Default Like Father Like Son (Japanese Movie 2013)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joR0F6Z9fDc

The recipient of the jury prize at the 66th Annual Cannes Film Festival, Hirokazu Koreeda's heartfelt drama tells the tale of Ryota (Masaharu Fukuyama), a success-drive father who learns that the son he has raised for six years is not his own due to a clerical error at the hospital where the child was born. Faced with the decision of raising his biological son or the one he has fathered since birth, Ryota begins questioning everything he has ever known about being a father. ~

I've yet to see it, it looks good though. It's an interesting question, although I'm quite sure which side of the question i'd come down on all things being equal.

Default Re: Like Father Like Son (Japanese Movie 2013)

While on the topic of recently released Asian films that I'm trying really hard to find an English online sub for, Snowpiercer,

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Beadles
    While on the topic of recently released Asian films that I'm trying really hard to find an English online sub for, Snowpiercer,

I haven't seen for that film which is why I have yet to watch it. Has it come out on DVD yet? Usually then people do subs, it's a cleaner copy.

   

it looks fantastic. thank you for posting this. haven't seen a good live-action japanese film in ages. >_<

personally it looks like their big mistake was in trying to swap back. so assuming the other parents agreed with me, i would have stood pat for approximately one million reasons. i understand being caught between multiple worlds, though. it's stressful and heartbreaking for the parents... terribly confusing for the child.

but i'm such a lazy motherf--ker. whenever i get in the mood for japanese, i'll watch either tampopo, what's up tiger lily, or a kurosawa / miyazaki film. i mean it's a good formula, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    it looks fantastic. thank you for posting this. haven't seen a good live-action japanese film in ages. >_<

personally it looks like their big mistake was in trying to swap back. so assuming the other parents agreed with me, i would have stood pat for approximately one million reasons. i understand being caught between multiple worlds, though. it's stressful and heartbreaking for the parents... terribly confusing for the child.

but i'm such a lazy motherf--ker. whenever i get in the mood for japanese, i'll watch either tampopo, what's up tiger lily, or a kurosawa / miyazaki film. i mean it's a good formula, but still.
    I think the reasoning in the film is that the company who did the blood test insists they contact the other family, which starts everythign in motion. i think....

Great trailer though, usually a trailer for a movie that's more thoughtful doesn't get me moving to see the film as much as this one did.

And if i met the other parents, and they were good people and the kid was happy, i'd see no reason to even entertain a swap, and I'd be in Bolivia hiding with my kid before someone took them away.
    Last edited by niko; 11-02-2013 at 09:09 PM.

NBA rookie of the year

Looks like a legit tear jerker.

   

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    I think the reasoning in the film is that the company who did the blood test insists they contact the other family, which starts everythign in motion. i think....
    i get that part, but i don't quite get the parents thinking it would ACTUALLY be a good idea to do a swap with the other kid.

no, the number of bonds a parent builds with a child in the first six years are off the charts IMO. genetics is pretty much a go-cart trying to chase a lambo at that point. :P

and then there's genetic expression, if you've read about that. as in, lifeforms who are deep friends / have love, will actually change their genetics to express compatibility.

those parents and each child actually changed their DNA and their neurochemistry to form a precious compatibility over those six years. swapping parents is bureaucratic nonsense at such point, likely leading to deep scars for all involved.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    i get that part, but i don't quite get the parents thinking it would ACTUALLY be a good idea to do a swap with the other kid.

no, the number of bonds a parent builds with a child in the first six years are off the charts IMO. genetics is pretty much a go-cart trying to chase a lambo at that point. :P

and then there's genetic expression, if you've read about that. as in, lifeforms who are deep friends / have love, will actually change their genetics to express compatibility.

those parents and each child actually changed their DNA and their neurochemistry to form a precious compatibility over those six years. swapping parents is bureaucratic nonsense at such point, likely leading to deep scars for all involved

Interestng