Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-17-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
Walton_04
Decent playground baller

Walton_04 has an OK reputation so far
Default Is Kobe being realistic?

I heard "game night" on ESPN radio, and John Seibel said that if Kobe really wanted a championship, he should've signed for less than the maximum and leave run for another FA signing. In his opinion, Kobe will not sacrifice his paycheck for a championship.

Is Kobe being realistic about the team's opportunities for improvement?
I mean, does he expect good players to sign for Vets minimum or MLE?

Shaq presented the same problem, he wanted the Lakers to improve, but he wanted other veterans to sign for less money for the privilege of playing with him.

I guess if I'm Kobe, I either choose championship, or I choose big pay. Can he really have both?
Walton_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
dblockallstars
High school junior varsity star

dblockallstars has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Is Kobe being realistic?

If he goes 2 NY then I think it can work b/c 1st they're in the East, so if they still have marbury n curry they should b damn good.... also NY is way over the cap n luxury and they have bad contracts that expire all the time, which they can trade for a disgruntled star (other than kobe)
dblockallstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:13 PM   #3
netdoc
High School Varsity 6th Man

netdoc has an OK reputation so far

he won't go to New York. They have nothing to return, no high draft picks, no talent. You can say "Well, New York is only competing against Chicago and Phoenix". I say Chicago and Phoenix can offer better bang for the buck in the form of Amare or Marion - Gordan and Deng.

Oh well.
netdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:18 PM   #4
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblockallstars
If he goes 2 NY then I think it can work b/c 1st they're in the East, so if they still have marbury n curry they should b damn good.... also NY is way over the cap n luxury and they have bad contracts that expire all the time, which they can trade for a disgruntled star (other than kobe)

I think with the knickerbokers KB would do much better than expected. Yet, I would hate a trade to N.Y. because of what they would trade in return..
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:18 PM   #5
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Yes Kobe is being realistic. It is silly to assume that just because he gets a max contract you can't have a championship team.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:22 PM   #6
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdoc
he won't go to New York. They have nothing to return, no high draft picks, no talent. You can say "Well, New York is only competing against Chicago and Phoenix". I say Chicago and Phoenix can offer better bang for the buck in the form of Amare or Marion - Gordan and Deng.

Oh well.

Even if the Suns do have premium barganing chips, I cannot imagine a trade going down. They would be basically crowning a winner to their own division.

Chicago to me is more of a possibility..
Old 06-17-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
Yes Kobe is being realistic. It is silly to assume that just because he gets a max contract you can't have a championship team.

That is true, because he is not the only player receiving max dollars... and some of those other players are in competitive teams..
Old 06-17-2007, 06:53 PM   #8
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
your correct, but he is being unrealistic if he thinks they can build a contender after the shaq trade then the rudy fiasco and this season's injuries.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:56 PM   #9
AceVenturaPetDet
Local High School Star

AceVenturaPetDet has an OK reputation so far

I will lose respect on kobe if he stays with the Lakers without significant trades, he got the balls to say these things he better have the balls to waive his trade clause.
AceVenturaPetDet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 11:23 PM   #10
Walton_04
Decent playground baller

Walton_04 has an OK reputation so far

I'm not against Kobe making his money. He plays hard, he's the best player in the league, and he earns his dollars.

MJ also got the highest salary during his last 3yrs with the Bulls. And he also had Pippen and Rodman.

The Suns have key players locked in with big contracts, but they're worth their money.
But all I'm questioning is, was Kobe realistic about the Lakers after he signed the
contract, and after the Lakers lost Shaq, Karl Malone, Rick Fox, Derek Fisher, and Gary Payton? Was he realistic about the Lakers making a serious run with
Brian Grant?

Had the Lakers offered him an extension before his free agency, maybe things would've been different.

What's keeping the Lakers from making a serious run is the money! A good free agent is worth more than what the Lakers can offer.
Walton_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: