Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Derrick Coleman, was he a bust?

Was checking out this SI list of top 20 busts, #17 Derrick Coleman. I am 29, and always thought he was a decent player, but this analysis paints a different picture. So was DC a bust?

DC enjoyed a 15-year career, averaging a double-double five different times, while making the All-Star team in '94. That's nothing to sneeze at, unless you consider that he did all this while expending the least amount of effort possible, gliding by on an NBA-ready body and a superior touch. He also drove a series of coaches to the unemployment line and to multiple types of therapy. Coleman could have been the best power forward ever; instead he played just well enough to ensure his next paycheck.
    Top 20 bust

Default Re: Derrick Coleman, was he a bust?

Quote Originally Posted by loot
    Was checking out this SI list of top 20 busts, #17 Derrick Coleman. I am 29, and always thought he was a decent player, but this analysis paints a different picture. So was DC a bust?

Top 20 bust
    As per the article, he didn't do his potential justice, so it depends on your definition of "bust." I've seen Chris Webber labelled a bust for similar reasons and he was a near-MVP in Sacramento. When you're 6'10" 250, super athletic and super skilled, people expect the world of you and Coleman generally delivered an atlas (Webber a globe. A really nice, free standing globe made of gold, that you might see in the office of a super villain or dictator). When you look at what some players have done with far fewer natural gifts, it's not hard to see why.

For mine, neither are busts, a bust is a guy like Rafael Araujo, who went #8 in the draft, played 3 seasons, did nothing, then vanished. It's not fair to lump Coleman with a guy like that

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

One of the biggest underachievers ever.

A lot of people thought Coleman had the potential to be one of the best. I never really buy-in to that philosophy, because for me, the mental side of the game is just as important as the physical side. Some people have it, and some people don't. The greats have both.

A career average of 16/9 as a first pick isn't good but when you look at the draft he was in it wasn't a good one only Gary Payton became better so I wouldn't say he was a bust.

Used to be one of my fave player in the 90s.
    With Kenny & Petrovic I thought they were on the verge of something special.

I don't think he's a bust considering his peak (all star game, all nba teams, USA 94), but surely a disappointment that his peak is too short & things went south after 1994.

Sometime I wonder if Petrovic didn't have that tragic accident, would his leadership influenced DC to be a (mentally) better player?

Winning>Stats

Yes he was a bust. Charles Barkley said he should have been the GOAT PF. He had all the tools, great scorer, great rebounder, great passer, great handles for a big man, played good D. He was immature (whoop de****ing do story), got too much money too early. Had Chuck Daly as coach right after he coached the bad boys and he still failed.

If you look at his numbers they look great, but if you look at his skills you can see it was wasted.

Banned

some people make the hall of fame with worse career averages than 16/9

above average player = yes

bust = no

Every time I hear Derrick Coleman, I always remember when I was a kid and I went to my first Rockets game when they were playing against the 76ers.

These two drunk guys next to us were heckling Derrick Coleman all game. (of all the people to heckle).

They said "DC, you suck!" about 50 times.

Winning>Stats

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    some people make the hall of fame with worse career averages than 16/9

above average player = yes

bust = no
    Basketball isnt just about numbers. Go on YouTube and watch some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by 32MJ32
    As per the article, he didn't do his potential justice, so it depends on your definition of "bust." I've seen Chris Webber labelled a bust for similar reasons and he was a near-MVP in Sacramento. When you're 6'10" 250, super athletic and super skilled, people expect the world of you and Coleman generally delivered an atlas (Webber a globe. A really nice, free standing globe made of gold, that you might see in the office of a super villain or dictator). When you look at what some players have done with far fewer natural gifts, it's not hard to see why.

For mine, neither are busts, a bust is a guy like Rafael Araujo, who went #8 in the draft, played 3 seasons, did nothing, then vanished. It's not fair to lump Coleman with a guy like that
    Dunno if Araujo can be rated as a bust since no one rated him to begin with.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

I would not call him a bust, he's under the category of underachieving. Sort of like Shawn Kemp..could have been great, was very good..but just an underachiever. DC was lazy as hell. My dad and I would laugh at the guy when we watched him play. Just lazy as fu#k.

Underachiever, not a bust. Busts are players like Darko and Kwame.

Raz
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Unfulfilled potential? Yes.

Bust? No way. That term is reserved for guys like Thabeet or O'Bannon

A bust for a number one pick for sure. Along the lines of a Joe Smith.