Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Re: Stephen A. Smith Articulately Destroys Excessive Tattoo Culture

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    That's my point, tattoos aren't dumb, but dumb tattoos are dumb. The mistake wasn't the act of getting the tattoo it was choosing that specific tattoo.
    It's also about where you get the tattoo. Smith is right when he says having visible tattoos on a job interview are a negative. You tattoo your neck, knuckles, etc. and a lot of employers won't like the way you would represent their business. So they don't hire you. That's just a fact.
    Also it really really surprises me that people consider SAS articulate.
    Not an issue I care much about either way but he speaks clearly. Maybe you don't like how he slips in and out of slang but it's not a problem for me.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

This is actually quite simple. People can do whatever they want to their own bodies. Employers can make any excuse not to hire you, and it is a shame if tattoos are the reason. Whether the shame is on them or the shame is on you, it's up for you to contemplate. If you had "made" it, you have little to worry about. Otherwise, there are other ways to express yourself.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    It's also about where you get the tattoo. Smith is right when he says having visible tattoos on a job interview are a negative. You tattoo your neck, knuckles, etc. and a lot of employers won't like the way you would represent their business. So they don't hire you. That's just a fact.Not an issue I care much about either way but he speaks clearly. Maybe you don't like how he slips in and out of slang but it's not a problem for me.
    People make a big deal out of it, but I don't think people with neck and knuckle tattoos are applying to corporate jobs. I'm sure there are exceptions, but if you're in that world and too proud to laser off those locations then you're gonna have more workplace problems than just your tattoos.

I feel like he stumbles over his words constantly. He has a good vocabulary and can make points, but he's not a smooth speaker IMO. Maybe because he's so emotional also.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    People make a big deal out of it, but I don't think people with neck and knuckle tattoos are applying to corporate jobs. I'm sure there are exceptions, but if you're in that world and too proud to laser off those locations then you're gonna have more workplace problems than just your tattoos.
    Smith's point is that we have young people, too young to appreciate the ramifications of the tattoo, just thinking it looks cool, getting these tats done and thus limiting themselves in the job market. And it's not just the corporate work world, plenty of other jobs don't want to have someone on their staff with a skull tattooed on their face or whatever it is.

Good High School Starter AussieG's Avatar

How many in this topic who have defended tattoos have excessive tattoos themselves?

They are just expression of your body. It's art. It's just like your personality itself.. are you going to change it to make someone else happy? Be who you wanna be. But don't complain if acting a certain way (like a douchebag) means you don't have friends or a job and don't complain if your tattoos restrict you from getting a job, or getting looks from people. Because it's natural to expect that. But also, don't let it stop you from expressing yourself.

The sheep aren't the ones who get tattoos, the sheep are the ones that change themselves to try and fit in with others (by getting tattoos) or by trying to be normal..

Just be yourself.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

I didn't watch it, but if he was talking about how black bball players influence kids who watch them and that leads to them getting ridiculously tatted up, then he is correct.

And if he is saying that getting tatted up on your whole body like that will decrease their changes of getting good jobs, then he is correct. It doesn't matter if it is wrong that older corporate people look down upon tattoos. The fact is that they do. And so Stephen A Smith would be correct if he said this.

Two-Time Oscar MVP robert de niro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    I didn't watch it, but if he was talking about how black bball players influence kids who watch them and that leads to them getting ridiculously tatted up, then he is correct.

And if he is saying that getting tatted up on your whole body like that will decrease their changes of getting good jobs, then he is correct. It doesn't matter if it is wrong that older corporate people look down upon tattoos. The fact is that they do. And so Stephen A Smith would be correct if he said this.
    I agree. You are correct about him being correct.

If you're a black athlete, it's required that you have a tattoo. Otherwise, you're a white muthaf*cka wannabe.

with that MPC swing. Brokenbeat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Meh. Tattoos on black people is like skywriting at night.

Basketball Genius

some people get tattoos due to depression or obsession. instead of cutting themselves they go to the tattoo parlor and the pain/stimulus of it is what they feel they "deserve" to feel.

but that is pretty rare and tattoos are only as meaningful as the person getting them. it's not inherently good or bad it all depends on the person.

Nothing wrong with getting a tattoo.

If you get a tattoo on your hands, face, or neck, and you aren't already famous and rich, then you're an idiot.

the problem with smith is, hes very articulate but not very educated.
    he blabbers on and on without saying anything but you gotta look the business.
    that will change. he's a dork.