Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: The Magic Just Got Robbed

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Sure.

It's all about where Love is willing to play. I still say the Warriors package makes the most sense and Love is willing to play there.

Is Love really willing to commit to the Nuggets? I don't see that happening.

To me it's either the Warriors or Bulls.

And the Warriors makes the most sense for Love in my opinion. Both would be great though.

Either way the warriors are going to make the playoffs. And the West is getting out of hand. If Love stays West and Melo comes West...it needs to change this year.

It's getting out of hand.

And yes. If you ignore last year. Afflalo for Fournier, space, and a pick is a fine deal...but I really like Fournier so I might be a little biased. But obviously the Magic hugely ****ed up last year.
    Yeah I edited to say that the non-trade of Affaflo was a mistake, but I'm sure that they can acquire some other picks/assets after this. If they fail to do so, my opinion will change. If HOU dumps Lin before draft (it seems that with news of Asik trade they're landing somebody big), they could take on Lin + #25 and/or do Prince + #22 in salary dump. I agree with you they blew the AA situation (inflated record and didn't get peak value in return for him). As far as Denver goes, they can keep AA and hope they're healthy to make a playoff push (especially with their late lotto pick intact). I only mentioned that because I saw a report saying a re-routing of Affalo may be a piece of their package of Love.

I think Love's preferred spot seems to be GSW. I am honestly a little surprised they won't move Thompson to get him yet, knowing next summer he'll get some offer of $10M+ per year as a RFA. From Minnesota's perspective, I don't particularly like the haul (I'm low on Lee at this point), unless they get GSW to actually take on Martin + Barea and pry a future first and Green from GSW. Flip's a little crazy imo if he thinks he's got a good shot at playoffs next year with the reported return. Just too many good teams. Better to not take on long-term salary, hoard picks, and obtain/keep young assets. From GSW's perspective, they have to make this deal to actually get to WCF/Finals.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwishSquared
    Yeah I edited to say that the non-trade of Affaflo was a mistake, but I'm sure that they can acquire some other picks/assets after this. If they fail to do so, my opinion will change. If HOU dumps Lin before draft (it seems that with news of Asik trade they're landing somebody big), they could take on Lin + #25 and/or do Prince + #22 in salary dump. I agree with you they blew the AA situation (inflated record and didn't get peak value in return for him). As far as Denver goes, they can keep AA and hope they're healthy to make a playoff push (especially with their late lotto pick intact). I only mentioned that because I saw a report saying a re-routing of Affalo may be a piece of their package of Love.

I think Love's preferred spot seems to be GSW. I am honestly a little surprised they won't move Thompson to get him yet, knowing next summer he'll get some offer of $10M+ per year as a RFA. From Minnesota's perspective, I don't particularly like the haul (I'm low on Lee at this point), unless they get GSW to actually take on Martin + Barea and pry a future first and Green from GSW. Flip's a little crazy imo if he thinks he's got a good shot at playoffs next year with the reported return. Just too many good teams. Better to not take on long-term salary, hoard picks, and obtain/keep young assets. From GSW's perspective, they have to make this deal to actually get to WCF/Finals.
    Agreed.

The Warriors will cave on Thompson. Dude is going to get paid 12 million plus in free agency. No reason to keep hold onto him because he's actually not worth that.

It's amazing how these teams don't understand value. Love is just so much more valuable here than Thompson/Lee at a combined 27 million or whatever. Not to mention that Martin is a solid player as well. And Barea is a nice backup on an expiring deal.

It's a home run for both teams in my opinion. Even if Thompson doesn't want to stay in Minny...they'll be able to flip him for a high draft pick and go that route if they need to.

Considering the Wolves are kind of locked in to compete now and have, in my opinion, a team that Thompson and Lee fit in well on...I see no reason not to try it.

Would we really be shocked if Rubio/Thompson/Buddinger/Lee/Pek won 45 games or more if healthy...with the likes of Brewer/Dieng/Luc/Cunningham off the bench?

I wouldn't be shocked at all...that is a good roster that actually fits better in my opinion than they did with Love. That is a team build to not play superstar ball.

Decent college freshman

Agreed.

The Warriors will cave on Thompson. Dude is going to get paid 12 million plus in free agency. No reason to keep hold onto him because he's actually not worth that.

It's amazing how these teams don't understand value. Love is just so much more valuable here than Thompson/Lee at a combined 27 million or whatever. Not to mention that Martin is a solid player as well. And Barea is a nice backup on an expiring deal.

It's a home run for both teams in my opinion. Even if Thompson doesn't want to stay in Minny...they'll be able to flip him for a high draft pick and go that route if they need to.

Considering the Wolves are kind of locked in to compete now and have, in my opinion, a team that Thompson and Lee fit in well on...I see no reason not to try it.

Would we really be shocked if Rubio/Thompson/Buddinger/Lee/Pek won 45 games or more if healthy...with the likes of Brewer/Dieng/Luc/Cunningham off the bench?

I wouldn't be shocked at all...that is a good roster that actually fits better in my opinion than they did with Love. That is a team build to not play superstar ball.
    I think Minny can't play Lee & Pek together. This team actually needs rim protection and should start Dieng. Pek would crush guys off the bench; I don't think that Pek can play alongside Dieng either, even with his developing mid-range game. Problem is Pek is making big $$$ and is basically too pricey to come off the bench.

Your proposal yields an unselfish team for sure, but they'll be first round fodder at best imo. Likely miss playoffs with the way WC seems to be shaping up, barring injury. I also don't trust that core to stay healthy. Buddinger, Lee, and Pek now all have at least 2 seasons in which they've missed at least some significant time and they'd arguably have 0 guys who are top 20 players, and it's hard to win in arguably toughest conference ever without that top-level talent.

Aside from Dieng, I don't like that bench you listed too much. Brewer is nice, but on majority of nights he's not a half court offensive threat and is an overrated defender. Rubio still can't shoot and Lee can't shoot 3s, which will hurt their spacing. I don't want to sound too pessimistic, but I don't see it. Next summer, they have to either re-up Thompson at a huge value or try to get something in a S&T scenario (or mid-season trade). They can easily flip him to LAL for #7, which could be worth a look, but it sounds like they want established players.

I am being too harsh on the haul, but I predict this is going to at best keep them in same position, missing the playoffs. I guess only good thing though is that by time Thompson's theoretical big extension kicks in, Lee will be an expiring contract. I think Rubio is an RFA next summer too, though, so that's something to consider.

I rule the local playground Fork's Avatar

There's a reason for everything

I think Minny can't play Lee & Pek together. This team actually needs rim protection and should start Dieng. Pek would crush guys off the bench; I don't think that Pek can play alongside Dieng either, even with his developing mid-range game. Problem is Pek is making big $$$ and is basically too pricey to come off the bench.

Your proposal yields an unselfish team for sure, but they'll be first round fodder at best imo. Likely miss playoffs with the way WC seems to be shaping up, barring injury. I also don't trust that core to stay healthy. Buddinger, Lee, and Pek now all have at least 2 seasons in which they've missed at least some significant time and they'd arguably have 0 guys who are top 20 players, and it's hard to win in arguably toughest conference ever without that top-level talent.

Aside from Dieng, I don't like that bench you listed too much. Brewer is nice, but on majority of nights he's not a half court offensive threat and is an overrated defender. Rubio still can't shoot and Lee can't shoot 3s, which will hurt their spacing. I don't want to sound too pessimistic, but I don't see it. Next summer, they have to either re-up Thompson at a huge value or try to get something in a S&T scenario (or mid-season trade). They can easily flip him to LAL for #7, which could be worth a look, but it sounds like they want established players.

I am being too harsh on the haul, but I predict this is going to at best keep them in same position, missing the playoffs. I guess only good thing though is that by time Thompson's theoretical big extension kicks in, Lee will be an expiring contract. I think Rubio is an RFA next summer too, though, so that's something to consider.
    First round fodder would be a huge improvement. I like Dieng, Pek, Lee more than you, but no doubt it's not ideal.

But what else should they really do?

This gets them out of the Martin contract as well and they get a pick. And Thompson is worth a high pick if they move him.

I mean...Love has all the power. I'm hearing Denver might take Love as a rental...and if that is the case...their deal might be the best.

But Love isn't going to the Cavs...so a huge haul might just not exist.

Guess they wanted to clear more cap space for those free agents lined up to come to Orlando.

Cap Space > Players....always. Team with most cap space wins.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    Guess they wanted to clear more cap space for those free agents lined up to come to Orlando.

Cap Space > Players....always. Team with most cap space wins.
    Well, they had to trade Afflalo...just like if they bring back Nelson...they will have to trade him as well.

They just did it at the wrong time. Keeping Afflalo here another year would be even dumber than this trade.

Decent college freshman

First round fodder would be a huge improvement. I like Dieng, Pek, Lee more than you, but no doubt it's not ideal.

But what else should they really do?

This gets them out of the Martin contract as well and they get a pick. And Thompson is worth a high pick if they move him.

I mean...Love has all the power. I'm hearing Denver might take Love as a rental...and if that is the case...their deal might be the best.

But Love isn't going to the Cavs...so a huge haul might just not exist.
    I think they'd miss playoffs until Lee/Buddinger/Brewer expire honestly. 2/3 of that group are nice offensive pieces but get banged up a lot. They'd be lucky to get to playoffs as a low seed. They'd be treading water at best imo and that's not a place you want to be in this NBA. Won't tank but not good enough to make playoff noise. I just don't think they surpass Phoenix with this trade b/c Phoenix was a 6 seed until Bledsoe got hurt and Dallas will make playoffs if team is healthy. Spurs, LAC, OKC, HOU, & GSW are playoff teams and I expect Memphis to be back too, depending on how Z-Bo situation plays out. Portland should continue contending for a seed, or at least I'd expect it. I just think a team would have to implode for them to sneak in, which can happen, but that's not how they should approach this imo.

Well, only way he'd go to Cavs would be if LBJ also came (but I'm not going there). If that happened, he'd def go there. He wants a great city, but I think he wants to win titles. He'd definitely win rings on that squad. 1 out of 2 isn't too bad I guess lol.

If Denver is willing to only go for a rental and offers Affalo + Faried + #11 + filler for Love + Martin + Barea, then that's their best deal that I guess is on the table, based on that they want to cut dead weight contracts, get vets, and make playoff push. Minnesota's roster and cap obligations are kinda wonky, so it makes it hard to gain cap flexibility, picks, young talent, and still compete. I think Love should think about Phoenix for package based on Bledsoe S&T + picks.

I kinda like shipping top 10 talents to the other conference and the Embiid injury messed up the top of the draft somewhat, but expirings + slew of picks + potential cap relief+ young guys from Boston is a good haul if a full reboot is desired, but Flip won't blow it up.

What the hell? The Hornets would've offered Gerald Henderson and the 45th pick.

Good college starter Relinquish's Avatar

Melo and Bran to the Magic confirmed.

I think they'd miss playoffs until Lee/Buddinger/Brewer expire honestly. 2/3 of that group are nice offensive pieces but get banged up a lot. They'd be lucky to get to playoffs as a low seed. They'd be treading water at best imo and that's not a place you want to be in this NBA. Won't tank but not good enough to make playoff noise. I just don't think they surpass Phoenix with this trade b/c Phoenix was a 6 seed until Bledsoe got hurt and Dallas will make playoffs if team is healthy. Spurs, LAC, OKC, HOU, & GSW are playoff teams and I expect Memphis to be back too, depending on how Z-Bo situation plays out. Portland should continue contending for a seed, or at least I'd expect it. I just think a team would have to implode for them to sneak in, which can happen, but that's not how they should approach this imo.

Well, only way he'd go to Cavs would be if LBJ also came (but I'm not going there). If that happened, he'd def go there. He wants a great city, but I think he wants to win titles. He'd definitely win rings on that squad. 1 out of 2 isn't too bad I guess lol.

If Denver is willing to only go for a rental and offers Affalo + Faried + #11 + filler for Love + Martin + Barea, then that's their best deal that I guess is on the table, based on that they want to cut dead weight contracts, get vets, and make playoff push. Minnesota's roster and cap obligations are kinda wonky, so it makes it hard to gain cap flexibility, picks, young talent, and still compete. I think Love should think about Phoenix for package based on Bledsoe S&T + picks.

I kinda like shipping top 10 talents to the other conference and the Embiid injury messed up the top of the draft somewhat, but expirings + slew of picks + potential cap relief+ young guys from Boston is a good haul if a full reboot is desired, but Flip won't blow it up.
    That's the problem. A complete blow up is probably the way to go, but from what I'm hearing...that is off the table.

So I don't know how you do much better than dumping Martin's contract...and getting Lee/Thompson and a first round pick....because it gives you options. If you do want to do a blow up. Thompson is worth a lottery pick and Lee is on an expiring contract after next season.

I don't know who is going to blink first on this stuff...but I still think that is the deal that gets done.

NBA sixth man of the year NugzFan's Avatar

Denver said they aren't flipping afflalo

lol @ the magic fans objecting to nearly every other trade scenario for afflalo shitty franchise shitty decisions

Decent college freshman

That's the problem. A complete blow up is probably the way to go, but from what I'm hearing...that is off the table.

So I don't know how you do much better than dumping Martin's contract...and getting Lee/Thompson and a first round pick....because it gives you options. If you do want to do a blow up. Thompson is worth a lottery pick and Lee is on an expiring contract after next season.

I don't know who is going to blink first on this stuff...but I still think that is the deal that gets done.
    They need to blow it up, but Flip won't stand for it. I'd take the best package of picks + cap relief + young guys and shop Pekovic even if I was running the show (but Flip wants to tread water). I see your point and I too believe it's the deal that gets done. Just think it's wrong direction.

Good convo

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Magic still tanking?

The season is over, dude.

Who do they want in the next draft?