Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-08-2019, 01:41 PM   #16
Hey Yo
7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Any other Craft Beer snobs here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus
Alcohol is poison.

Just drink water, and occasionally fruit juice.
I fart in your general direction!!
Hey Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:46 PM   #17
rufuspaul
Alpha Tarheel

IPAs can be good if the brewmaster doesn't overdo it with the hops. If done right it can be a thing of beauty. Unfortunately most brewers get it wrong.

I've always liked a good lager or pilsner from local breweries. It reminds me of when I lived in Germany. The beer was so good because it was fresh and hand crafted.

I've never been a fan of stouts but the Guiness, Murphys and Beamish I had in Ireland in March were outstanding.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:46 PM   #18
DaHeezy
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Yo
I most definitely like the flavor, but also like only having to drink 5-6 doubles or imperials to feel just as good as if I drank 8-10 domestics in one sitting

I'm not a sipping guy. Years go I had 2 jobs and by the time I got home, I'd eat and hurry up and drink about 8 beers over 2-3 hour span and go to bed. Get up and do it all over again, to where now, it's hard to just sip.

If it's a Stout like CBS (which I'm sure you're familiar with) then yeah, it's a sipper cause I really can't drink more than a few bombers of those types in a sitting.

I take it you like the alcohol content then?

Doubles and Imperials I do when I want to get drunk quicker or smoking a cigar. I'm surprised you can power through them. Definitely not the types I can down

Stouts are strictly a cold weather thing for me. I've had some serious CBS that were like pothole fillers. I like to keep the stouts basic like Guiness. I'm more a fan of the burnt side as opposed to chocolatey.
DaHeezy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:49 PM   #19
DaHeezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
IPAs can be good if the brewmaster doesn't overdo it with the hops. If done right it can be a thing of beauty. Unfortunately most brewers get it wrong.

I've always liked a good lager or pilsner from local breweries. It reminds me of when I lived in Germany. The beer was so good because it was fresh and hand crafted.

I've never been a fan of stouts but the Guiness, Murphys and Beamish I had in Ireland in March were outstanding.
You're a fan of true beer. Pilsner is as simple as it gets. But a fresh authentic Pilsner is a thing of beauty. People always regard Pilsner as cheap. That's because north america bastardized it and made it to be cost effective mass produced. True beer drinkers can appreciate an authentic Pilsner.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:51 PM   #20
Derka
Wicked F*ckin Retahded

I grew up south of Boston and was introduced to beer with Sam Adams Boston Lager and Harpoon IPA; I skipped Miller/Bud/Coors entirely. That was...call it 18 years ago and the scene has only gotten more vibrant since then. The US has come a long way in the quality of the brews it produces and there's just too much good stuff to go being a snob about it. Just drink and enjoy.

As for the Big 3 brands, it's all wasted on me. Put a Bud or a Miller on my tongue and I genuninely just can't taste anything but slightly grainy water with some carbonation. That said, if someone puts a free one in my hands I'm not going to be a snobby bitch and turn my nose up at it.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:57 PM   #21
insidehoops
Administrator

Fun discussion. Reading every word.
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:07 PM   #22
DaHeezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derka
I grew up south of Boston and was introduced to beer with Sam Adams Boston Lager and Harpoon IPA; I skipped Miller/Bud/Coors entirely. That was...call it 18 years ago and the scene has only gotten more vibrant since then. The US has come a long way in the quality of the brews it produces and there's just too much good stuff to go being a snob about it. Just drink and enjoy.

As for the Big 3 brands, it's all wasted on me. Put a Bud or a Miller on my tongue and I genuninely just can't taste anything but slightly grainy water with some carbonation. That said, if someone puts a free one in my hands I'm not going to be a snobby bitch and turn my nose up at it.

I love Sam Adams. That's the beer that started my journey. It was also the first beer I poured into a glass and didn't drink from a bottle. Still a classic beer.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:08 PM   #23
DaHeezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidehoops
Fun discussion. Reading every word.

Be patient. I've got enough haters there's bound to be someone who wants to ruin it
Old 08-08-2019, 02:08 PM   #24
Hey Yo
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHeezy
I take it you like the alcohol content then?

Doubles and Imperials I do when I want to get drunk quicker or smoking a cigar. I'm surprised you can power through them. Definitely not the types I can down

Stouts are strictly a cold weather thing for me. I've had some serious CBS that were like pothole fillers. I like to keep the stouts basic like Guiness. I'm more a fan of the burnt side as opposed to chocolatey.
Yep.

Too me, if I'm going to spend $11.99-$13.99 on a 4pk of 16oz'ers or for a 6pk of 12oz'ers, then it better be at least 7.5abv or higher. Cause most times after the last one is gone, I'm usually hankering for one more.

Seems like the a lot of the brewery's put their best imperials or double IPA's in 4pks and charge $12.99 to make ya buy two of them cause 4 beers aint cuttin' it for me.

The way I look at it though, the brewery right down the road from me charges 6-7 bucks for a 16oz pour at 7-8%abv. So at 12.99 for, it's a pretty good deal for that 4pk. Plus I don't have to worry what I look like while drinking in my man cave watching sports.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:08 PM   #25
ItsMillerTime
O LA DI PO

Also, I think it's kinda funny how early they release Oktoberfest beers now. My grocery store started displaying them in July lol. May as well just have them available year round. Good ass beers.
ItsMillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #26
DaHeezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Yo
Yep.

Too me, if I'm going to spend $11.99-$13.99 on a 4pk of 16oz'ers or for a 6pk of 12oz'ers, then it better be at least 7.5abv or higher. Cause most times after the last one is gone, I'm usually hankering for one more.

Seems like the a lot of the brewery's put their best imperials or double IPA's in 4pks and charge $12.99 to make ya buy two of them cause 4 beers aint cuttin' it for me.

The way I look at it though, the brewery right down the road from me charges 6-7 bucks for a 16oz pour at 7-8%abv. So at 12.99 for, it's a pretty good deal for that 4pk. Plus I don't have to worry what I look like while drinking in my man cave watching sports.

I'll ask about that. We don't make an Imperial or double. I do know when I bartend an Imperial is poured in a 12 oz snifter. Mainly due to cost and legal alcohol serving.
The brewer pouring you 16oz is excessive. I'm assuming it's a double IPA and not an Imperial. Most Imperials I've seen are even higher abv. I've seen up to 11%
Old 08-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #27
DaHeezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMillerTime
Also, I think it's kinda funny how early they release Oktoberfest beers now. My grocery store started displaying them in July lol. May as well just have them available year round. Good ass beers.

Oktoberfest is just a label for a good Pilsner or German lager. To me it should be sold year round. It's versatility screams for it
Old 08-08-2019, 02:17 PM   #28
DaHeezy

Man, can you tell I'm a beer ambassador? Talking beer gets me pumped
Old 08-08-2019, 02:17 PM   #29
ItsMillerTime
O LA DI PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
not a snob and normally don't care for craft beers...

having said that, this might be the best beer i ever tasted. shame they haven't made it in years.

Bells is a great brewery. Try Oberon or Two-Hearted if you haven't already.
ItsMillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:46 PM   #30
Hey Yo
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHeezy
I'll ask about that. We don't make an Imperial or double. I do know when I bartend an Imperial is poured in a 12 oz snifter. Mainly due to cost and legal alcohol serving.
The brewer pouring you 16oz is excessive. I'm assuming it's a double IPA and not an Imperial. Most Imperials I've seen are even higher abv. I've seen up to 11%
Yeah... most of what I've been describing is referring to DIPA from the brewery. Since their other styles are poured into your usual 16oz glass... I assumed the snifters were 16oz also. I very well could be wrong. The Imperials do usually start at 9% and up here.

One thing I noticed about a year ago, is that when chain sports bars have a seasonal from a brewery, they'll only pour 10oz which totally makes sense from a business standpoint
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: