we intelligent and dominant humans do understand the impact that mosquitos have on the natural order of life. people have studied the shit out of mosquitos for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    i dont know about bed bugs, but mosquitos definitely serve a purpose. the mosquitos are gonna be feasting on you this summer, meanwhile amphibians, spiders and other insects are gonna be feasting on the mosquitos. if we wiped out all mosquitos, food webs for entire ecosystems could collapse. it would be bad.
    Maybe you're right. I'm not as informed about mosquitoes as I should be, they just piss me off and I know they're coming in even higher numbers than before.

Maybe you're right. I'm not as informed about mosquitoes as I should be, they just piss me off and I know they're coming in even higher numbers than before.
    The only thing coming in even higher numbers if James Akena on the streets of San Diego.

Not like we live in the amazon jungle. I do think folks could do a better job controlling the population though. Whoever is responsible, just go out to where they breed and kill some off. That said how often do mosquitos affect you in a given year? 12 months.

Bed bugs however are disgusting, and I have no idea what purpose those serve.

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
    The only thing coming in even higher numbers if James Akena on the streets of San Diego.
    I think you might mean Jason Russell.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

they're probably food for other animals.