Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    rank sentamentalist

Default Jogging late at night

So I've just started going for runs pretty late into the night, after I get home from work, which is after midnight. I'm severely out of shape, and want to get back into the thick of things so that I *might* have a chance of making my University basketball team (although my hopes aren't all that high). I've done it 4 days in a row now, but I was talking to a friend, and he told me that the body shuts down a little before midnight, and it's not actually good for you to exercise past that time. That's the 'designated time' for sleep. He said the morning or evening is better.

I also heard from someone that you shouldn't exercise each and every day, and that it's better to do it every second day.

Anyone know if there's any truth to these two things?

Default Re: Jogging late at night

Your body has an internal clock. You jogging after midnight throws it out of wack. And it is by far a weird time to be jogging.

Cardio everyday isnt bad at all.

meh it's probably true, but I used to run long distances, +30km, starting at hours like 11 pm or 1 am (ironically enough I did this in Halifax). And I didn't die, so I can't see anything wrong with it.

As for exercising every day, I think that's fine, but you do need a break here and there, maybe only exercise 5/7 days a week or something

I also run around midnight, and I don't really buy the internal clock thing making it awful thing.

And cardio everyday is no problem. I think the every second day thing is true for weights and such.

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Your body has an internal clock. You jogging after midnight throws it out of wack. And it is by far a weird time to be jogging.
    But if I've been staying up until 1:00-1:30 for the past while anyways, wouldn't that affect my internal clock, and make it, I dunno, later? Or does that do anything?

Are early mornings better?

Banned

he told me that the body shuts down a little before midnight, and it's not actually good for you to exercise past that time. That's the 'designated time' for sleep. He said the morning or evening is better.
    For normal people maybe. Not if you adjust and change your schedule like I have. I don't think I've ever gone running in the daytime, ever. When the clock strikes midnight is when my body BEGINS its day. Mind too. I just kill time during the day. At night I'm a whirlwind of activity.

Whenever you feel the most energized is when you should run is what I think. But I'm no expert. It's probably not totally healthy to be a nightowl like me. If your cycle isn't horribly off whack like mine is you probably shouldn't pursue it. But if you're working until midnight it would seem as if you're not operating on a normal schedule anyway.

Where do you work / go to school?

High School Varsity 6th Man GoldNugg21's Avatar

It just depends on when you're getting your sleep. If your body is accustomed to being awake till 2, it isn't a problem to run that late. If midnight is when you usually go to bed, it's more of an issue.

If you're young, though, your body will be able to adjust to the changed schedule. Just don't sleep immediately after running.

rank sentamentalist

meh it's probably true, but I used to run long distances, +30km, starting at hours like 11 pm or 1 am (ironically enough I did this in Halifax).
    Screw inner city running. I'm out in the boonies. Sort of. :)
    Where do you work / go to school?
    Heh, Wendy's.
    Just don't sleep immediately after running.
    How come?

Uhh, the OT Forum is thataway. ---->

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by basketballer4
    Uhh, the OT Forum is thataway. ---->
    OMGZ, im SOOOOOOOOOO sry!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    So I've just started going for runs pretty late into the night, after I get home from work, which is after midnight. I'm severely out of shape, and want to get back into the thick of things so that I *might* have a chance of making my University basketball team (although my hopes aren't all that high). I've done it 4 days in a row now, but I was talking to a friend, and he told me that the body shuts down a little before midnight, and it's not actually good for you to exercise past that time. That's the 'designated time' for sleep. He said the morning or evening is better.

I also heard from someone that you shouldn't exercise each and every day, and that it's better to do it every second day.

Anyone know if there's any truth to these two things?
    I run 4 miles every other morning. It's best to run in the mornings on a relatively empty stomach. You'll lose weight much more quickly since your body is forced to tap into fat reserves as opposed to calories that are readily available during the day. You also get a better run, especially if you've had a good night's sleep, because you're refreshed and your body feels as if it can go longer and harder. When you run at the end of the day, your body may already feel a bit tired and you're less likely to go as far or go as fast as you would in the morning. It's not so much that your body shuts down, but that you've been awake and about for so long that it needs rest at the end of the day.

Depending on where you run, and how far, it's vital that you space out your running. You can do damage to your knees, ankles and calves if you run on hard surfaces like pavement too much. Give your joints and muscles a day to rest between runs... You can use that day to work on other muscle groups.

When you're starting off, give yourself about 2 days between runs... maybe for the first 2 or 3 times you hit the track...

Most important thing to do when you run in the mornings is to stretch. Because muscles and joints are relatively stiff in the mornings after waking up, you're more likely to pull or tweak something while running in the mornings. Make sure to stretch and walk for about 10 minutes before you start.

High School Varsity 6th Man GoldNugg21's Avatar

How come?
    It's not good for your body to go straight from physical exertion, where your heartbeat is raised and you're consuming alot of energy, to sleep, where your heartbeat is lowered and you're in conservation mode. It isn't usually easy to sleep right after working out either, for the same reason. You need to give your body time to cool down.

depends on how your day is. If you wake up early in the morning usually then do a lot, then its probably better to run during more conventional hours. If you sleep in late like myself, go to work around 3-5 then get off and run, I dont see the harm.

NBA rookie of the year

if you are out of shape, modify your diet first.

there is no instant panacea for being fat. Obesity can only be quelled through diet, persistent exercise, and patience.