Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Royce White: Releases Statement - Wants Private Bus At Times

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Exlax
    He didn't say he wouldn't play ever folks. I mean fu*k let's just say he's injured. He's working on a plan to get himself healthy. The Rockets knew he did not fly before they drafted him. Shit so he misses training camp. Hell let's say he misses all season. It's not the end of his career. If he gets it all together then the Rockets come away looking like crooks because they got so much talent that late in the draft.
    Not sure if serious.

Missing training camp would be a big deal. Missing the entire season would be a massive deal.

The season hasn't even started yet and this dude is already having to miss time because of this disorder. I'm not trying to be unsympathetic, but honestly, he's not off to good start. We can only hope he'll "get used to it" or something.

Wow, some people here are ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    This will sound a little silly, but if Royce wants to help his mental health....he should ask for a trade to an Eastern Conference team, preferably Atlantic Division team...Knicks/Nets/Sixers/Celtics.....

Why? Because flight times are much shorter or he can bus it easily to those places. If he was on the Nets, for example, no traveling to Knicks, only 2 hour drive 76ers, 4 hours to DC, 4 hours to Boston....plus short flights to MidWest teams......with only one West Coast road trip to make........

Hey, if his mental health is that important, make it easier on himself.........

I actually think this makes some sense. I don't know how bad the schedule will be for the Rockets (in the future, maybe the NBA takes tis into consideration) but this makese sense.

And really, shame on his agent for not spreading the word. Common sense. Maybe even try to get him close to home. He was probably too scared of having the guy's stock and money drop. Should have been more concerned with the player and his needs.

I have no problem with him wanting to get these accommodations, but why now? Why didn't he speak with the team when he first signed his contract? Sounds to me like he didn't want to go to training camp and he's using this as an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    If you watch his ability to play you'd know he does belong in the NBA. But his life off the court requires some special needs. If the NBA is able to work with him (and I really hope they are) than he should be able to play. I'm pulling for the guy, mental health disorders are a challenge and people who have them could use potential role models and success stories like this guy could potentially provide. He is open about his problems, he knows what his needs are - as long as they are addressed he should be able to play.
    I agree. Hope this guy succeeds.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

There's no viable way for him to be an NBA player if he has to take a damn bus everywhere.

Morey with another bust

#mostoverratedGMintheleague

I remember soccer team Arsenal had similar problems with their star Dennis Bergkamp.

lol @ the people in this thread saying smoke weed and drink prior to or during a flight and problem solved. As someone who has what he has, I can tell you that smoking weed and drinking don't help. Especially weed. Weed is an anxiety sufferers worst nightmare. Drinking I guess when you drink enough does calm you down at least while under the influence but it's the same effect as taking a xanax or something. It'll calm you down for the moment but make you feel worse when it wears off.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
    I have no problem with him wanting to get these accommodations, but why now? Why didn't he speak with the team when he first signed his contract? Sounds to me like he didn't want to go to training camp and he's using this as an excuse.
    This is a great point.. If his concern is having proper accommodation because of health issues, he should have addressed this ASAP.. The time he chose and the way it's occurring, either some details are left out or there's ulterior motives.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy11
    Not sure if serious.

Missing training camp would be a big deal. Missing the entire season would be a massive deal.

The season hasn't even started yet and this dude is already having to miss time because of this disorder. I'm not trying to be unsympathetic, but honestly, he's not off to good start. We can only hope he'll "get used to it" or something.
    I'm dead serious.

I mean bro this is just his first season. We aren't going all in on this kid in his first season. He's not the savior of the franchise right now.

I say let him take some time and get right. He's not being a distraction. He's not blowing up on teammates or raping bitches or getting his father killed by not paying gambling debts. He's simply missing training camp to deal with his mental health instead of waiting until something bad happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeN
    This is a great point.. If his concern is having proper accommodation because of health issues, he should have addressed this ASAP.. The time he chose and the way it's occurring, either some details are left out or there's ulterior motives.
    Everybody knew about his disorder before this. The only reason he fell so low in the draft was because of this. The Rockets were the only ones willing to take a chance on him. I can't say if it's good or bad because his career hasn't really even started.

NBA sixth man of the year

I'm dead serious.

I mean bro this is just his first season. We aren't going all in on this kid in his first season. He's not the savior of the franchise right now.

I say let him take some time and get right. He's not being a distraction. He's not blowing up on teammates or raping bitches or getting his father killed by not paying gambling debts. He's simply missing training camp to deal with his mental health instead of waiting until something bad happens.
    Taking a year off from the lifestyle and routine that would be required of him is not going to help him at all. He has to know what he's up against, and he can't do that if he's holed up at home away from everything. He needs to be in training camp right now. He needs to be with the team. He needs to be meeting this head on. He can get on Twitter all he wants and talk about how proactive he's being, but the fact remains that he's nowhere to be found right now. If that's proactive, I'd hate to see reactive.

Banned

Everybody knew about his disorder before this. The only reason he fell so low in the draft was because of this. The Rockets were the only ones willing to take a chance on him. I can't say if it's good or bad because his career hasn't really even started.

Well im really not disputing the mental health claims and whether its fair or whatever.

Im simply stating that if everyone was aware as you say, including the Rockets.. and if White knew that he would need to make these adjustments.. Why hasnt it all been taken care of already? Why wait until training camp to seek these personal adjustments? Seems a bit suspect or maybe its just irresponsible behavior that is typical of people with mental issues. Either way its not good to have someone unstable being impulsive with their demands.

He knows he has these issues so its his responsibility to seek treatment and try to learn which adjustment methods need to be implemented. There are various ways to help curve his issues, he just has to put the effort and desire to actually make it happen. If he doesnt get motivated and try to progressively change.. he will either be riding buses his whole career while making less money than his potential or the teams that will be willing to deal with him, will start diminishing.

There is therapy for what he has.. but it takes a lot of hard work and a willing spirit. He has to suffer before he succeeds. Which is why hes making all these adjustments... hes not ready to face the facts yet.

The one thing about it is, it's actually his illness speaking for him when he says that he needs the bus in order for him to be healthy. It couldn't be further from the truth, but it's our tendency. Fear never happens in the present. It only happens when either anticipating some future disaster, or when remembering something that has happened in the past. In his case, it was anticipation. He initially said, "ok this is gonna be tough, but I can handle it." And then as the schedule came out he said "oh no, I have to be on a plane X____ amount of times, what if I can't handle it? What if I freak out on the plane? What if the schedule is too demanding for me? What if I can't handle playing in the NBA?"

Now, i'm not saying all of that justifies being back and forth in regards to the business aspect of it which is the NBA, i'm rather just explaining to you the irrational thoughts that go through the mind of someone with this problem and how real those thoughts and worries feel.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

I have anxiety disorders and OCD and it can be hell. He probably has social anxiety too which makes him anxious around people. I would think he is on some kind of ssri or tricyclic antidepressant (the older ones before they came out with ssri's) that lean towards helping anxiety and ocd more so than depression. He could be on luvox, celexa, lexapro or what I was just put on was Clomipramine which is one of the older TCA's, but it is supposed to work better than the newer drugs for OCD and anxiety. I would think he would be on some kind of benzo too when he's really stressed out. I'm prescribed 60 2mg klonopin to take twice a day as needed.

People that say just smoke weed are stupid. I've smoked a lot of bud in my day, but when you have anxiety disorders the marijuana can only make it worse. You've heard of regular people who get paranoid or really anxious when they smoke. I've had that happen to me because of my anxiety disorders and it's only worse. Usually if i'm smoking in an comfortable situation it doesn't affect me that way but if I'm already anxious and I smoked it would just make it worse and make me extremely paranoid.

Drinking would definitely help as you just don't care when intoxicated, but that is why so many people with these disorders become alcoholics. I've had my run in with alcoholism and am only getting out of it the last 6 months. Drinking is the worst possible self medication he could choose.