Page 12 of 130 FirstFirst ... 291011121314152262112 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2012/13 Observation Deck

Quote Originally Posted by beer
    well we agree on one point. we both hate howland. i really don't care if the SI article is or isn't true at this point in time, i just want him fired. unfortunately the story didn't get him fired, but it does look like this embarrassment of a season will.

as far as the recruits running the show... i wish. maybe ucla basketball would actually be fun to watch. it's still howland's unbearable offense. and you can add jordan adams to that list. he has stated many times it was his goal to be a one and done. sucks cause he's my fav of the recruits so far but whatever, doubt he'd stay when the new coaching staff is hired next year.

but can you elaborate on this

isn't that why all those top recruits go to kentucky.... cause they're one and dones and want to have a successful season... maybe i'm just not understanding what you're trying to say.
    Just referring to a possibility as to why his freshman class was so strong this year. You have two guys openly saying they want to only play one year (Adams and Shabazz) and another (Anderson) who can make the jump if they make a run this year. Seems hard to believe they all said "ah man let's restore greatness to this program" that's all

as for the offense, it hasn't been as bad as previous years, but i agree. His style died with the Big East (too soon?) and it just doesn't appeal to players looking to play only one year.

btw i think ALL of these freshman would be making a mistake declaring. Jordan Adams is already an NBA shooter, but not an NBA defender...yet. Kyle Anderson has an amazing feel for the game but he needs to get so much stronger its not even funny. Shabazz is still too out of shape to tell i guess. If howland got fired and they were looking to stay in school theyd probably be all gone to other schools anyways

Can't wait until Feb 13.

More like Matt Boner HB40TheNextStar's Avatar

There are a few ways I want to approach this. I think I will go with this...

Roy needs to change the way he recruits. I'm not saying start secretly handing bags of cash and keys to a brand new car over to recruits, their handlers, or whomever else. Not saying get involved with World Wide Wes or Brian Clifton. Both of which are impossible now anyway, since Roy burned those bridges long ago, and thankfully so.

But Roy, like all coaches, have a type. This is from his book:

“I remember going to recruit Marvin Williams, and in one game he had 36 points. But that wasn’t what sold me on him. Marvin fouled out of that game, and while the crowd was giving him a standing ovation, he walked over to the end of the bench and grabbed five cups of water and handed them to the five guys who were going back into the game. I said to myself, ‘I really want this kid.’”
    That's his type.

And there is nothing even remotely wrong with gracious, down to earth kids (that's what high school recruits are) at all. If I were a coach, I would want all my players to be exactly like that.

Except... also have the ability to turn on a switch when they step on the court.

Marvin Williams? Extremely talented basketball player who is perfectly fine with being a role player. Not in a good way like fitting within the team's scheme, but more like willing to sit in the background.

Reggie Bullock is the same. That's the reason why JP Tokoto went from the top recruit to nearly dropping out the top 100 in less than a year. Love the guy and at least he produced, but Tyler Zeller is somewhat from that mold. There are many others as well.

You can't possibly tell me there aren't players who are humble off the court and killers on. Durant and Rose come to mind... Although neither would have qualified at UNC (so close with Durant...), and I guess that's the biggest obstacle.

To his defense, Roy did find several like Lawson, Hansbrough, Hairston, Barnes and a few others.

What makes things worse is that most kids now see college as a stepping stone to the NBA. Which is fine and all, except it's no longer the top kids who see that. You have 60-100 kids wanting to come in and start right away and then get drafted as quickly as possible. Even if it's not realistically possible, the advice they get makes them think otherwise. Hell, look at Troy Williams (Indiana recruit) and his ordeal.

It's obviously a different game nowadays and I don't even know what Roy can do. But something needs to change, because he followed suit with his 2013 class again. Unless by the very off chance we land Wiggins. And then he would just be an anomaly.

In a nutshell: I'm tired of players pussying out and avoiding contact.

And I'm not backing down. I still see a nice future with this current group of players in 1-2 years.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

the amount of "feels good to be a Hoosier" Facebook statuses from people I know for a fact have never even been to Bloomington, let alone are actual Hoosiers. jesus christ. these are the same people that are Notre Dame football fans.

Sixers|Eagles|Phillies StateProperty's Avatar

Pains me to watch a team like UNC. Talented yet they play SO SOFT and undisciplined/seemingly unmotivated. Starts with McAdoo. He attacks the rim like he's 6'1" avoiding contact. I almost feel they play better when he's not in the game.

They need a fire lit under their ass. Paige is the only player I like.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    the amount of "feels good to be a Hoosier" Facebook statuses from people I know for a fact have never even been to Bloomington, let alone are actual Hoosiers. jesus christ. these are the same people that are Notre Dame football fans.
    yikes

Louisville moves to the ACC, have "better football program" than Uconn.

Not last saturday I guess

So Big 10 is up 4-2 heading into tonight's games. They obviously have the advantage, but I can see the ACC at least getting a tie out of this.

I will give Wisconsin and Clemson wins tonight. 5-3.

If Harris and Trice were back and not possibly rusty, I'd be confident enough that MSU would win at Miami....but MSU is always susceptible to road losses against an ok team...especially this early. If those two do play tonight, hopefully there's good cohesion. Turnovers will give Miami a chance if they aren't under check tonight as well. I will give MSU the win, but am not very confident. Hopefully they win big and give a glimpse of what they can become. 6-3.

I want to give Illinois the win, but I'm not sold on them yet. They are definitely not good enough to play average and win tonight. I think this game will come down to the wire. Now the ACC would have to win this game, the OSU/Duke game and a terrible game between BC/PSU. I doubt they can do that, but the MSU, Illinois and Wisconsin games are pretty important.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin
    So Big 10 is up 4-2 heading into tonight's games. They obviously have the advantage, but I can see the ACC at least getting a tie out of this.

I will give Wisconsin and Clemson wins tonight. 5-3.

If Harris and Trice were back and not possibly rusty, I'd be confident enough that MSU would win at Miami....but MSU is always susceptible to road losses against an ok team...especially this early. If those two do play tonight, hopefully there's good cohesion. Turnovers will give Miami a chance if they aren't under check tonight as well. I will give MSU the win, but am not very confident. Hopefully they win big and give a glimpse of what they can become. 6-3.

I want to give Illinois the win, but I'm not sold on them yet. They are definitely not good enough to play average and win tonight. I think this game will come down to the wire. Now the ACC would have to win this game, the OSU/Duke game and a terrible game between BC/PSU. I doubt they can do that, but the MSU, Illinois and Wisconsin games are pretty important.
    Last night went about as expected. I expected Michigan and Indiana to win, especially playing at home; but, on top of that, both UNC and NC State were and still are struggling to find their way.

I guess Minnesota winning at Florida State could be looked at as a bit of a surprise, but Minnesota is the better team in my opinion. Don't know much about Nebraska, but Wake Forest is horrible, so I thought that was going to be another Big 10 win.

I'd probably give Ohio State the edge in tonight's game if it was at Ohio State, but I can't see them beating Duke at Duke. Georgia Tech looked surprisingly better than I thought they would during their Thanksgiving break tournament (can't remember the name of it) but I still can't see them going to Illinois and winning.

I don't know...I just thought the Big 10 was clearly the better conference this year. Their top 3-4 teams are much better than the ACC's top 3-4 teams right now, and it's a deeper conference overall in my opinion.

Oh, and the ACC is going to be really, really good (at the top at least) once Syracuse and Louisville join.

Pitt better get back to being a top 15 team by the time we get to the ACC or its going to be some tough sledding.

CSUN going to win a nail biter vs UCLA tonight. Well, would be nice but after Poly upset the Bruins, can't see them dropping two in a row to the Big West. Then again, I thought the same when Irvine nearly upset them.

#23 in Mid-Major polls for the Mats too .

6-1, 3 double digit victories and only loss being at BYU. Youngest team in the nation. Love it. In two years, if they keep developing, and with the Big West getting slightly stronger with Hawaii + another school whose name slips my mind, CSUN will be somewhat relevant

Landon Drew will also embarrass his older brother as well
    Last edited by qrich; 11-28-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Milton Jennings is suspended tonight, got busted with weed. That definitely helps Purdue's chances against Clemson.

I love the offensive potential of this team. Nix/Payne still aren't aggressive enough at times, but Appling/Harris/Dawson make me wet. Izzo teams will always be stagnant at times, but this team has a flow on offense that is above what you really ever see with them I think.

And I might have been wrong about the Purdue/Clemson game. lol

Big 10 has it booked.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin
    I love the offensive potential of this team. Nix/Payne still aren't aggressive enough at times, but Appling/Harris/Dawson make me wet. Izzo teams will always be stagnant at times, but this team has a flow on offense that is above what you really ever see with them I think.
    the team best when playing off of stops. When the other team is scoring Izzo likes to slow the game way down, but if time to blow it open it doesn't prevent his players from getting out on the break. But it all depends on consecutive stops. So far not bad this season.