Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Is Ted Cruz a Natural Born Citizen?

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    Hamilton could have legally ran for president if he wanted to. Remember, the constitution was written while he was living in America so he would have been exempt. He just chose not to run. He was obsessed with making big money. A president wouldn't make as much money as Hamilton did as a banker.

Cruz is not exempt as he was born after Constitution was ratified. Constitution says you must be a NATURAL BORN citizen not just a citizen or someone born to citizen parent. Cruz was not born in USA aka not natural born citizen. Cruz would not be able to be eligible.
    Cruz is my first choice, but I think Donald Trump is right. You can't nominate someone who it's not clear if he's even eligible to be president. He should have asked for a declaratory judgement 3 or 4 years ago. It would have eventually made its way up to the Supreme Court and there would be a final answer on what a "natural born citizen" is. The election is less than a year away. There's just not enough time for that now.
    Last edited by NumberSix; 01-25-2016 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    To add on to my point...

Technically, a bunch of rafts and inner-tubes full of border jumpers could land 8 miles off the coast of Florida, all pop out their kids at once, and now they are all 'technically' citizens, despite having no relation or connection to the US whatsoever, except they were born in US waters.

Now, maybe its just me who sees that as... not as the founding fathers intended it to be.
    You're full of shit.

Cruz is a natural born Canadian because he was born in Canada.

That simple, case closed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    You're full of shit.

I have to agree with you. Cruz was born in Canada to a Cuban father and an American/Canadian mother (who it looks like had possibly renounced her American citizenship). I dont think he's eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    You're full of shit.

If his mother was an American citizen, he is an American by birth. You can argue natural born all you want, because naturally, he was born in Canada.

He's still a citizen if his mother was a citizen. There is no citizenship tests for babies.

If I happened to be born in Okinawa, I would consider myself an American citizen as if I was born here. That's just me, you can consider yourself whatever you want I guess. And, you can argue natural born all you want, but again, to me, Cruz is more of a US citizen then the 5,000,000 anchor babies we have living in the US.
    Last edited by UK2K; 01-25-2016 at 04:21 PM.

If his mother was an American citizen, he is an American by birth. You can argue natural born all you want, because naturally, he was born in Canada.

He's still a citizen if his mother was a citizen. There is no citizenship tests for babies.

If I happened to be born in Okinawa, I would consider myself an American citizen as if I was born here. That's just me, you can consider yourself whatever you want I guess. And, you can argue natural born all you want, but again, to me, Cruz is more of a US citizen then the 5,000,000 anchor babies we have living in the US.
    Citizen =/= natural born citizen.

The constitution doesn't say you have to be a citizen. It says you have to be a natural born citizen. Nobody is arguing whether Ted Cruz is a citizen. He is. We're saying that he isn't a natural born citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by DMV2
    You can go fck yourself with this comment, f[COLOR="Black"]agg[/COLOR]ot.

LOL, awhile back you bragging about having to pay 28% of your income to taxes. My naturalized citizen immigrant ass gives up the same rate, bitch. You're no more of an American than I am.
    "I pay my taxes!"

Good for you dipshit, you're supposed to.

Way to follow the rules like everyone else living here. The difference between us is, I don't look for recognition for doing shit I am supposed to be doing. Congrats on paying your taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Citizen =/= natural born citizen.

The constitution doesn't say you have to be a citizen. It says you have to be a natural born citizen. Nobody is arguing whether Ted Cruz is a citizen. He is. We're saying that he isn't a natural born citizen.
    I get what you're saying. Repeating it doesn't change anything.

A child of an American citizen is more American than the child of a Zimbabwe refugee who just barely made into US waters before shitting out her baby.

I'm down with HRC

He was born in Canada to American citizens.
    Nope.

His father was a Canadian citizen and only became a US citizen in 2005.

His father went there after having earlier obtained political asylum in the U.S. when his student visa ran out. He then got a green card, he says, and married Ted's mother, an American citizen. The two of them moved to Canada to work in the oil industry.

"I worked in Canada for eight years," Rafael Cruz says. "And while I was in Canada, I became a Canadian citizen."

The elder Cruz says he renounced his Canadian citizenship when he finally became a U.S. citizen in 2005 — 48 years after leaving Cuba. Why did he take so long to do it?
    Last edited by FillJackson; 01-25-2016 at 05:11 PM.

I get what you're saying. Repeating it doesn't change anything.

A child of an American citizen is more American than the child of a Zimbabwe refugee who just barely made into US waters before shitting out her baby.
    I'm not arguing that anchor babies are natural born citizens. I'm just telling you that Ted Cruz isn't either. It's not a competition between which non natural born citizens are more legitimate than the others.

[QUOTE=FillJackson]
    He was born in Canada to American citizens. /QUOTE]
    Nope.

His father was a Canadian citizen and only became a US citizen in 2005.
    So his mother was an American citizen... What part of what you posted refuted what I said?

Banned

Ted Cruz can be American. We don't want him.

Banned

No...he is not eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    I'm not arguing that anchor babies are natural born citizens. I'm just telling you that Ted Cruz isn't either. It's not a competition between which non natural born citizens are more legitimate than the others.
    Right. If the question is 'Does Ted Cruz fit the qualifications to be considered a 'natural born citizen' according to the Constitution'...

Then maybe. Depending on how the SC sees it I guess.

So his mother was an American citizen...
    Yes. An American citizen who appears to have renounced her American citizenship to become a Canadian and wasn't an American citizen at all when Ted was born.

I'm down with HRC

So his mother was an American citizen...
    Yes.

There's also reports that she appeared on a list of Canadian voters. To vote she would have to be a Canadian citizen, so folks are wondering if she sought Canadian citizenship.

But putting that aside, it seems like this is an instance that has not been settled. It's pretty much settled that Cruz is an American citizen at birth if his mother was an American citizen at the time. Doesn't matter the status of his father.

But one legal analysis I read said, he would be "naturalized at birth" and "not native-born." Whether or not that is true is the question.