Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-19-2019, 11:27 AM   #1
Bosnian Sajo
Bernie 2020

Default U.S. drone strike kills 30 pine nut farm workers in Afghanistan

Quote:
JALALABAD (Reuters) - A U.S. drone strike intended to hit an Islamic State (IS) hideout in Afghanistan killed at least 30 civilians resting after a day’s labor in the fields, officials said on Thursday.

The attack on Wednesday night also injured 40 people after accidentally targeting farmers and laborers who had just finished collecting pine nuts at mountainous Wazir Tangi in eastern Nangarhar province, three Afghan officials told Reuters.

“The workers had lit a bonfire and were sitting together when a drone targeted them,” tribal elder Malik Rahat Gul told Reuters by telephone from Wazir Tangi.

Afghanistan’s Defense Ministry and a senior U.S official in Kabul confirmed the drone strike, but did not share details of civilian casualties.

“U.S. forces conducted a drone strike against Da’esh (IS) terrorists in Nangarhar,” said Colonel Sonny Leggett, a spokesman for U.S. forces in Afghanistan. “We are aware of allegations of the death of non-combatants and are working with local officials to determine the facts.”

Haidar Khan, who owns the pine nut fields, said about 150 workers were there for harvesting, with some still missing as well as the confirmed dead and injured.

A survivor of the drone strike said about 200 laborers were sleeping in five tents pitched near the farm when the attack happened.

“Some of us managed to escape, some were injured but many were killed,” said Juma Gul, a resident of northeastern Kunar province who had traveled along with laborers to harvest and shell pine nuts this week.

The exact number of IS fighters is difficult to calculate because they frequently switch allegiances, but the U.S. military estimates there are about 2,000.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...rce=reddit.com

Just the USA killing more civilians and non combatants in the name of freedom and "intent" to kill Islamic State forces. Mind you, there are ONLY 2,000 of those ****ers in Afghanistan...how can you assume a group of people sitting around a lit bonfire are with IS and not just regular people trying to make a dollar?? This will inevitably get completely swept under the rug yet again and no one will bat an eye. It's ONLY TERRORISM when it happens to a non-Muslim country. But you can kill all the civilians you want in places like Afghanistan and get away with it.

Disgusting.
Bosnian Sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
scuzzy
blades of olympus

Default Re: U.S. drone strike kills 30 pine nut farm workers in Afghanistan

thank god they didn't strike the poppy plantation
scuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #3
Im so nba'd out
MaHung Fam!

Disgusting

I cant defend this bs
Im so nba'd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:32 AM   #4
Patrick Chewing
VOTE BREXIT

Mistakes happen. Sometimes bad intel is given. This isn't the first time something like this has happened, and it won't be the last.

Life goes on.
Patrick Chewing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:36 AM   #5
LAmbruh
Landslide honors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
Mistakes happen. Sometimes bad intel is given. This isn't the first time something like this has happened, and it won't be the last.

Life goes on.
Not for them

This is how terrorists recruit
LAmbruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:36 AM   #6
Bosnian Sajo
Bernie 2020

Quote:

Life goes on.

Is this the message you'd send to the families of these people who have to live the rest of their lives knowing their father/uncle/son/daughter were killed due to "bad intel"?

"Our bad, but mistakes happen. You guys will be ok. Remember, we are here for your benefit! Remember that and don't hate us!".

At what point does America become the terrorist and the "terrorist groups" become people defending themselves?
Old 09-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #7
Bosnian Sajo
Bernie 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAmbruh
Not for them

Bingo. Thank you, Lambruh. Only thing is idek if you can consider them terrorists after their loved ones get killed for no reason. To them, the US military is the terrorist...is it not?

This isn't just 30 people dead and 40 injured. Each and every one of those people have family and friends who are directly effected by this. How can we blame them for hating us?
Old 09-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #8
highwhey

question for trump supporters, is this winning?
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:43 AM   #9
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!

Quote:

Life goes on.

I refuse to believe you're a Catholic...killing is wrong and it's a mortal sin, especially when innocent people are involved.

Be gone demon! Into the depths of hell may you rot!
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:49 AM   #10
rufuspaul
Alpha Tarheel

Good thing this never happened under the Obama administration. Oh wait, it did, like thousands of times.

FYI the Taliban kill civilians all the time. Just yesterday they exploded a truck outside a hospital and killed dozens of women and children. When this happens the Taliban says it's the victim's fault for getting too close.

Quote:

200 laborers were sleeping in five tents

WTF? Were they stacked like firewood?
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:50 AM   #11
SomeBlackDude
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAmbruh

yep. makes their pitch to the public infinitely easier.

who would really blame the survivors of this, or afghanis in general, for becoming at the very least indifferent towards isil/al qaeda/the taliban?

and this is just one of many similar incidents, in several countries.
SomeBlackDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:52 AM   #12
highwhey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Good thing this never happened under the Obama administration. Oh wait, it did, like thousands of times.

FYI the Taliban kill civilians all the time. Just yesterday they exploded a truck outside a hospital and killed dozens of women and children. When this happens the Taliban says it's the victim's fault for getting too close.

WTF? Were they stacked like firewood?
and it wasn't ok under him either. this whole drone strike program seems like any loosely verified intel is enough to certify a drone strike...wtf?

it's literally creating new terrorists.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:54 AM   #13
Bosnian Sajo
Bernie 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul

Do you see anything about Trump or Obama in the OP? Idgaf who the president is.

Quote:

So if the Taliban do it, then it's fine if we do it. Is that seriously your rational?

I'm not affiliated in any way, shape, or form with that group. I AM HOWEVER, affiliated with the United States. This is my home and the country I reside in.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:02 PM   #14
Facepalm
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
Do you see anything about Trump or Obama in the OP? Idgaf who the president is.

So if the Taliban do it, then it's fine if we do it. Is that seriously your rational?

I'm not affiliated in any way, shape, or form with that group. I AM HOWEVER, affiliated with the United States. This is my home and the country I reside in.
He's pre-conditioned to defend, obfuscate, and deny anything and everything Trump related. Even if we aren't talking about him. Trumpettes can't help themselves.
Facepalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:04 PM   #15
Rolando
Local High School Star

Good thing the recent peace talks fell apart....phew! That was close. Got to keep those troops in there to support the upcoming war in Iran. That was the plan all along anyway....It has just taken a bit longer than anticipated....Hence the endless "war" in Afghanistan.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: