Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Default Messi or Ronaldo?

Messi has won the last 3 FIFA Player of the Year awards, and Ronaldo won it in 2008 (over Messi), while placing 2nd (to Messi) in both 2009 (MU) and 2011 (RM). I also think it's worth noting that every year Messi has won the award, there has been another Barcelona player in the top 3 (Iniesta, Xavi).

So, right now, who do you think the best of the two is? I don't follow the sport closely enough to make an educated evaluation, but with Real Madrid leading La Liga with a supposedly inferior cast, I'm leaning towards Ronaldo.

Default Re: Messi or Ronaldo?

Ronald is way better.... at flopping and crying

Both are equally good IMO. Barcelona winning everything lately is the only reason behind the difference in personal awards.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Messi has won the last 3 FIFA Player of the Year awards, and Ronaldo won it in 2008 (over Messi), while placing 2nd (to Messi) in both 2009 (MU) and 2011 (RM). I also think it's worth noting that every year Messi has won the award, there has been another Barcelona player in the top 3 (Iniesta, Xavi).

So, right now, who do you think the best of the two is? I don't follow the sport closely enough to make an educated evaluation, but with Real Madrid leading La Liga with a supposedly inferior cast, I'm leaning towards Ronaldo.
    thats not how things work in football mate, this aint nba

this might have been a good question in 2008 or 2009, but its not right now and it wont be ever
    messi is already one of the best ever, the same cant be said for cristiano

I like Ronaldo's game more can't decide who is actually better

Quote Originally Posted by chains5000
    Both are equally good IMO. Barcelona winning everything lately is the only reason behind the difference in personal awards.
    this

Welcome to LA S. Nash! rhythmic 's Avatar

Is this a joke? Messi by a country mile.
    He actually steps up in big games.

Messi will be compared to Pele and Diego.

In before "Messi doesn't play well for Argentina NT, he can only perform with Xavi", even though he totally does.

im a superhero

i like ronaldo more, but i initially thought messi was better at the start of the year. now im not so sure. i think they are equally great.

This entire forum has the "what have you done for me lately" mentality. Since Ronaldo has been really good this season, people totally forgot how often Messi outplays this cry-baby.

Skill-wise perhaps they're somewhat close, in terms of their resume: it's Messi by a century mile, actually. In a way, you're asking me who's better Michael Jordan or LeBron James? I'll take the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    In before "Messi doesn't play well for Argentina NT, he can only perform with Xavi", even though he totally does.
    Which idiot says that? Do people watch Barca play? Messi half the time dashes 30 yards on his own for the score.

[quote=rhythmic

Serious playground baller

Messi is way better today, he is just a different kind of breed... this question is totally pointless now, you could of ask years before but not now.......

How can anyone say Ronaldo isn't one of the best ever? He may not be in your top 15-20 all-time (he disappears still a lot because his game is pretty linear), but I'm sorry, when a guy is breaking scoring records seemingly every year now, ya, you can put him into that category of one of the greatest ever regardless of how many people you put on that list.

Seriously alenleomessi, you are gonna say that possibly the greatest finisher ever when his career is done, is not gonna be considered one of the greatest ever? lol

Messi is better. Much better all-around game on offense, but it's sad when certain messi fans laugh at Ronaldo as if he's some chump. The dude is the second best player of this generation and he's laughed at......lol

On another note, Ronaldo will probably tighten the footballer of the year award overall race to 3-2 in Messi's favor after this year. Probably end up with more goals, Madrid will win La Liga, Portugal may not do better in the Euros than Argentina did in Copa, but they prob won't do worse (and while that doesn't mean he's better than Messi LJJ, it does matter to voters of this award). Now, it would be interesting to see what happens if that all comes to fruition and Barca still wins the CL. But if there ever was a year for Ronaldo to get his second player of the year award, it would be this year.

High School Starter

Anybody who thinks it's "Messi by a country mile" is a fool. Ronaldo has been godly this season. They are two different kind of wingers in terms of playing style.

As far as resumes go, yes, Messi is ahead. Let's not forget Ronaldo HAS won on some of the biggest stages as well. It's a shame Barca has had their number in head to head games, but I think a lot of that is on Mourinho/Pepe/a few other Real players letting the heat get to their head. Ronaldo did blow a few chances this past game and it's a shame, but that shouldn't discredit his whole resume and it's not like he literally went 'head to head' versus Messi. You can't say Messi got the better in a 'head' to 'head,' as they aren't really playing against each other; their teams are.

Anybody who discredits Messi because of his national team play (which isn't even 'bad' by any means, just not as great as his club team play) is a fool as well. He plays a different role there.

I think Messi is a greater player and will rightfully go down as so. But it's closer than most people make it out to be, and it's got to be disheartening for him to never get his props around now.
    Last edited by soadrules; 02-28-2012 at 12:11 PM.