Page 3 of 88 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2010/11 Observation Deck

I will be sitting 1 row behind the Seton Hall bench tomorrow and will be heckling Jeremy Hazell uncontrollably should he sit down for a second.

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    National top 20 2011 Cody Zeller committed to Indiana today. What a homo.
    I hope he's ready to hear a lot of clapping.

Kanter ruled ineligible. What a crock of shit.

Villanova freshman Pinkston getting assault charges...

Assault charges will be filed against Villanova basketball player JayVaughn Pinkston for a fight that occurred at an offcampus party early Sunday morning, police said.

Pinkston will be charged with two counts each of simple assault and harassment and he is the only one facing charges as a result of the incident, police said.

Pinkston, a freshman forward from Brooklyn, N.Y., who was named New York state’s player of the year last season, was attending a party at a residential house on Keebler Road near Langdale Court in Upper Merion Township when “an argument ensued between Mr. Pinkston and several of the attendees,” Upper Merion Police Sgt. Jeffery Maurer said.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz151ljdYVq

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    National top 20 2011 Cody Zeller committed to Indiana today. What a homo.
    Was Purdue even in the mix? Or is it just sour grapes he went to the other Big 10 Indiana school?

I thought it came down to Indiana and North Carolina, and word around UNC was that he had been a silent commit to Indiana for a while now.

I rule the local playground ukfan22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Kanter ruled ineligible. What a crock of shit.
    When I first heard the 33k figure, I thought it was the right ruling. But after reading the Decourcey article, I'm upset. The NCAA says he took $33,033 over necessary expenses. But $20,000 was spent on his education. The rest was left unused in an account. If that is provable through bank documents, then this is the wrong decision. The Kanters took extra money to pay for his education, but ended up not needing all of it. And they didn't even spend the surplus money! They just left it there and have been offering to pay not only that back, but the 20k they spent on his education. This is the WRONG decision and hopefully he wins on appeal.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...09/enes-kanter

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Was Purdue even in the mix? Or is it just sour grapes he went to the other Big 10 Indiana school?

I thought it came down to Indiana and North Carolina, and word around UNC was that he had been a silent commit to Indiana for a while now.
    No, Purdue was never in it. There was like the early courtesy interest from both sides but it wasn't ever gonna happen. No sour grapes really, at least he stayed in state, though I'd have much preferred Butler. No one really knows anything, the Zeller family's obviously been through this recruiting thing before but most people had the general feeling he was very much IU's to lose.

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KG215

"Silent commitments" mean absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ukfan22
    When I first heard the 33k figure, I thought it was the right ruling. But after reading the Decourcey article, I'm upset. The NCAA says he took $33,033 over necessary expenses. But $20,000 was spent on his education. The rest was left unused in an account. If that is provable through bank documents, then this is the wrong decision. The Kanters took extra money to pay for his education, but ended up not needing all of it. And they didn't even spend the surplus money! They just left it there and have been offering to pay not only that back, but the 20k they spent on his education. This is the WRONG decision and hopefully he wins on appeal.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...09/enes-kanter
    lol Kentucky fans.

33k PROVEN over the necessary expenses. Calipari wanted to play a professional club player. Even if he took NOTHING from the club (which has been proven false), a professional player should not be able to play in the NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniFan
    "Silent commitments" mean absolutely nothing.
    I agree, but in this case, it proved to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by noob cake
    lol Kentucky fans.

33k PROVEN over the necessary expenses. Calipari wanted to play a professional club player. Even if he took NOTHING from the club (which has been proven false), a professional player should not be able to play in the NCAA.
    I see you didn't read the article. $20,000 of the $33k figure went to pay for school, but since the NCAA has a rule that states education must be paid for directly by the team, they've lumped it into the amount over "necessary expenses". You decide if education is a necessary expense or not.

As for the rest, around $13k, it's what was left over from the expense money the Kanters received on a monthly basis, which, despite what you believe, is not against NCAA rules. And what did they do with this surplus money? NOTHING, they just left it there and have been offering to pay it back this entire time, along with the $20k spent on school. This demonstrates clear intent NOT to become a professional, which was supposed to be important to the NCAA. Hopefully the appeals board will see it differently, a la Dee Bost, Jermiah Masoli, etc.

Please respond with something of substance, not just Calipari bashing.

This cracked me up...

Quick Seton Hall basketball quiz: Which quote from Jeremy Hazell is from last fall, and which is from this autumn?

"I won’t have to shoot all the shots that I did last year because I’ve got great players around me."

"I won’t have to take a lot of the shots I took last year. I’ve got more options around me."

Not easy, is it? For the record, the first quote was from last week at Seton Hall’s media day, and the second was from the Pirates’ media day in October 2009.
    Tonight will be a repeat of this. Can't wait.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ukfan22
    I see you didn't read the article. $20,000 of the $33k figure went to pay for school, but since the NCAA has a rule that states education must be paid for directly by the team, they've lumped it into the amount over "necessary expenses". You decide if education is a necessary expense or not.

As for the rest, around $13k, it's what was left over from the expense money the Kanters received on a monthly basis, which, despite what you believe, is not against NCAA rules. And what did they do with this surplus money? NOTHING, they just left it there and have been offering to pay it back this entire time, along with the $20k spent on school. This demonstrates clear intent NOT to become a professional, which was supposed to be important to the NCAA. Hopefully the appeals board will see it differently, a la Dee Bost, Jermiah Masoli, etc.

Please respond with something of substance, not just Calipari bashing.
    meh. that 20 k for school is still above and beyond based on the NCAA rules (as you point out). They can appeal, but they wont win it.

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    meh. that 20 k for school is still above and beyond based on the NCAA rules (as you point out). They can appeal, but they wont win it.
    Appeals work all the time, because the appeals board looks at context and circumstances and not just the letter of the law(rules). Dee Bost or Jerimiah Masoli ring a bell? And the amount spent on school has nothing to do with it, it's just that it went to the parents first instead of directly from the team. Apparently it's ok for the Kanters to receive money for housing, travel, medical, etc. but not education. Nice rule, NCAA.

I got an observation:

Jared Sullinger looks tiny out there and he's getting his shot blocked a lot. But he is a beast on the boards (although it's against a weak team.) He almost looks like a SF or a Guard out there, though.

I've seen him get blocked 3 times already (one was ruled a foul even though it wasnt IMO.)

-Smak